Red Sky at night, herpers delight

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Brad Alexander

Red Sky at night, herpers delight

Post by Brad Alexander »

Got a wild hair and called Mike Waters last minute for some wild goose chasing last night. My intentions were to hunt a section of road where I had once seen an interesting zonata DOR. Mike was at least an hour away, but within minutes of the call, he made the necessary arrangements and was out the door. While sitting at our designated meeting point the setting sun was kind enough to give me (yes, it was personally just for ME) a beautiful light show. I wish I could have done the scene some justice, but I couldn't do much from my vantage point.

The first 20 or 30 miles of back woods, dirt roads gave us absolutely nothing, not even a little Pituophis for our efforts. Not far from the Mojave Desert, we decided to go where we could find some snakes. We enjoyed a nice variety of finds throughout the night from a single cal king to a few Rosy Boas and pretty much everything in between. We were even lucky enough to see a Trimorphodon in an area where very few had been seen before. I didn't make it back home until 5am, Mike probably 6am, but we had a blast chasing snakes and BS'ing the night away.

monklet

Re: Red Sky at night, herpers delight

Post by monklet »

I'm not all that high on scorpions but that is one gorgeous image!!! Nice job!

edit: wanted to add, spectacular sunset image regardless of what you think ;-)
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

Nice work. Sounds like a great night in the desert.
Brad Alexander

Post by Brad Alexander »

Thanks guys! Yeah, the scorpion is obviously lit up with a black light. As I lit it up, Mike reached for his camera and I followed suit. It's amazing how those things light up when hit with that black light.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Congrats Brad and Mike... :D

Good to see the two of hunt together... :mrgreen:

Fundad
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Awesome shots! The sunset is top-notch. . . I always think to myself "Don't take a picture of the sunset, it's soo cliche..." but they're so dang beautiful, I can never resist!
Ryan Thies

Post by Ryan Thies »

Absolutely amazing pictures again! You certainly have a way with your camera. I can't wait to see more!

Ryan