Bimini - A shark lover's paradise

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jason folt

Bimini - A shark lover's paradise

Post by jason folt »

There will be herps, but don't expect too much!

You might remember from about this same time last year that I entered the world of underwater photography? I haven't had much of a chance to dive and practice my new hobby since our trip last February. With winter fully upon us, Molly and I decided it would be a nice time to escape the ice and snow of Michigan. Sounds like a great time for another dive trip!

We decided to stay a little more low key than Bora Bora. We wanted someplace close and easy to travel to quickly. I wanted good diving, (and maybe a snake or two) and Molly wanted warm weather, and a beach. Armed with our wish list, we looked at the Caymans, Utila and the Bahamas. Utila and the whale sharks were our first choice (also tons of cool herps), but we decided it was a little more travel than we were looking for. We decided to try the Bahamas. I was primarily fueled by some amazing images of Great Hammerhead sharks coming out of Bimini. The waters surrounding Bimini are perfect for sharks, and many species of them. I was sold. Luckily for all of you, there are a few herps too. Dick Bartlett and Jake Scott had some interesting stories of their travels, so I knew it would provide a little topside entertainment opportunities as well.

I may not be up on the most recent nomenclature for the fish or the herps. I used Reef Fish Identification to Florida, Caribbean and the Bahamas for the aquatic stuff. For the herps I used http://www.caribherp.org and Island Lists of the West Indian Amphibians and Reptiles from 2012.

Bimini was easily reached. We flew from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale, and then picked up a 25 min plane ride for the 50 mile trip due east. There is even a highspeed ferry (cruise ship?) that makes the trip from Florida to Bimini in about 1.5 hours. We had an early flight, and were to land on the island a little after noon. There were some rain delays, but we still got in early enough that our day was not wasted.

Greeting us upon our arrival were the resident bull sharks that hang out around the docks of the Marina.

Seems like we were at the right place! The next day got off to an early start as there were a couple dives planned for the morning. It was going to be one of my only dive days where sharks were not the focus, as well as I my first time shooting with the camera in a while. I decided to try my hand at macro and focus on the small(er) critters.

Squirrelfish Holocentrus adscensionis

Yellowhead Jawfish Opistognathus aurifrons

Blue Chromis Chromis cyanea

Whitespotted Filefish Cantherhines macrocerus

Spotted Moray Eel Gymnothorax moringa

The resort we stayed at had plenty of trees and some of Bimin's herps were easily found on the grounds.

Bahaman Brown Anole Anolis sagrei ordinatus

Bimini Ameiva Ameiva auberi richmondi

Bimini Curly-tailed Lizard Leiocephalus carinatus coryi

Bimini Green Anole Anolis smaragdinus lerneri

Bimini Bark Anole Anolis distichus bimiensis

I also explored the streets around North Bimini a bit, flipping rocks and debris when possible and trying to not be too intrusive of people and their homes. Places that looked inhabitable definitely had inhabitants... More of the species above were seen, as well as a Sphaerodactylus sp. that escaped without definitive ID. I was able to find my fist snake though, the biggest blind snake I have ever seen, flipped under a small board.

Typhlops biminiensis

After, Molly and I enjoyed a decent Valentine's Day sunset facing Florida.

We planned to explore North Bimini a bit the next morning, and then rent bikes to explore South Bimini in the afternoon. North Bimini is where most of the population lives and works. We wandered the local streets and made sure to check out a "museum", The Dolphin House. A native Bahamian has been working on this house for many years now, building it out of reclaimed materials. He has a ton of patience and creativity.

Says he found these washed up on the beach...

He talked about protecting the bimini boa, and even mentioned he had a "baby". It was actually the smaller, dwarf boa species Tropidophis canus curtis.

We don't miss cold Detroit at all...

That afternoon we rented craptastic bikes and took the ferry over to South Bimini. Plenty of anoles were visible on the trees, and we even got a glimpse of another snake.

Bimini Green Anole Anolis smaragdinus lerneri

I had now seen 3 of the 4 anole species. Much of my time was now being spent starting at small branches for the elusive twig anole, and searching low for the boas.

