Iowa turtles need your help

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

justinm

Iowa turtles need your help

Post by justinm »

I just copied this from HerpDigest, which is a great publication to receive in your email. Take a look at this and give a quick, and polite email to the Iowa DNR.

From Jeff Leclrere, Zoologist performing amphibian and reptile surveys at MN DNR

Just attended commercial turtle harvest meetings in Muscatine and Des Moines, Iowa. If you care about wild turtle populations, your help is needed! - read on. The Iowa DNR has proposed closing the season on turtle harvest from January 1 - July 15. This will benefit IA turtle populations by completely eliminating harvest during the female's egg development and nesting seasons. Please consider sending a quick email (contact listed below) to SUPPORT the IDNR's recommendation to impose a season on turtle harvest. The email can be very brief and take just a couple seconds to compose. Simply state "I support the IDNR's recommendation to impose a season on commercial turtle harvest". Feel free to add a sentence or two more such as "I believe IA turtle populations cannot sustain continued harvest over time due to certain aspects of their life history" or something similar. Commercial turtle harvesters have, and will, definitely voice their opposition, so every person's email counts! Iowa residents AND non residents can comment. The comment period begins now and will end by Feb 23, 2014. Please send comments of support to: [email protected] Share this with others and thank you!

To subscribe to Herp Digest, send a message to [email protected]. Wait for a confirmation message in your email. Simply Reply to the message (no text is necessary), and your address will be automatically added to the mailing list. To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to [email protected]. Reply to the confirmation message in your email (no text is necessary), and your address will be automatically removed.
Shane_TX

Re: Iowa turtles need your help

Post by Shane_TX »

Can you give us some Cliff's Notes on the issue? Does Iowa not protect certain species of turtles? Or should we just blindly copy and paste in the name of Jeff Leclere and justinm?

As you should know, it's always improper to be a blind activist. Next up, people like birds and I reasonably don't partake in the villification of bird hunters because I hunt some birds too.

Shane
justinm

Re: Iowa turtles need your help

Post by justinm »

Shane,

As you've stated I'm not against the harvest of animals. But as a hunter I'm sure you're aware of the seasons and take limits. That is the main issue here. We need to have seasons and take limits imposed.