Advice on First Tongs?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

SlitheringHuman

Advice on First Tongs?

Post by SlitheringHuman »

Hello everyone!
I am fairly new to the official (I have caught snakes for fun for quite a while now) herping world.
I built myself a snake hook, which is quite sturdy, and I used it to pick up a Northern Pacific rattler. He wasn't active at all because of the cold weather - no rattling, just slithered away...
Anyway, I decided that it's better if I get myself a pair of tongs in addition to the hook, for when it gets hotter in the summer and the rattlesnakes become more active. I had a few questions.

1. What size tongs are recommended? I've been looking at Midwest's 40" and 52", but I don't know which one is better...
2. Collapsible or non-collapsible? The only collapsible ones I've seen are 40". Anyone know if they're any good?
3. Is there a place to get them for a bit cheaper? They're quite expensive, but again, I've seem some big rattlesnakes here. I'm also planing to do a trip down south at the beginning of June.

Thank you for all your help,
Mariya
Zach_Lim

Re: Advice on First Tongs?

Post by Zach_Lim »

Is there a reason you need to pick up a rattlesnake? Are you moving it off the road or wanting to position it for photographs?

Generally speaking, it is much safer to let Crotes do their own thing and be left alone, but if you indeed need to handle one, I would go with a hook.

Tongs, if used incorrectly, can hurt a snake (clamping too hard, etc). A sturdy, compact (collaspable) hook can easily lift a hefy NorPac- I see that you are in the Bay Area- we get some fat ones here!

Hooks tend to be less invasive, as well- you kind of just let the snake climb over the hook and lift. I have used tongs once and although the snake remained calm during the ordeal, I felt that I gave up control for the wellbeing of the snake (which should always be top priority).

If you end up getting tongs, make sure you aren't clamping a snake too hard! :thumb:

Always good to see another herper from the Bay. As you probably know, habitat here is far and few between, so make sure you herp ethically- put back any rocks or logs you flip exactly as you found it.

Good luck out there!
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

I recommend the Midwest Gentle Giant tongs.

They've got a very large surface area which spreads out the pressure when you grab a snake with them. I've put my finger in them and squeezed as hard as I could and it really didn't feel like a lot of pressure, and didn't hurt. The main thing is they can help you move an animal while applying little pressure to it. The biggest issue you'll have with hurting an animal is if it starts thrashing around. As soon as it does that, release your grip and take a different approach. Always use as little pressure as necessary.

I find hooks good for flipping cover, that's about it. Never had a snake stay on one without grabbing the tail, and I'm not much interested in putting my hands on a hot.
SlitheringHuman

Post by SlitheringHuman »

Thank you for the fast replies!

I'm going to be using the tongs to position the snakes for pictures.
As for the flipping rocks part, of course I put everything back to how it was. :)

I guess I'll order the 40"s, probably the Gentle Giant.
I'll give it a little more thought though.

-Mariya
Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate »

I've owned my collapsible Gentle Giant tongs for over a decade and they have served me well, that is, when I actually use them. I haven't had a need to use them for about two years as I prefer a non-intrusive approach to crotes and when I do need to move one I usually only have my home-made hook with me. If you get the big ones make sure you realize that you are forfeiting mobility for safety. The shorter ones, when used properly, are just as safe and much easier to hike with. Even though I have the collapsible version I still almost never take them with me simply due to the size and my herping methods.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Another vote for the Midwest Gentle Giant collapsible tongs.

And another vote for "unless you're involved in activities where you MUST handle the snake (e.g. moving it off someone's porch), you're not going to use them much."

I don't really use them for positioning snakes for photos; usually I prefer to take photos "as found." Lately, I've only used them to scoot snakes off the roads. Also, my wife once used them to fish a dead squirrel out of our rain barrels, so I guess they're multi-purpose.