Spring Snake Road trip

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

NickAsher

Spring Snake Road trip

Post by NickAsher »

Im hitting snake round on April 17-20. I will be camping. If anyone wants to join your more then welcome.
We will probably herp some other area besides the road maybe heron pond?
JoeDANG

Re: Spring Snake Road trip

Post by JoeDANG »

Hey Nick i'm still planning to go in April but i'm not sure about the dates yet. it's my first trip so i'd like to meet up with some other herpers while i'm there.
T radix

Post by T radix »

I'm going too but I'll be there the 24th-27th. You'll have to post your report so that I have something extra to be pumped up about.

Joe
NickAsher

Post by NickAsher »

Its snake road thats all you need to say to be really PUMPED.
NickAsher

Post by NickAsher »

Joe I just noticed you was from Indy. Im only 20 miles south of indy if you ever want to get out in the field. Ive got some pretty good spots.
JoeDANG

Post by JoeDANG »

NickAsher wrote:Joe I just noticed you was from Indy. Im only 20 miles south of indy if you ever want to get out in the field. Ive got some pretty good spots.
yeah definitely! i'll send you a PM w/ my cell number.
T radix

Post by T radix »

NickAsher wrote:Its snake road thats all you need to say to be really PUMPED.
True. But I'm not talking just pumped, I'm talking Hanz & Franz PUMPED.

Sorry of that relatively historic reference went over your head. :)

Joe
pythonregius3

Post by pythonregius3 »

Joe & Nick I am from franklin, IN so just south of Indy as well. I have been wanting to meet some other herpers to get out with and maybe find some new spots. i have a few good spots in southern indiana i go to but haven't found a new good one in a while. Have one spot i have seen 6 timber rattlers in last 2 years as well as a few other decent spots. Let me know if either of you would ever want to meet up.

i have never collected a single living creature and just enjoy getting pictures and seeing wildlife of any kind but mostly snakes.

Also I love the hanz and franz reference. haven't heard of or thought of that in forever.
pythonregius3

Post by pythonregius3 »

wow nick, didn't catch you were franklin as well. what part of town do you live in? i have lived in franklin my entire life. i live in Canary Creek subdivision.
NickAsher

Post by NickAsher »

I live on west jefferson so not to far from ya. Ive only gotten 1 timber road cruising. I got some good spots.
pythonregius3

Post by pythonregius3 »

Cool. I didn't find any for several years of trying then found a few locations I have seen several at. Think you have to get lucky and find location close to hibernation site. 2 years back found two very skinny adults together w 2 babies and several shed skins from neonates. Near a trail so hoping the wrong person doesn't find them
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Anyone been out to the road yet, is anything moving? Considering a family trip down there, maybe even this next upcoming weekend.
NickAsher

Post by NickAsher »

THey are moving
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

NickAsher wrote:THey are moving
Awesome, thanks for the info.
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

Thinking about a solo trip down there saturday.... I'll have to see!
T radix

Post by T radix »

Anyone plan on being there any time between the 24th and 27th? I wouldn't mind running into some like-minded folks.

Joe
T radix

Post by T radix »

Are there bathroom stalls at either end of Snake Road?

Joe
rtdunham

Post by rtdunham »

T radix wrote:Are there bathroom stalls at either end of Snake Road?
nope.
JoeDANG

Post by JoeDANG »

Had a great time out there this weekend. Huge props to NickAsher for taking the time to show us around and share his knowledge and experience with a couple of noobs. I guess the snakes were a little slow, but we located some other herps and a few mushrooms as well!
T radix

Post by T radix »

JoeDANG wrote:Had a great time out there this weekend. Huge props to NickAsher for taking the time to show us around and share his knowledge and experience with a couple of noobs. I guess the snakes were a little slow, but we located some other herps and a few mushrooms as well!

Glad you had a good time! What did you see down there? Did you see any snakes? I'll be there Thursday.

Joe
JoeDANG

Post by JoeDANG »

T radix wrote:
JoeDANG wrote:Had a great time out there this weekend. Huge props to NickAsher for taking the time to show us around and share his knowledge and experience with a couple of noobs. I guess the snakes were a little slow, but we located some other herps and a few mushrooms as well!

Glad you had a good time! What did you see down there? Did you see any snakes? I'll be there Thursday.

Joe
Yes, there were several cottonmouths, ringnecks and others. Supposedly the big push hadn't happened yet, so you might have timed it just right. No complaints here the weather was perfect and it was my first time so I had no idea what to expect. Let me know how it goes!

The other Joe
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

I was down there the weekend before last as well. Sightings were upwards of 20 cottonmouths, 4 ribbonsnakes, 2 brown snakes, 3 ringneck snakes, 1 black ratsnake. Some other folks I talked to reported seeing 2 rough greens but I missed out on those. Other than that saw a five lined skink, Sceloporus sp., lotsa leopard frogs, tons of toads, plenty of cricket frogs, some salamanders here and there.

Slower than the last time I was out there, booming compared to my very first. Either way they're out and about.
ImageAmiable Agkistrodon by antonsrkn, on Flickr
NickAsher

Post by NickAsher »

Not a problem JoeDang. I got some new places to go for some different species. Like I said we will beheaded down in the fall again. I am told the fall was better.