Headless, Tailless Snake ID

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Andy Wolf

Headless, Tailless Snake ID

Post by Andy Wolf »

This was found in southeast PA. There are old records of Virginia valeriae from this location. I'm not sure how useful coloration is on a dead specimen such as this one though, and there's not much else to go on besides smooth scales. I didn't count scale rows. It was pretty gross. I can't eliminate Worm. I'm not even sure I can eliminate Ringneck. If you'd like to nominate one of these for picture of the week, just click at the bottom.

spinifer

Re: Headless, Tailless Snake ID

Post by spinifer »

Sure looks like an earth to me. How was it found? Why was it dead?

They have been found in DE less than a mile from the PA border in recent years, so I had no doubt they still occurred in PA. Kyle is going to be mad you beat him to it. ;)
Andy Wolf

Post by Andy Wolf »

It was found in the middle of a trail, cause of death unknown. Earth snakes are abundant in Baltimore County in the exact same habitat, so I figured there's a good chance. Thanks for your help. I'll submit it to the database.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Should also submit to PAherpsurvey.org. They will want to scrutinize it too, and hopefully they agree and can change the PA status from extirpated to endangered. That level of protection might help protect nearby properties from development.
Andy Wolf

Post by Andy Wolf »

Will do.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

save it?
Andy Wolf

Post by Andy Wolf »

No, unfortunately I didn't, and it's over an hour away so going back isn't really an option.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

spinifer wrote:Should also submit to PAherpsurvey.org. They will want to scrutinize it too, and hopefully they agree and can change the PA status from extirpated to endangered. That level of protection might help protect nearby properties from development.
I thought they were a Species of Special Concern in PA? (link)

PM sent, Andy.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Matt J wrote:
spinifer wrote:Should also submit to PAherpsurvey.org. They will want to scrutinize it too, and hopefully they agree and can change the PA status from extirpated to endangered. That level of protection might help protect nearby properties from development.
I thought they were a Species of Special Concern in PA? (link)

PM sent, Andy.
I was going by the status in PA Herps. The status (endangered, threatened, special concern) is different from the state ranks (S1, S2, S3, etc, including extirpated, historic, incidental, and other designations)