Herp Movie (another movie added)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

LouB747

Herp Movie (another movie added)

Post by LouB747 »

Ok, not really a full on movie, but a 40 minute video I made of a recent trip to Singapore. Anyways, it's all shot on a GoPro, which has it's limitations. I initially made this for my family, so you'll have to excuse the longer shots. I also had to delete the background music in spots due to YouTube restrictions. That left the audio a bit high/low in areas. All this said, I think you'll enjoy it. As a lot of it is nighttime herping, you're best to watch in a dark room. Also, watching in 1080 or 720 is best (again due to GoPro) on as big a monitor as possible.

Any comments and criticism welcome....

Lou

John Martin

Re: Herp Movie

Post by John Martin »

Cool movie! I haven't watched the entire movie yet (about 60%) but what I have seen was very interesting and I intend to finish it later. I went to Singapore on two occasions back in the late '90's, working at the IBM plant with an engineering company. My boss (and good friend) took me to Pulau Ubin - I remember the rental mountain bikes lined up as soon as you got off the "boat". We rented those and happened to meet a Mr. Tan who accompanied us and knew the island like the back of his hand. He was doing various biological studies on the island - any chance you've met him?
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks. The last 40% is where most of the action is. It's a little drawn out in the beginning. The music I had to delete helped it move along a little quicker. I only spent one evening on Ubin. I didn't meet Mr Tan. I'm guessing my friend Noel Thomas who works there knows him. Maybe I'll run into him next time.

Thanks for the support. As simple as this video seems, it took quite awhile to sort through all the footage.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

LouB747 wrote:As simple as this video seems, it took quite awhile to sort through all the footage.
I can imagine! :shock:
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Never mind the snakes, lah - the first 2.5 minutes shot from the cockpit view of a giant cargo aircraft is something most of us mortal travelers will never be able to achieve. Well scripted and executed, Lou!

Now, back to the movie :-)
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Thanks, much enjoyed!
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

LOVED the flash back to the Malaysian Blue!
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks guys. I actually thought the flying scenes were too long and cut most of them out.

I wish I wasn't so excited and basically unable to video the blue coral when I first saw it. The video is pretty shaky in the beginning. I'm ready for the next encounter!
Craig

Post by Craig »

I'm a pilot. Love the aviation footage :)

Craig
Azemiops

Post by Azemiops »

Zach_Lim wrote:LOVED the flash back to the Malaysian Blue!
Agreed! I reacted with similar disbelief the first time I saw one - great that you got it on video.
Tim Leerschool

Post by Tim Leerschool »

Very nice video indeed. Really like the beginning with all the flipping at your first stop. Share the excitement of hoping that something will be flipped! And in the end the blue coral snake is off course a treat for the eyes. Enjoyed it!

With the best regards,

Tim
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks so much guys for the support. Going to try and make a second better one soon.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Just finished a second movie. OK, not a movie. But 30 mins. YouTube deleted my opening and closing music. Those segments are a little strange without music. Anyways, I hope you enjoy it. Best watched at 720 or 1080.

Lou
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Again enjoyed!
LouB747

Re: Herp Movie (2nd movie added)

Post by LouB747 »

While this is just a drop in the bucket as far as YouTube goes, it's still a great feeling for me personally.

I hit 1000 views on my first herp "movie".

Thanks for watching guys. More to follow.

Lou

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Congrats!
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks Hans. Looking forward to getting back out there!
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

What program are you using to edit your GoPro vids?
fickle-minder

Post by fickle-minder »

Amazing stuff, Lou!
Ruxs

Post by Ruxs »

Oh my, I can't believe that nobody pointed out that the 'ant-eater/armadillo' in the first movie is probably a Pangolin. They are listed as Critically Endangered and are always a rare treat to encounter in the forest, especially as they let you get so close - you should have filmed more!

Here's a pic of one I found last year in Malaysia, this is what it looked like right? Image
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Sorry, I lost track of this thread. I'm using Power Director for editing. It's powerful enough for what I do, and simple to use.

Yeah, about the Pangolin. I had just gotten into Singapore. A quick taxi ride to get to the jungle before sunrise. I saw it after only 5 mins of walking. Wasn't really sure what it was and how rare they are. I really wish I would have spent some time with it. Yeah, that's what it looked like. I wasn't all that far away from it, but the GoPro's wide angle makes it look like its a mile away. I really regret not getting better footage, really regret it. Haven't seen one since.

You got a great pic. What a cool looking animal.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Hi Guys, Happy Easter. Added another movie (Singapore Snakes 2). OK, maybe not a movie, but 22 mins of herping action. Hope you enjoy.