I'm looking for a new photo host

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Holbrook

I'm looking for a new photo host

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Well folks, the battle lines have been drawn: Looks like my favorite photo-sharing site (Flickr) has not only made it very difficult to post mass groups of pictures on the forum, but also made it so you have to have a Yahoo account to use it. Problem is; I don't really (at all) want to sign up for a yahoo account, so now I'm looking for some alternatives.

I'm looking for a photohosting site that:

1.) is inexpensive (or free is good)

2.) easy to right click/copy url's on photos for posting on the forum

3.) has relatively infrequent interface changes

4.) Will store full-sized pictures

and

5.) doesn't lose picture quality when posting pictures on the forum (Facebook causes problems with this)

Any suggestions?
cbernz

Re: I'm looking for a new photo host

Post by cbernz »

I loathe Flickr. The only good thing to be said about it is that it's free.

Here's my pbase page: http://www.pbase.com/cbernz. I've had it since 2005, and the only major changes they've made since then are increasing the storage and adding a drag-and-drop feature. I love the clean layout and the ability to logically sort my photos into galleries (none of this insane confusing "photostream" nonsense). I've never had any issues posting my photos here.

I haven't priced other hosting sites lately, so I don't have much to compare with value-wise. It costs $23 a year for 1Gb of space. I recently upgraded to 2Gb for $43, and I gladly pay it for my easy-to-use, ad-free, uncluttered, logically arranged website. If you want a place to display your better photos in good or high quality (depending on how much you want to economize on your storage space), Pbase is great.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Dropbox.com gives you 1GB for free, and has a Public folder you can put photos in to post on forums and such.
justinm

Post by justinm »

I don't like the new Flickr experience. For my family and personal photos I've been using Ipernity.com
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

I'm beginning to think I really am the only one who likes all the new Flickr changes.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Soopaman wrote:I'm beginning to think I really am the only one who likes all the new Flickr changes.
You'll like it until you have to post 100 photos on the form (it took me 2-3 minutes to post one!) :beer:

The straw that broke my back was the yahoo membership thing though.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Josh Holbrook wrote:
Soopaman wrote:I'm beginning to think I really am the only one who likes all the new Flickr changes.
You'll like it until you have to post 100 photos on the form (it took me 2-3 minutes to post one!) :beer:

Takes me less than 10 seconds.

And a yahoo e-mail account that I never check? I'm okay with that. Doesn't cost me anything, and I don't have to see any messages sent there. And, I no longer have to re-login from google every time I shutdown my browser.
chrish

Post by chrish »

I have only used pbase for years.

It isn't free, but you retain the copyright on all your photos (not true of many sites!) and the format has stayed consistent for years.

You get what you pay for with photo hosts.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Soopaman wrote:
Josh Holbrook wrote:

Takes me less than 10 seconds.

And a yahoo e-mail account that I never check? I'm okay with that. Doesn't cost me anything, and I don't have to see any messages sent there. And, I no longer have to re-login from google every time I shutdown my browser.
Please tell, because the "copy link location" trick isn't working for me yet.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Josh Holbrook wrote: Please tell, because the "copy link location" trick isn't working for me yet.

Click on number one, then number two.

After you click number two, select the size you want (1024 is usually good for the forum), Ctrl+C, then Ctrl+V to paste here.

Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Let's try this...

ImageOxyrhopus rhombifer by Joshua Holbrook, on Flickr

Huh...looks like it works. That makes it a little bit better, I suppose. Thanks.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Josh Holbrook wrote: Huh...looks like it works. That makes it a little bit better, I suppose. Thanks.
:thumb:
kaptainkory

Post by kaptainkory »

justinm wrote:I don't like the new Flickr experience.
I've pretty much griped my way through the "improvements". They keep tweaking things from the initial disaster and it's at least more tolerable than it was. But for reasons I won't get into, I feel kind of stuck with it for now.
justinm wrote:For my family and personal photos I've been using Ipernity.com
Hopefully, either Flickr will smooth out their experience or Ipernity will mature into a viable alternative. (I think Ipernity is probably good for basic photo hosting, but just doesn't yet have the community or developer tools.)
Josh Holbrook wrote:You'll like it until you have to post 100 photos on the form (it took me 2-3 minutes to post one!) :beer:
Have you tried quickr pickr?

http://quickrpickr.com/
ClosetHerper

Post by ClosetHerper »

I am currently disappointed with Photo Bucket. In my 3 part Australia series, the pictures no longer show because the 10GB bandwidth limit was exceeded for the month. Not sure when the month ends but the pictures will apprently reappear when the new month starts. Sorry for the hassle. Do other photo hosts have this bandwidth limit???
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

I am currently disappointed with Photo Bucket. In my 3 part Australia series, the pictures no longer show because the 10GB bandwidth limit was exceeded for the month. Not sure when the month ends but the pictures will apprently reappear when the new month starts. Sorry for the hassle. Do other photo hosts have this bandwidth limit???
I can't speak for other photohosts but Flickr doesn't have any restrictions like that. I'd recommend checking it out. Alot of changes recently but its still a pretty good site.
Chaitanya

Post by Chaitanya »

If anyone is interested in premium service then 500px is also decent services to share photos online. Yahoo has managed to whruin the only decent service they offered- Flickr.
ClosetHerper

Post by ClosetHerper »

This will not be a solution for everyone but after my images disappeared from me Australia threads (Part 1:http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=19112) because Photobucket's 10GB/month bandwidth was exceeded, I started looking for another host. Although it did not occur to me immediately, I decided to use the host that I am already using for my web site. It is not free but I have been paying Hypermart to host my web site for many years. It was easier than I thought. All I needed was the simple html symbols and a path to my images through my domain name:
I do not know how extraordinary the views to my threads were but it was disappointing to see the images blocked from this site by Photobucket. Anyway, the images are back!