Fall 2013 in San Diego – neo season

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

SurfinHerp

Fall 2013 in San Diego – neo season

Post by SurfinHerp »

Dry weather dominated Southern California during the Fall of 2013. Despite the drought, there were a few brief periods with extra humidity when reptiles and amphibians became active. With help from some other FHF’ers, I took advantage of these short windows and encountered a variety of interesting animals - many of them neonates.

Here are some photos and stories from my travels this past Fall…

late-August desert road-cruise…

This little glossy snake was one of the first neo’s I found in 2013

An adult long-nosed snake was a good surprise, as I hadn’t seen one since May

Nice-looking adult Colorado desert shovel-nosed snake

This unfortunate gray fox had no obvious injuries. It must have been struck about ten minutes before I found it by the only other vehicle I had seen on the road in over an hour.
I moved it off the road after taking a quick photo.

A desert banded gecko in need of a shed

September…

High-spotted adult striped California kingsnake

Feisty hatchling gopher snake

In early September a thunderstorm in the mountains dropped about two inches of rain. A couple days later, my FHF buddies Frank and Ronnie had a feeling that we should be able to find some California mountain kingsnakes (Lampropeltis zonata), so we went up and gave it a shot.
Sure enough, we found five zonata, a few large-blotched ensatinas, a two-striped gartersnake, and a gopher snake in about three hours of searching.

Here’s the smallest zonata – probably a recent hatchling

This was the nicest-looking adult of the three found
The other two adults were in shed and not as photogenic.

Perfect-banded juvenile 'candycane' 8-)

All the zonata were found by Frank and Ronnie. The only snake I found was this decidedly less attractive gophersnake (in the blue)

My personal best find that day was this small, bright orange large-blotchie

Later on in September…

A rodent snuck into this voucher photo of a granite night lizard up on an outcrop one night

The only neonate sidewinder I found alive all season

This creek is supposed to be one of the few that flow year-round in San Diego
Not this year

Speckled rattlesnake, as found in the shade near the dry creekbed

This was the most attractive newborn Southern Pacific rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus helleri) I saw all season

Top view

Adult granite night lizard found active on rocks
Notice it doesn’t have the spotted pattern you normally see on these guys at night.

Sleek neo striper

On Sept. 22nd, I attended the Anaheim Reptile Breeders Conference and helped staff the NAFHA table. I had a great time and really enjoyed hanging with Fundad, Lori, Ricrabt, Hellihooks, John A. and a few other FHF’ers.

Here’s Fundad with an awesome Eastern indigo snake loaned to our table by Black Pearl Reptiles

John and Jim manning the table

I thought the Anaheim show was much better than the San Diego Reptile SuperShow, which was overly crowded and difficult to move around.

In Fall 2012, on a road not too far from the coast, I found a pair of DOR California glossy snakes which got the attention of the USGS after I posted photos of them here on FHF. The USGS wanted DNA samples from this locale where glossies were thought to have been extirpated.
So during 2013 I made a concerted effort to find another one. In late September, after about 20 unsuccessful attempts, I found this little hatchling alive and well crossing the road.
A few days later I found another, freshly hit, hatchling as well.

I thought some of you might find this interesting: a fresh lyre snake shed coming out of a crevice about 5 feet off the ground, right next to a road I was cruising.
I searched the large outcropping for about 20 minutes, hoping to find the freshly shed lyre. Instead, all I found was this rattler coiled and sleeping in the brush.

On the first night in October, I took a long drive along the eastern edge of the mountains. Soon after sunset, I found a freshly hit helleri and a squashed gophersnake. Then the newborn glossy snakes started crossing the road left and right.
Over the course of about an hour, I found 7 baby glossies (only one DOR). Here are the two best pics I took..

Further down the road, after a while of not seeing anything, I came across two adult red diamond rattlers (Crotalus ruber) in rapid succession…

the second one left a cool track in the sand behind it

a closer (blurry) photo of the second ruber

After that, all I found were a few banded geckos. Decent night overall though.

A few nights later, I found this newborn ruber on a road I cruise often but had never seen this species on before.

