Mike's Advice

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jonathan

Mike's Advice

Post by jonathan »

Mike Wolverton made a great pitch for the Herp Mobile app on the Northwest Forum:
M Wolverton wrote:As far as entering data, it's a snap with the smart phone app. No spending forever on the computer after herping, they are ready to sync to the database about 45 seconds after you find the herp and take the photo.
M Wolverton wrote:I find a critter, get out of the car and take a photo with the phone. Less than a minute later I have the vouchered record saved on the phone complete with GPS data. I can find quite a few of them in a night and store them on the phone. When I get to somewhere that has good cell phone reception, I just hit the synch button. Blamo, all those records are in the database.
M Wolverton wrote:Don made them for iphones and androids. IIRC the app is free, you just search for naherp in the app store and download it.

Basically you are creating the records on your phone as you herp. It doesn't have all the same fields, but anyone who wants to can go back and add more info later. GPS, date, and time are automatic. You can also set it for a particular state, and that will be automatic. It's very quick.

People that like to take great photos could do the smart phone record in less than a minute and then break out the real camera and go to work. For those that don't care about good photos, like me, the smart phone cameras are about on par with most point and shoot cameras.
For people who have Android or iPhones, using the app seems like a really simple way to increase data entry. Once they see how easy it is, I think that a lot of people who don't enter data, or have stopped entering due to boredom/time issues, would have fun beginning to enter quite a lot. It could be a chapter goal to try to find 20 new-or-old members to download the app this year.

Don's instructions for how to download and use the app with NAHERP are here: http://www.naherp.com/app.php
ratsnakehaven

Re: Mike's Advice

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Wow, I take almost all my voucher photos with a point and shoot camera. I'm also getting a new iPhone this next week. This will relieve the stress of having to find time for all my entries. Thanks a ton, Jonathan and Mike, for bringing this great idea to us. I'll get the ap as soon as I can.

Terry :beer: