Alaskan Emergence

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jamezevanz

Alaskan Emergence

Post by jamezevanz »

Slogged out to some land my wife and I are buying near Glennallen, AK to take some measurements of an old shack we're fixing up. Still plenty of snow on the ground but its melting fast and the ATV trails were basically ice-choked creeks. Swimming around in one of them was the earliest wood frog I've yet found in Alaska. I haven't heard any calling and I don't usually see them till around the 2nd week of May. Good to know my property has herps on it!

sjfriend

Re: Alaskan Emergence

Post by sjfriend »

Well, there went the rest of your herping year, all possible local herp species found already :thumb:

When I get back we'll have to go out and stack the database this year.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

^^^ Oh man, that was "cold".... :lol:
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Nice frog Jamezzz

Seems like your new place will be rather rustic. I'm looking forward to some of your photos of the larger wildlife you encounter there. I'm guessing moose, wolves, foxes, and eagles. Hope there aren't too many bears around.

Jeff
jamezevanz

Post by jamezevanz »

sjfriend-- just let me know when. Maybe double up a frogging/fishing trip somewhere.

Surfinherp-- we saw moose, caribou, a coyote, and a northern hawk owl (among other raptors) on the way out there today. I haven't really shot much wildlife up here because I just don't have the lenses for it-- most critters here need a bit more space than even an angry rattlesnake. Not to mention all the amazing wildlife photographers that reside up here and make me feel totally insecure about both my equipment and my abilities. Amazing moose and bear photos for me are just an $8,000 lens away...

But I did just shoot a story on folks that share our love of watching wildlife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpEfavhU ... e=youtu.be
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Jamez,
Maybe I'll run into you up there someday. My dad has a cabin just north of Glenallen on the Gulkana that I try to hit up every year or two. Just south of Sourdough Campground on the river. Epic place up there. He also has these frogs on his property...
ClosetHerper

Post by ClosetHerper »

Cool some frogs are out already! You might have to check out Cordova some time... we have twice the herps you do up river: 2! Wood frog and boreal toad, although the toads have all but disappeared in recent years.

I liked your video and know Pat Pourchot, Small world.
jamezevanz

Post by jamezevanz »

Sad to hear that about the toads, I didn't even know they made it that far North. One of these days I'll make it down to Cordova to fish for Steelhead and I'll be sure to look for toads while I'm at it.
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

I want to do a trip to Hyder (as far south as you can go and remain in state) to try for toads n garters. Great time would be in late July when the bears are also in town at the viewing platform. Not McNeil falls but good, and herps.

I will be passing thru Glennallen the end of May.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Very Nice!