Here’s a large western toad displaying its defensive posture on a rainy night

I caught up with Frank and Ronnie in the Imperial Valley one night and looked for a few species to add to my yearly list. We didn’t find any Western diamondbacks, but we did see some frogs, toads and geckos…

I think the toads we saw were Woodhouse toads, but I guess they could be Great Basin toads based on the range maps.

Small bullfrog

Woodhouse toad?

Mediterranean house gecko

Any help with the ID of the toads would be appreciated.

Here’s a handsome little hatchling granite spiny lizard found on the western edge of their range in San Diego County

In the third week of October, I made a three-night trip to Arizona with high hopes of finding a brown vine snake, a green ratsnake, or an Arizona mountain kingsnake.

Overall, my trip was a failure. Just like in California, conditions were extremely dry in Arizona. High pressure had hung around the entire region for the previous two weeks, parching the landscape and sending most snakes underground.

Here are the best photos I took on the trip. Notice the majority of them are just habitat shots.…..

Early morning in the Sonoran desert

Driving through the Tohono O’odham Nation

Red-spotted toad found under a large rock in a muddy remnant of a small pond

Green ratsnake habitat?

Brown vine snake habitat?

Good spot to take a walk

Juvenile Clark’s spiny lizard

Hatchling Sonoran gophersnake

Adult Clark’s spiny found sleeping at night

Early bird seen at dawn (looking for big green worms too?)

Leaving vine snake habitat

After a full day of searching and only finding one little gophersnake, I decided to head to a different mountain range and go to higher elevations where I hoped there might be a little more moisture leftover from the monsoons.

Yarrow’s spiny lizards were abundant up in this range…

I caught a brief glimpse of a mountain kingsnake too, but I wasn’t able to get a photo before it disappeared down the steep, rocky slope next to the trail.

At dusk I slowly worked my way downhill as the temps were quickly dropping.

The only thing I found was this diamondback at the base of the mountains

Later that night Monty W. and I cruised around Tucson for an hour or so and found another atrox, plus a couple of DORs. Then my time ran out and I drove home largely disappointed. I hope to return to AZ this coming spring, but only if winter brings appreciable rain.

November was another slow month of herping here in San Diego.
The weather was unusually warm one day though, so I went out to the desert one last time just to see if anything might still be active.
I got lucky and found a handful of banded geckos (including 3 hatchlings), plus a baby lyre snake….

Sleepy baby

Curly tail

tiny lyre snake that wouldn't hold still
(first snake I’ve ever road-cruised in the month of Nov.)

I already posted the other finds I made in November, including some Monterey ensatinas, common lizards, and rattlers. If you’re interested you can check them out here: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=18071

December was even slower for me than November. So I’ll end this post with photos of the final few herps I found in 2013…

Adult western skink and young-of-the-year alligator lizard found together under AC

Small banded Cal. king

Cool-looking banded king - flipped by NatureNate, together with Justin (MassHorridus) and his brother who were visiting from out of state

Small adult helleri also found with Nate and Justin

Juvie western skink

Hope you enjoyed my photos!

Feel free to add pics of any newborns you found last Fall. I'd love to see 'em.

Jeff
AndrewZ

Re: Fall 2013 in San Diego – neo season

Post by AndrewZ »

Awesome post man. Looks like you had a succesful fall. Love the pulchra, klauberi, and that pretty speck. both the pulchra and klauberi are 2 of my goals for this year but I think it's gonna be pretty hard if this drought keeps up.
Will Wells

Post by Will Wells »

Nice series of photos! I'm heading out there in March to herp a little. Hope the rains come before then.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

good stuff Jeff... :thumb: jim
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Thanks guys!

Andrew - I'm sure there'll be at least a few good days to find your targets this year, but the windows of opportunity might be really short. Let's keep in touch and I'll share my field observations with ya.

Will - I'd like to catch up with you and search for Baja collared lizards in/near SD County. I haven't got any good photos of them, and I know you're the man when it comes to collareds. I'm sure I could learn something by watching how you stalk them for your awesome photos.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Very nice post.
I especially liked the Yarrow's on the rock, complimented by the multicolored lichens.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Always enjoy your posts Jeff, the stuff I love! :thumb: :beer:
tspuckler

Post by tspuckler »

Nice. I enjoyed the mountaintop Spiny Lizards and the scenery.
The shots of the Night Lizards at night were very cool as well.

Tim