Epic Road Trip/Herping Trip; Introduction!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

zeevng

Epic Road Trip/Herping Trip; Introduction!

Post by zeevng »

Hi all!

Some of you may remember the Anza Borrego trip I posted about last June; (http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=16668
Although I wish I could have been out herping much more often than I have been since, I have been swamped with school and work. But, I have finally taken time off of both, and this Wednesday morning, I am off!
Me and my little brother shall be leaving LA in the morning, and heading due north east to the Mojave National Preserve, more specifically, Nipton. We shall base ourselves there for a few days while exploring the preserve, before heading off elsewhere, as yet un-planned.

This introductory post shall be rather short, and it's purpose is to ask some important questions, gather vital information, and sell you on coming back and checking out the post-trip-post! ;)

A) Does anyone have experience herping the Mojave Preserve, and is willing to impart any advice, tips, etc? Obviously, I'm not asking for location specifics, (Although if anyone feels like sharing them through PM, I will be most grateful too, several members can vouch for me), just more general advice, like X hills have rattlers, or Y dunes might have long-nose snakes, etc etc etc.
B) After finalizing time off, booking rooms, and in short making the trip rather set in stone, I realized the week I will be out will be right around full moon. I've never really seen concrete evidence of moon phase affecting herping, but I know many who swear by it. How bad will this hurt chances of fruitful herping?
C) Will anyone be in the field between the 16th-22nd? Either in that area of the desert, or any others, and would like to meet? I'm always fairly flexible with my plans, and will happily meet other herpers in the field!
D) After a few days in the Preserve, I'm sure I will want to move on to new places. Any suggestions of cool places to go, be it for herping, or just a great drive, within a day's drive from the borders of the Preserve?

I have a few lifers I'd like to cross off this trip, including;
Long-nosed snakes,
Rosy Boas,
Patch Nosed snakes,
Mojave Greens,
Chuckwallas,
Horned Lizards,
and Desert Tortoises.

Apart from those, the usual suspect, ie, Kings, Rattlers, Pits, Shovel Noses, Glossys, etc, are always a much enjoyed and loved sighting.

Having set out to write a short post, I see I have succeeded in writing a short essay on the topic! Oh well. :D
Any and all advice, help, suggestions, choice swear words and anecdotes are much appreciated! :)
Happy Herping! :thumb:
MarcLinsalata

Re: Epic Road Trip/Herping Trip; Introduction!

Post by MarcLinsalata »

I'm sure you won't have any problems checking off Chuckwallas on your trip next week. And the area you are going to is where I found my lifer Scutulatus' last year just road cruising. I will be in Laughlin from tomorrow to about Tuesday DURING the full moon, so hopefully I absorb all of the bad luck to make your trip fruitful. I can't speak more intelligently than the other people on here, but you'll be in a super area and I think some of your lifers will be had during your trip (especially since you'll be out there for almost a week) like the chucks, horned lizards, mohave rattlesnakes. If you want a side trip during your stay up there, Laughlin is due East from Nipton and I think there is a main road that goes from there to the 95 in Nevada where you can go down to the Newberry Mountains (where I'll be the next few days). Anyway, you'll pass by a whole bunch of stuff and scenery and could probably day cruise a horned lizard or patchnose on the road while traveling. I'm the least experienced (California) herper on here but from my (little) experience I think you will do well (during the day for sure). I know more informed people will chime in shortly. Helllihooks, you're on deck in 3, 2, 1..........
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

Depending on the weather, you may be out there a little early for nightdriving. That may make it difficult to find long-noses. But then again, you may see dozens of them. The Cima Dome area will probably be your best bet for tortoise and scutes. Any rocky hillside or outcrop could/should have chucks, as long as you're not too high in elevation.

For a couple of really neat side trips, I'd try Afton Canyon(amphibs and Pond Turtles??) and Caruthers Canyon. Caruthers is a really interesting place because of the coastal plant species there. You could also find skinks, whipsnakes, ......? In good years, there is a running stream in part of it. And like Marc said, you're likely to cruise a horned lizard or patch-nose on any dirt road in the area.

