Softshell Turtles in Las Vegas

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach Cava

Softshell Turtles in Las Vegas

Post by Zach Cava »

Yesterday I went to Clark County Wetlands Park, which I heard was a good place to find softshell turtles. I brought my new telephoto lens along for practice.

Softshell turtles are not indigenous to the Las Vegas area, but I still have a soft spot for them (haha). The Texas Spiny Softshell (Apalone spinifera emoryi) is believed to have been introduced into the Gila River in AZ around 1900, and has since expanded its range.

These are strange looking creatures. They have long necks and long, pig-like snouts. They often stick the tip of their nose out of the water to breath, while the rest of their body remains mostly obscured below water.

Imageby Zachary Cava, on Flickr

Softshell pretending to be a crocodile

There’s that pig nose

Beautiful eyes—check out the little snail catching a ride

Basking

The Las Vegas Wash seems to have attracted a peculiar diversity of alien species. According to the Las Vegas Wash Coordination Committee, results of 2002-2003 fish surveys are as follows:

“A total of 7 species were observed in the Wash, none of which are native to Nevada; they are the green sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus), mosquitofish (Gambusia afinnis), common carp (Cyprinus carpio), black bullhead (Ameiurus melas), red shiner (Cyprinella lutrensis), fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas) and the aquarium fish, suckermouth catfish (Family Laricariidae: Hypostomus plecostomus). Non-fish species were also found during survey efforts; they include the red swamp crayfish (Procambarus clarkii), spiny softshell turtle (Trionyx spiniferus), bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana), red eared slider (Trachemys scripta)."

There’s a strange new nature brewing in Las Vegas… would be interesting to learn how all of these introduced species interact with one another, and the environment.

-Zach
simpleyork

Re: Softshell Turtles in Las Vegas

Post by simpleyork »

great photos, thanks for posting!
Bob McKeever

Post by Bob McKeever »

Nice post Zach, looks like you've got your new lens well in hand. The "pig nose" & "beautiful eyes" shots are top-shelf.
Bob
Zach Cava

Post by Zach Cava »

Thanks Bob and simpleyork!
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

Great shots of a bizarre animal. love these weird looking dudes
Herpetologist115

Post by Herpetologist115 »

Are there other herps in in those wetlands? Natives?