Bimini Racer Alsophis vudii picticeps

Attempts at capture in the midafternoon sun were widely unsuccessful. Further exploration on bikes turned up one more DOR racer.

Today was the big day.

Nurse Shark Ginglymostoma cirratum and Great Hammerhead Shark Sphyrna mokarran

I had been trying to photographing this nurse shark in the sand flats when I noticed the looming shape in the background. The game was on! Technically, not a great shot by any means, but I just love it.

I wish I could have spent all day with the hammers. My limited bottom time just didn't cut it. Looking back I realize this is ridiculous, and I should be extremely thankful to even get a second long glimpse of this regal and magnificent fish. As it was, I got to hang out and get multiple looks. It was hard to convince myself to take a few passes to just focus on the shark and the moment, and to leave the camera pointed down, but it was worth the imprint in my memory of the grace of the shark cruising underwater.

The next dive was much less eventful, but I had my WA lens loaded, and I enjoyed trying to photograph the large schools of fish on the shallow reef. Since returning, I have really gotten a kick out of trying to ID all the fish that were photographed in the picture. It has proved difficult, but rewarding and my fish identification skills should be much improved on future dives.

French Angelfish Pomacanthus paru, Porkfish Anisotremus virginicus (top right with vertical black bars), White Grunts Haemulon plumierii, French Grunts Haemulon flavolineatum, Black Durgon Melichthys niger (top left), Bluestriped Grunts Haemulon sciurus, Yellowtail Snapper Ocyurus chrysurus (top left), Tomtate Haemulon aurolineatum

Spotted Goatfish Pseudupeneus maculatus, Bluestriped Grunts Haemulon sciurus, French Grunts Haemulon flavolineatum, White Grunts Haemulon plumierii

Gray Angelfish Pomacanthus arcuatus

Bluestriped Grunts Haemulon sciurus, Tomtate Haemulon aurolineatum, French Grunts Haemulon flavolineatum, Squirrelfish Holocentrus adscensionis, White Grunts Haemulon plumierii, Spotted Goatfish Pseudupeneus maculatus

Bluestriped Grunts Haemulon sciurus, Tomtate Haemulon aurolineatum, French Grunts Haemulon flavolineatum, Blue Tang Acanthurus coeruleus, Squirrelfish Holocentrus adscensionis

Atlantic Trumpetfish Aulostomas maculatus, Bluestriped Grunts Haemulon sciurus, French Grunts Haemulon flavolineatum, Tomtates Haemulon aurolineatum, Spotfin Butterflyfish Chaetodon ocellatus, Sergeant Major Abudefduf saxatilis, Ocean Surgeonfish Acanthurus tractus, Squirrelfish Holocentrus adscensionis, Blackbar Soldierfish Myripristis jacobus, Doctorfish Acanthurus chirurgus

The pythons in south Florida may be getting much of the bad press, but another hugely problematic invasive species introduced by the pet trade is the Red Lionfish Pterois volitans. The fish have become widely established on reefs in the caribbean and the gulf. They grow very large, very fast, and eat many of the native reef fishes. They reproduce extremely quickly and have enormous clutches. A recipe for disaster. So far, it seems they have no native predators. Luckily, very strong efforts have been initiated to attempt to help keep their numbers in check. We know they can't be eradicated, but are working hard to provide some form of natural predator - humans! Reef.org (check out their site for wonderful information and ways to help) is helping lead the way, organizing lionfish hunts and contests and even publishing a lionfish cookbook to provide safe cleaning methods and delicious lionfish recipes - Eat 'Em to Beat 'Em!

Unfortunately, I saw lionfish on every reef dive. My divemaster usually brings a small spear along to do his part, but we didn't have one today. He was pretty sure he had taken care of them all at this dive location. Guess not...

