Panama Frogs - looking for ID help.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rags

Panama Frogs - looking for ID help.

Post by Rags »

Hello,

After sifting through my photos following a trip to Panama I have been left with a few amphibians with no positive ID's.

Anybody able to help... Many thanks in advance.

The first three photos are of the same small toad found in a water filled roadside ditch at Coronado on the Pacific coast.

It has been suggested this may be a 'Blue-spotted Tree Frog'. I can't find this species anywhere in field guides. I'm sure it must be a locally used name? Photographed at El Valle de Anton.

This small frog was also found at El Valle de Anton. After taking this photo I realised something sinister was closing in along the plant stem...

The frog jumped to safety shortly afterwards.

The final few photos are all night time finds at El valle.

Possibly Centrolenella prosoblepon?

Thanks for looking and any help is appreciated.

Rags
mitchyboy

Re: Panama Frogs - looking for ID help.

Post by mitchyboy »

Bottom one looks like a Centrolenella prosoblepon, one above that looks like a Teratohyla Pulveratum, one above that I'm not too sure (maybe something of the scinax family?), the one above that not sure (maybe another scinax?), the blue spotted tree frog could be referring to Rhacophorus cyanopunctatus, which has the same body shape but colors are wrong. That toad almost looks like a Bufo houstonensis, but this isn't Texas hahaha.
gretzkyrh4

Re: Panama Frogs - looking for ID help.

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

I think the first toad may be Rhinella (bufo) granulosa.