the drought is over!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

hellihooks

the drought is over!

Post by hellihooks »

Well... my rosy drought, at least...lol Granted...I didn't herp as much last year as typical...but every time I did go out it was in the best conditions to be had (for either flipping or cruisen) but... didn't manage one rosy all year. 8/012 was the last rosy I'd seen (21 months) so... the other night I said 'enough is enough!' and decided I was gonna nightwalk a rosy, no matter how far or long it took. 18 miles later...

Might as well throw in a few other notable finds from last month that were either lifers or herps I ALSO hadn't seen in a year or so...

My 1st flipped Lyre... usually seen out cruisen or in cracks...2+ years since I seen one...

Red Spotted Toad seen at the RM speck survey in Vegas... only 2nd time I've seen them... with my lifer several years ago...

Lifer Nev. Side Blotch, at same survey...Wooo Hoooo... :lol:

Me n Josh did our annual Berdo Boys birthday bash, starting out with some Arroyos where I live...
Rescued a baby Killdeer from the stream and reunited him with his frantic parents... :)
Next morning (our birthdays) it was down to Sad Diego to meet up with Jeff, for some lifers...most notably...SD Mt Kings This (I think :roll: ) is the one I flipped, but we saw 5 total, with Josh actually flipping a dlb, for his lifer(s)... :shock: IT WAS AWESOME!!! Josh was LITERALLY trembling with shock, excitement and disbelief. i was pretty blown away, too... :lol: :lol:

I didn't flip my lifer LB Ensatina... but Josh(lifer) and Jeff flipped a few... so I got to see one ;)

Back in my home turf... went to a Tejon Survey but (personally) had a lackluster outing, finding only one snake, a Nor Pac Gopher...
Been a few years since I saw one of these though...
Finally... lizard-wise...it had been 2 years since I'd seen one of these, then saw 2 in 2 days (go figure :crazyeyes: )
Didn't bring a noose that day...so made sure I did the next day...
actually have seen plenty of other herps this spring (gophers, king, coaches, HL's and LOTS of helleri) but due to my limited online time, don't have time to post them all. Now...to find a speck...which I also failed to find last year, AND this spring (even at a dang speck survey :roll: ) which frankly just floors me... I'm used to seeing like 25 a year... :shock: Have a good, safe May everyone... :thumb: jim
Brian Hubbs

Re: the drought is over!

Post by Brian Hubbs »

What kind of Leopard Liz. is that?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote:What kind of Leopard Liz. is that?
Both long noses... you know... like me... :lol: :lol: :lol: Just noticed I said 'Sad Diego' instead of San Diego... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I just wondered because you put it in with the Tejon stuff and I was gonna rail on ya for handling an endangered species... :lol: I'm not as dumb or benign as I look, but I've never seen a blunt nosed-leopard, so I wasn't sure what that was. :crazyeyes:
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Nice rosy Jim!

Glad you've been finding a few more herps than last year. I especially like the second leopard lizard - that guy looks terrific!

I had a great time on your birthday and look forward to herping with ya again sometime soon...

Jeff
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Wasn't the survey in Clark/Lincoln counties? That's a bit far south/east for a Nevada side-blotch isn't it? :? :?:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Yeah...what about that Jim? Hmmm... :lol: :crazyeyes:
mwentz

Post by mwentz »

Congrats on breaking the drought! :thumb:
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Nice post, Kimo! Glad to that you're finding some really cool stuff. That second Leopard Lizard is a beauty. Still waiting to see a Pronghorn. I'm always hoping that I come across some, as they've been re-established in my county.

Great job on the boa! :thumb:

Derek
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Yeah...what about that Jim? Hmmm... :lol: :crazyeyes:
I was going by what guys like Mckeever, Jason Jones, et al told me...and I see a slight difference in pattern... I'll dlb check before entering it.
thx for all the other nice ( :crazyeyes: ) replies... :lol: :lol: :lol: Hubbs... go find some more privately owned property to vandalize (fence posts) and rail away in your rearview... :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Hi Jim, nice going on the Lyre and the Boa. :thumb: I know you worked hard for those two.

Seems like your next goal, a speck, is the same as ours. In fact, we (Nicholas, Greg and I) are tentatively planning an outing on on May 17 to a spot in your area that I found on GE. You'd be welcome to join us. PM me if you are interested and have time (i.e., you don't have to plant birds for billionaire hunters that day :crazyeyes: )

Robert
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Awesome finds, Jim!

Gorgeous zonata!

Awesome rosy!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

RobertH wrote:Hi Jim, nice going on the Lyre and the Boa. :thumb: I know you worked hard for those two.

Seems like your next goal, a speck, is the same as ours. In fact, we (Nicholas, Greg and I) are tentatively planning an outing on on May 17 to a spot in your area that I found on GE. You'd be welcome to join us. PM me if you are interested and have time (i.e., you don't have to plant birds for billionaire hunters that day :crazyeyes: )

Robert
that would be a fri? the day before the live herp presentation? Be out of birds tomorrow morning... so I'm game (something I've learned NEVER to say at the ckub... :crazyeyes: )
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Yes, the 17th is the day before the herp event in the SM, but it's a Saturday, not a Friday. Does that still work for you?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

RobertH wrote:Yes, the 17th is the day before the herp event in the SM, but it's a Saturday, not a Friday. Does that still work for you?
sounds good... :thumb:
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

OK, great, I'll be in touch with details by pm. :thumb:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

What do you call it when two people are arguing on our private message system...PMS'ing... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
reako45

Post by reako45 »

18 mad miles!?! Dang, Jim, now that is some serious dedicated night walking. Love the boas and the Lyre.

reako45
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Thx Darren... you know how it goes... hike/herp for hrs...then find your target right by where you started... :roll: Had 2 more miles to go after finding the rosy, to get home... so yeah...20 mi walk... ;) jim