Red Lionfish Pterois volitans, Bluestriped Grunts Haemulon sciurus, Bluehead Wrasse yellow initial phase Thalassoma bifasciatum (yellow fish to left center), Longspine Squirrelfish Holocentrus rufus (two bottom right, better IDed from photos earlier in sequence), and maybe a schoolmaster Lutjanus apodus

Red Lionfish Pterois volitans, Bluestriped Grunts Haemulon sciurus (top center with black tails), French Grunts Haemulon flavolineatum (bottom center, White Grunts Haemulon plumierii (intermixed, mostly bottom left), Blackbar Soldierfish Myripristis jacobus (left center background), Goatfish Sp. (Mullus auratus???? - left center red fish in sea of grunts)

I spotted a nurseshark on this dive, which I left to his slumber.

As well as a couple eels. This was quite a nice dive looking back.
Goldentail Moray Gymnothorax miliaris

Green Moray Eel Gymnothorax funebris, Bluestriped Grunts Haemulon sciurus (all over with black tails), French Grunts Haemulon flavolineatum (bottom left), White Grunts Haemulon plumierii (intermixed, mostly center left and center right), and maybe a Blackbar Soldierfish Myripristis jacobus (partially hidden bottom center)

Today I spent my morning herping, and as hard as possible. I was up at the crack of dawn and on the ferry over to South Bimini. I decided to spend as much of the morning walking the roads on South Bimini and exploring. I was hoping to find old homesteads, rock piles, trash, boards, etc. I also was planning on scanning the trees every step of the way to find my last elusive anole species, the twig anole. Quite the agenda for the day!

It started off fast. Right when I got off the land taxi to start the walk, I was able to find 3 out of the 4 anole species in one tree. Of course, there was not a twig anole.

Bimini Bark Anole Anolis distichus bimiensis

I think this is a dark Bimini Green Anole Anolis smaragdinus lerneri

Things got real slow for a long time after that first tree. I flipped enough trash, palm fronds, and rocks to turn my hands raw. I explored random side roads and trails. I had a virtually impossible time spotting more anoles as well. Roadside in the thick bush just wasn't a great way to try and spot them. Finally, after slogging miles in the hot sun I flipped a piece of cardboard to find a nice little racer. This one did not give me the slip!

Bimini Racer Alsophis vudii picticeps

There was also a large DOR racer in the road to finish off my morning. Molly and I enjoyed a nice lunch and decided to rent a golf cart to explore North Bimini. We traveled all the way up north to the Resorts World Resort. This resort "seemed" real nice, and was the only place on island that took credit cards for small items. We enjoyed some nice gelato here and I was able to photograph a Palm Warbler calling from one of the trees.

Unfortunately, Resorts World is creating quite the controversy. It is making jobs and helping bring an influx of tourists. The resort is upgrading and enlarging the airport (destroying herp habitat!) to allow for larger jets. They are putting money into upgrading the islands sewers and water infrastructure. For an island culture based on fishing, diving, drinking and Hemmingway, some people think too many tourists may ruin a good thing. I don't really have much of an opinion there. What I do know is they are destroying the vital mangrove ecosystem that is so important to Bimini and the oceans. The fish, sharks, lobster, conch, and sea turtles all rely on the mangroves as a nursery. They talking about putting in a golf course (no room!) and they have already started construction on a major jetty for their large cruiseship/high speed ferry from Miami which has raised concerns over the reefs it is destroying.

We worked our way back south along the beach and I took the chance to flip rocks and logs when able. I was able to find another example of the sphaero species that eluded me earlier, and this time I made the grab. I shot a quick voucher shot for ID purposes, then tried to photograph it in a more natural environment. It disappeared immediately into the rocks. I am starting to hate sphaeros at this point. Lesson learned though - photograph in a room studio! A few more were seen but I couldn't bring any to hand.

There is a neat old shipwreck along the beach we stopped to check out.

This day would be my last dive day. I opted to skip one of the wrecks and stick to shallower water. Somehow, I was the only diver most of the days and essentially got private diving. This had been working to my advantage so far. I like to stay on shallower reefs to optimize bottom time and more photographic opportunities. We dove turtle rocks (hoping for a turtle), and the dive was full of life. The dive guy sketched out though and had me finish the dive at 45 minutes, with 1200 PSI left. What's the point of a shallow private dive then?

