Cat Gecko and snake

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

orionmystery

Cat Gecko and snake

Post by orionmystery »

Defensive gaping. Hypnotizing eyes of a gorgeous Cat Gecko (Aeluroscalabotes felinus). I think it's one of the most beautiful geckos in Malaysia.
ImageAeluroscalabotes felinus IMG_0286 copy by Kurt (Hock Ping GUEK) orionmystery.blogspot.com, on Flickr

So adorable :)
ImageAeluroscalabotes felinus IMG_0295 copy by Kurt (Hock Ping GUEK) orionmystery.blogspot.com, on Flickr

Those eyes...
ImageAeluroscalabotes felinus IMG_0302 copy by Kurt (Hock Ping GUEK) orionmystery.blogspot.com, on Flickr

Up close with a Malayan Bridle Snake (Dryocalamus subannulatus). Non venomous. Selangor, Malaysia.
ImageDryocalamus subannulatus IMG_0391 copy by Kurt (Hock Ping GUEK) orionmystery.blogspot.com, on Flickr

ImageDryocalamus subannulatus IMG_0403 copy by Kurt (Hock Ping GUEK) orionmystery.blogspot.com, on Flickr

ImageDryocalamus subannulatus IMG_0415 copy by Kurt (Hock Ping GUEK) orionmystery.blogspot.com, on Flickr

Up close with a miniature crocodile - Spotted House Gecko (Gekko monarchus). Selangor, Malaysia.
ImageGekko monarchus IMG_0320 copy by Kurt (Hock Ping GUEK) orionmystery.blogspot.com, on Flickr

More herps: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... bians.html
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Re: Cat Gecko and snake

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

That first gecko's eye is a window into the galaxy ....
orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:That first gecko's eye is a window into the galaxy ....
Yep, love his/her eyes :)
dendrelaphis

Post by dendrelaphis »

that certainly is an amazing gecko and they are hard to find! Love that Dryocalamus as well.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Beautiful work! Both of the geckos have amazing eyes, but yeah that first one is especially spectacular!
Ruxs

Post by Ruxs »

dendrelaphis wrote:that certainly is an amazing gecko and they are hard to find! Love that Dryocalamus as well.
I've found Cat Geckos to be numerous and very easy to find if you're looking in the right place - as is the case with so many other herp species we consider uncommon. So it goes...
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

I've found Cat Geckos to be numerous and very easy to find if you're looking in the right place
What kind of microhabitat did you normally see them in?
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Antonsrkn wrote:
I've found Cat Geckos to be numerous and very easy to find if you're looking in the right place
What kind of microhabitat did you normally see them in?
And please define "numerous"!
Ruxs

Post by Ruxs »

Antonsrkn wrote:What kind of microhabitat did you normally see them in?
Clinging, usually upside down, to the lower stems of saplings on the edge of forest trails.
Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote: And please define "numerous"!
Like 2-3 per night.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Thanks!
dendrelaphis

Post by dendrelaphis »

Well, species may be common in some places and rare in others, that's for sure. I found ONE cat gecko in roughly 400 search hours (!) on the Santubong Peninsula, Sarawak. And I did a lot of nicht searches there.
Ruxs

Post by Ruxs »

dendrelaphis wrote:Well, species may be common in some places and rare in others, that's for sure. I found ONE cat gecko in roughly 400 search hours (!) on the Santubong Peninsula, Sarawak. And I did a lot of nicht searches there.
Maybe, but mine weren't far. I got 1 during 2 nights at Kubah and about 6 over 3 nights at Gunung Gading, didn't see any during 2 nights at Bako though, which is just across the bay from Santubong so maybe they're less frequent in that area.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Well, species may be common in some places and rare in others, that's for sure. I found ONE cat gecko in roughly 400 search hours (!) on the Santubong Peninsula, Sarawak. And I did a lot of nicht searches there.
Yeah I got zero in a few months in the Bornean jungle (Sabah), not sure the exact hour breakdown but I went out for an hour or two almost every night and there were many nights that I was out until the wee hours of the morning, sometimes returning as the sun came up. Easily possible I walked past a couple but I was certainly looking at stems of saplings and such as I walked, saw a number of different species but not cat geckos.

Pretty sure Gunung Gading and Kubah are both at higher elevation than the lowland forest I was searching, perhaps thats a factor.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

G. Gading and Kubah are considered lowland, so I don't think that's a factor. I've caught them at 1100 meters asl, and crossing the road at five meters asl. It all comes down to luck and eyepower, I think. I've seen four so far, others much more in the same places.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

G. Gading and Kubah are considered lowland, so I don't think that's a factor.
Nevermind then, well I'll be out in Sabah once again in just a few weeks and for even longer this time so its almost time to hit the nighttime forest (armed with a better headlamp this time) and give it another go! Cat geckos or bust!
dendrelaphis

Post by dendrelaphis »

good luck over there, looking forward to seeing what you found!
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

dendrelaphis wrote:good luck over there, looking forward to seeing what you found!
Thank you! My write up about my trip is going to be in this next issue of Herpnation if you're interested. I learned alot from my last trip and now armed with that knowledge I'm ready to get out there again and see what I can find!