First herping trip of the year!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kingsnakeadam

First herping trip of the year!

Post by kingsnakeadam »

Over this last weekend decided to hit a few spots cause of the recent rains. Even though it wasn't much lol. There was a few sideblotched and a few blue bellies. And this was also a fun trip cause I got the whole family to go out with me, my three sons 6, 4, and 2, and even my wife! So hear are the highlights of the trip.

This is the second tarantula I have ever flipped but the first was during their breeding season. So I was very surprised to find one like this, this time of year.

Next a skink the boys liked this one.

And then my highlight of the trip. My first snake of the year! Southern Pacific rattlesnake! My wife got freaked out and stayed in the car while I got some pics lol.

Nature Nate

Re: First herping trip of the year!

Post by Nature Nate »

Congrats on the finds! I just found a Helleri with my brother today as well. It looks like there is one species who doesn't mind the drought too much! I wish my whole family would come out herping with me. Keep up the good work.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Not bad at all. I think the tarantula was your best find. :D
kingsnakeadam

Post by kingsnakeadam »

Thanks guys! Yeah Ross the tarantula was really cool and a nice surprise!
reako45

Post by reako45 »

Nice looking helleri. Still amazed at how variable they are, even within locale specific pockets. You'll probably be seeing alot of them this season due to how dry it is. Last year (also dry in my neck I went to board sites that had yielded a variety of snakes previously and saw mostly helleri.

reako45
reako45

Post by reako45 »

Meant to say "my neck of the woods". Sorry. So much for trying to post comments while doing a 1:1 w/ a patient detoxing from "h". :crazyeyes:

reako45