Goldentail Moray Gymnothorax miliaris

I guess turtle rocks is actually named because at very low tides the top of the coral formations are visible and look like the backs of turtles. They do sometimes have turtles too. Unfortunately, not today.

I think this is a Southern Stingray Dasyatis americana, but I am not positive. It has small tubercules along its back and tail which may make it a Roughtail stingray Dasyatis centroura? Any stingray experts out there?

Sergeant Major Abudefduf saxatilis, Rock Beauty Holacanthus tricolor

The second dive was a caribbean reef shark dive. It did not disappoint.

Caribbean Reef Shark Carcharhinus perezi

That night I was able to convince Molly to go on a short night hike. She wasn't super excited about me walking around alone so joined me for a search for another Sphaerodactylus species. After about 10 minutes of searching I spotted our quarry, but it quickly disappeared. Luckily, another one was found under a rock and stayed put long enough to get a photo.

Black Spotted Dwarf Gecko Sphaerodactylus nigropunctatus flavicauda

A Centruroides was also hanging around. Anyone able to help me with the species?

Our last day I went for a final effort hike in the early morning. I rose just after dawn, hoping to catch basking snakes and slow lizards in the early morning sun. A great idea, except I chose a location on the west side of the island. It took a few hours of hiking before the lizards even started to come out. I was able to flip this sickly looking Sphaero though. My third species of the trip.

Sphaerodactylus notatus

I also flipped one of the ameivas. My closest look of the trip. This was proof I was out there too early for lizards!

My time was running short though as I had to make the trek back to north Bimini. Boas and twig anoles were just not in my cards. I was seeing and hearing more rustling in the trees though, and branches that were without lizards a couple hours ago now had them. One in particular caught my eye...

Twig Anole Anolis angusticeps oligaspis

I was beaming to finally knock off the last of the anole species on the island. Unfortunately, my time was now very much up and I had to hoof it back to the ferry quickly. Walking back through north Bimini though I spotted this on one of the streets near my hotel.

Pretty tough to find one this way. It was on a small side street, with houses on either side. I couldn't help myself by trying to flip a few items of cover in the last few blocks. My persistence paid off. I finally was able to photograph the north Bimini Sphaero.

A few more items of cover ticked off another one of Bimini's snake species for me.

That afternoon we visited the Bimini Shark Lab. If you like sharks, you should check it out. They have a ton of really fascinating research ongoing in an effort to learn more about these fascinating creatures. At the time, the visit was free, but they asked for a donation.

A view of their lemon shark pens.

Speaking of lemons...

When we visited Bora Bora last year, a diver was attacked by a sicklefin lemon shark (different species, but very similar) the day we had arrived. It was all the buzz on the island, and Molly didn't deal with that too well. She saw many sharks while diving, but we never did see a lemon, and she never had a chance to conquer her fear after hearing the story of the attack.

Conquering old fears! (There is a lemon shark in the shadows)

The Bimini islands were a pretty fascinating place. For such small islands, with tons of cover, they were suprisingly hard to herp successfully. Great company and some nice diving made the trip more than enjoyable though. The weather was amazing the whole time.

Even the dogs enjoy the blue water. Farewell Bimini!

Hope you enjoyed!

Jason
jason folt

Re: Bimini - A shark lover's paradise

Post by jason folt »

Sorry. Looks like my verticals weren't formatted properly when I edited. I'm too lazy to fix it now.

Jason
Martti Niskanen

Post by Martti Niskanen »

Not too bad a herp post, but some nice UW-photography.
justinm

Post by justinm »

You have some awesome UW stuff here. It's always great to see this kind of photography. Way to work getting so many species knocked off your list.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Awesome! I just got into diving last year and this makes me eager to get back in the water.
pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa »

Those reef shark pics are amazing and I love the shot of that goldentail moray. Great post man, Bimini looks awesome. You picked the right time of year to get outta here for sure. Just got another 8-10 today, ughh!
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Thanks for the ride Jason, I love sharks too. Your underwater photog skills are excellent!! And, congratulations on "Twiggy" :D :thumb:
Muchobirdnerd

Post by Muchobirdnerd »

Some of these underwater pics are epic. If you're into diving I would highly recommend Dominica. It also has endemic herps and birds.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Absolutely spectacular thread!