Disclaimer: Being in the Preserve, your not allowed to touch or harass the herps :roll:

I've been herping out there for almost 40 years and never found a rosy :cry: They are there, people find them.

Keep your eyes open for a pair of Zone-tailed hawks that are hanging out around the Mid Hills area.

Good luck. Take pictures. Make us jealous.

-nightdriver
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I've had a bit of success cruising long-noses in the late afternoon on unpaved roads. Not in that preserve, but elsewhere in several deserts.

At this time of year, pavement may also work.

There's "general rules of thumb, developed over a LOT of outings" and then there's "what you actually get in any particular outing". One rule of thumb is, you can be pleasantly surprised, or even amazed now and then! Good luck, have fun, report back if so inclined.

Cheers,
Jimi
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Longnose during the day?!? Blasphemy!

LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Love that picture.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I know a little about it...and baby I can guess the rest... :crazyeyes: :lol: (Skynard fans?) Depending on where you live, I may be on your way home, if you want to herp my 1000+ acres of coastal/desert transition zone (deep creek)...While not yet out in numbers, Josh and I walked a couple of Arroyos last week, and Lawrence got a lifer or two a couple of days later. Take a shower, spend the night... no worries... :beer: (760) 792-3163.... all chapter members have a free one (or 2 :crazyeyes: ) night's stay, for herping at the Club, or nearby spots I can direct you to :D

As for MNP... do Pisgaw Crater if possible... most of the herps there exhibit varying degrees of melanisism... with examples like the nearly mythical pure black HL (friend of mine saw one, decades ago) and what Stebbin's described as his #1 favorite speck of all time.... the 'black speck'... :shock: Get up in the lava tubes, and it's like herping another planet... :shock:

as for Rosys... rd cruise rocky areas/hills (or better yet, walk the crops) from 5 to 8, and you could see one out on the crawl... :thumb: gotta go... jim
zeevng

Post by zeevng »

Thank you all for your kind words and helpful advice!
Having started with almost no idea of what I'll do, I now have received so many suggestions I'll have to plan a second trip! :D
I can always count on the forum! :)

Jim, thank you for your kind offer; I'm not entirely sure where you are located but if it is at all in my direction there or back, I will excitedly accept! :)

Kent; INCREDIBLE long nose picture! If only I can be that lucky this week! ;)

Everyone else, thank you so much, and if you ever want a herping companion in the LA area, let me know!

I'll be checking the forum regularly on my phone, so if anyone else wants to chime in in the next few days, YAY!

Peace, and Happy Herping! :thumb:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I'm right behind the west Rock Dam (loaded with Collies) where the 173 heads up the San Bernardino Mts, on the west fork of the Mojave River. Google map it... can't miss us...we're the ONLY buildings within miles. I'll be gone this weekend (19th) for the RM Panamint Survey, in Vegas... :thumb: jim
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

On Sunday AM while driving through the Mojave I saw 3 DOR patchnose snakes and many horned lizards (amongst other creepy crawlers) all within the span of about an hour so I'm quite positive you'll nail these lifers, if you get out t the right time, and before they become flattened.
hellihooks wrote:I'll be gone this weekend (19th) for the RM Panamint Survey, in Vegas... :thumb: jim
I wish I checked the other boards a little more often, I really wanted to attend this................. :x
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

What's the update on this trip? How did it go? :?:
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Get all your Mojave records in working on a request for them from the USGS.

Fundad
zeevng

Post by zeevng »

Hey all!

So, first off, thank you to everyone who gave me all the great advice I needed to make this trip into a huge success. Apart from Rosy's, I hit every single one of my goal species! Jim, wish I could have taken you up on the offer, and definitely planned to, but budgetary constraints, as well as stellar herping in the preserve, dictated I mostly stay in the same area. I will definitely come visit one day soon, though!

I'm in the process of sorting through the photo's, and writing the text right now. Unbeknownst to me, my camera decided to malfunction, and all my pictures came out either slightly washed out, or underexposed and highly contrasted. So sorting through and selecting decent ones is taking some time. I hope to have the post up by next week!

Until then,
Happy Herping! :thumb: