Prairie Adventure

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Soopaman

Prairie Adventure

Post by Soopaman »

Since we've been getting little snippets of people's spring herping on here, I figured I'd share one day I've had this spring instead of hoarding it all until my EOY post.

I've been targeting prairie kingsnakes west of Houston for the past couple of years. For those that know me, you're aware how much I like these snakes and how highly I think of them. If I only found calligaster every single outing for the rest of my life, I'd pretty damn happy. Anyhow, I've been very unsuccessful in finding them out there. I've found them in Hardin, Tyler, Harris, Waller, and Chambers counties, but a live one from a couple counties over has eluded me, despite their apparent abundance.

So, for the past couple of years I've road cruised various parts of both Austin and Colorado counties. I've flipped boards, tin, trash, carpet, and all in between. I've set up sites in fields, at the edge of forests and fields. I've hiked for a couple of miles to set up spots in high quality prairie on private property. Despite all that work, it wasn't until one day this spring that I managed to find one. And when I did, they were all over! Of course, none were at any spot I set up.

The first one I found was in Austin county in some trash:

ImageLampropeltis calligaster calligaster (Prairie Kingsnake) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr

ImageLampropeltis calligaster calligaster (Prairie Kingsnake) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr

So, that pretty much made my day. No reason to quit early though, might as well stay out and see what else I find!

I flipped my usual stuff and piddled around and hiked a bit. Saw a few snakes I'd seen before. We said "hello and see you next week" and parted ways.

A new fellow I hadn't seen before was changing his clothes under this rotting beam:

ImageColuber flagellum testaceus (Western Coachwhip) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr

Shortly thereafter I took up some roadcruising. It wasn't long before my second prairie king came out onto the road. He was booking it, so I didn't get to take an in situ photo.

Minutes later, I was greeted with this yearling callie crossing the road:

And then, much to my surprise, just as the sun dipped below the horizon I found a rather uncommon snake (you might even say rare) for Colorado County.

ImageArizona elegans (Texas Glossy Snake) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr

Twenty minutes and a bit of darkness later, I was greeted with another!

Finally, the last snake of the day was an attractive, lighter colored, and fairly pugnacious calligaster. I was very excited I got to have such a great day seeing so many of my favorite snake in one day!

Just before a small nip:

Hope you enjoyed!
brennan

Re: Prairie Adventure

Post by brennan »

Nice Kyle, I lost count of how many calligaster you found halfway through the thread. This year is really starting out with a bang! Be safe out there buddy.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Cool finds. I think the trick to calligaster is to find them early in the year. They seem to be common in that area in February and March and start to disappear when the weather warms up.

Finding an Arizona in that area is a great find. I used to herp in Colorado county a lot and I found a total of one in many, many nights of cruising. I can't imagine finding multiple individuals.

Have you find any Diadophis out that way? I've only ever seen one. I know they are there,...but....

I always hoped for a Heterodon nasicus out there. Never found one in Colorado Co.,, but I have found one east of there.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

If there's nasicus still out there, I've got a spot that will produce it, provided they'll get under carpet/tarps/elevated boards.

Diadophis are around, but I haven't seen one yet.

And regarding February and March for calligaster, were you flipping them or finding them on roads/basking? I went out and flipped my stuff once a week through March, and at least once in February.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

And I don't think I've spent as much time cruising out there as you, but it's a lot! I spent a good bit of July-Oct 2012 cruising out there hoping for a damn callie.

After seeing both the calligaster and the Arizona in the area, I do believe I actually found a DOR Arizona out there in July 2012. It looked exactly like those but larger, and at the time I thought it was a prairie king.

And yeah, I never expected to find one, much less two out there. Last snake on my mind!
dery

Post by dery »

That's a nice amount of prairie kings Kyle. Congrats.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Beautiful snakes!
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

dery wrote:That's a nice amount of prairie kings Kyle. Congrats.
Not nearly enough!
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Beautiful snakes!
I agree. See you in a couple weeks dude! It's gonna be an epic time!
Rman

Post by Rman »

I could use a few Calligaster days like that one. Jeez!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Soopaman wrote:If there's nasicus still out there, I've got a spot that will produce it, provided they'll get under carpet/tarps/elevated boards.

And regarding February and March for calligaster, were you flipping them or finding them on roads/basking? I went out and flipped my stuff once a week through March, and at least once in February.
I doubt you are going to flip a nasicus. I think the best bet for them is cruising in the morning or at dusk. Find a sandy road and cruise/walk it in the morning a few times. They are tough to see, as well as being uncommon (at best) in that area.

I generally find calligaster out cruising, either by walking or finding them on roads. They seem to be active at dusk early in the year because I saw a lot of fresh roadkills during Feb/Mar west of Houston.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

chrish wrote:
Soopaman wrote:If there's nasicus still out there, I've got a spot that will produce it, provided they'll get under carpet/tarps/elevated boards.

I doubt you are going to flip a nasicus. I think the best bet for them is cruising in the morning or at dusk. Find a sandy road and cruise/walk it in the morning a few times. They are tough to see, as well as being uncommon (at best) in that area.

I generally find calligaster out cruising, either by walking or finding them on roads. They seem to be active at dusk early in the year because I saw a lot of fresh roadkills during Feb/Mar west of Houston.
I wouldn't expect to flip a nasicus, but you never know. I've flipped platirhinos just as many times as I've cruised/walked them.

Good to know about the callies, definitely keeping it in mind for next year. More this week...
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

The best!! :thumb:

Tim
chrish

Post by chrish »

Soopaman wrote:I wouldn't expect to flip a nasicus, but you never know. I've flipped platirhinos just as many times as I've cruised/walked them.
I have flipped quite a few platirhinos, but never a nasicus. I don't know if it would be worth trying, but I found in houston in the 80s that I could flip platirhinos at night more easily than in the day. Might work for nasicus as well?
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Tim Borski wrote:The best!! :thumb:

Tim
:beer:
chrish wrote:
Soopaman wrote:I wouldn't expect to flip a nasicus, but you never know. I've flipped platirhinos just as many times as I've cruised/walked them.
I have flipped quite a few platirhinos, but never a nasicus. I don't know if it would be worth trying, but I found in houston in the 80s that I could flip platirhinos at night more easily than in the day. Might work for nasicus as well?
Worth a shot. Good to know about platirhinos. I'm totally cool flipping stuff at night. Usually has about as much as during the day in the middle of spring.
reako45

Post by reako45 »

WOW! Prairie Kings are awesome. Just like with those amazing pics of the specks you sent, your pics of those calligaster really pop. Looks like nice habitat as well. Really well maintained dirt roads. I fell in love with road cruising nice dirt roads like that in AZ. I think Chris's advice on cruising nasicus in the am or at dusk is spot on. Had success in AZ finding kennerlyi that way last Sept. He's right also on them being hard to see. Great post. I look forward to more.

reako45