The underwater photographs are simply amazing, as well as your detailed shots of the herps.

I found myself rooting for you the whole way towards that Twig Anole haha!

The blindsnakes are gorgeous, especially that jet black one!
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

Sounded and looked like a great time! You did way better herping then I did when I was in the Caribbean.

Your shark photos are beautiful. Love the hammerheads. I was able to see one off Key Largo but my dive companion didn't want to go anywhere near it.
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

Thanks everyone! I was really hoping to photograph the live boas and some sea turtles. It just wasn't to be this time. I still have much room for improvement underwater. My lighting placement and control need much work to start. It's a blast though. It's much harder than herp photography in ways that are new and exciting. I just love coming home and reliving the dives and the animals.

Pjfishpa - we got hit hard in Detroit too. I'm ready to be done with this winter. I really tried to embrace it and spent more time playing pond hockey and snowboarding then ever.

Dominica! A whale lovers paradise. You can snorkel with sperm whales! On my (long) list for sure.

Zach - I was much more partial to the pink blind. It was huge! 10 inches. The brown one was a nice find later and tons smaller.

Jason
Nick Evans

Post by Nick Evans »

Great post! Those shark photos are amazing! Looks like a very interesting place.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Awesome post Jason! I love all of these pics...the underwater especially. Are you using an enclosure on a digital 35mm setup? BTW, what is the dor snake specie you found on the 'hoof'??

Dave
jason folt

Re: Bimini - A shark lover's paradi

Post by jason folt »

Thanks nick and Dave!

Dave. I shoot my Nikon d7000 in a nauticam housing. I have a macro port for my 105vr and a wide angle dome port with my tokens 10-17 fisheye. The tokina is an uw lens workhouse and very highly touted. I have two sea and sea strobes off to the side on a couple float arms. The rig is a beast. Talk about drag underwater. But I love it. The up keep is a pain in the ass. I inspect and clean O rings constantly. But it's totally worth it.

Sorry looks like I forgot a couple IDs. The dor is the Bimini ground boa. Tropadophis canus curtus. The second blind snake is typhlops lumbicalis.

Jason
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Amazing post, good herp content but the underwater photography eclipses it! Really amazing stuff, so many cool sharks and outstanding underwater images. It makes me really excited as Im getting Padi certified in a few months in the Philippines and I have a dive planned in an area where I can see some thresher sharks. Its gonna kill me that I cant get any decent photos though, for underwater photography all I have is an Olympus P&S. Anyways you really blew it out of the park with this one! Great work.
Noel Thomas

Post by Noel Thomas »

Awesome stuff! Herps and sharks. Not much more I'd ask for in a trip.
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

A couple bad links corrected on review and the photo sizes fixed. Thanks again everyone.

Anton - Good luck in the philippines. My recommendation would be to get certified before leaving so you don't have to waste dives there on your 4 open water dives. That being said, your options in the winter are probably slim to none so I understand why you are probably doing it how you are. Threshers are awesome. Even if you see em don't worry about pics. Most I have seen from great photographers are still blurry and far away. Enjoy the moment and forget the camera for a second. I tried to ignore my camera for the first few hammer passes in an attempt to capture a mental image of the animal. Sometimes it is easy to forget why we started doing this in the first place and we worry more about our images. Also, as a very new diver, I would recommend at least 50 dives before you start carrying a camera. You need to get very comfortable with your own safety and really try to develop perfect buoyancy. Adding a camera into the mix is too much to think about right off the bat. I can't tell you how many divers ignore the basics during photography and rape reefs, disturb animals, etc. I am still very new at this and trying my best to still be responsible and as noninvasive as possible.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Fantastic photos - hammerheads, tigers ans bulls are the next sharks I want to see.
Antonsrkn wrote:Amazing post, good herp content but the underwater photography eclipses it! Really amazing stuff, so many cool sharks and outstanding underwater images. It makes me really excited as Im getting Padi certified in a few months in the Philippines and I have a dive planned in an area where I can see some thresher sharks. Its gonna kill me that I cant get any decent photos though, for underwater photography all I have is an Olympus P&S. Anyways you really blew it out of the park with this one! Great work.
I just got back from Malapascua - awesome place (also if you have the opportunity to see whale sharks in Donsol - do it!). There's also some good spots to find sea kraits around the island - I found a huge female.

Here are some shocking photos (it was dark, the visibility was poor and my underwater camera is old):

Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

jason folt wrote: Anton - Good luck in the philippines. My recommendation would be to get certified before leaving so you don't have to waste dives there on your 4 open water dives. That being said, your options in the winter are probably slim to none so I understand why you are probably doing it how you are. Threshers are awesome. Even if you see em don't worry about pics. Most I have seen from great photographers are still blurry and far away. Enjoy the moment and forget the camera for a second. I tried to ignore my camera for the first few hammer passes in an attempt to capture a mental image of the animal. Sometimes it is easy to forget why we started doing this in the first place and we worry more about our images. Also, as a very new diver, I would recommend at least 50 dives before you start carrying a camera. You need to get very comfortable with your own safety and really try to develop perfect buoyancy. Adding a camera into the mix is too much to think about right off the bat. I can't tell you how many divers ignore the basics during photography and rape reefs, disturb animals, etc. I am still very new at this and trying my best to still be responsible and as noninvasive as possible.
Jason, I think thats very solid advice all around, thank you for it, it helps put things into perspective. I do agree that it would be nice to get certified before getting over there but thats not really an option as I barely have a free moment from now until I leave and i'm meeting a friend out there and we wanted to get scuba certified together, she'd be more than a little irritated with me if I changed things up on her now. Forgetting the camera is another tough one, but I think you are exactly correct its easy to get too focused on our images. Sometimes its more cathartic to just observe and not have to worry about capturing THE image. I'd also hate to be one of the environmentally irresponsible folks messing with wildlife and the reef and I know from my few dives in the past that i still have alot to learn so I think i'll follow your advice of leaving behind the camera during my dives and focus on the sights and improving my diving technique. I can always use the P&S during snorkeling.
I just got back from Malapascua - awesome place (also if you have the opportunity to see whale sharks in Donsol - do it!). There's also some good spots to find sea kraits around the island - I found a huge female.
I wont be there until late May so it looks like I will probably be missing the prime whale shark season, but i was still planning on checking it out just in case. I'm also really really hoping to see some sea kraits. I have a few questions about the area, i'll send you a PM in order not to derail this thread.
David O

Post by David O »

Nice stuff! The Missus and I are talking about going to Bimini in the next year or two. Good to get a preview.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I like seeing it all this way much better than facebook. That Hammerhead is quite the sighting. I do see a fish ID that I believe is questionable. In the picture of the French Angelfish, your half a fish in the upper left hand corner looks like a Yellow Goatfish rather than a Yellowtail Snapper. You can see the difference in the shape of the body, fins, and tail.

I'm still cursed with the Sphaeros. I haven't seen a one on this trip. I'll be in MI on the 9th, hopefully our schedules match to get in the field this spring.

Curtis
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

Anton - Sounds like a great trip Have fun and good luck with the threshers!

David - I can help point you in the right direction of places to stay and such when the time comes.

Curtis - No sphaeros still!!! I don't know what to say. They were a little tough at the beggining of the trip, but ended up getting pretty easy near the end. I sure didn't actually catch many though. Thanks for the goatfish ID too.

Back in MI Apr 9th? I am off the 10-12th. Salamanders are just now starting to pop. Saw my first turtles last Mon. Hoping to get paddling soon. How long are you town til? I can't wait to see more pics from your trip!

Jason