North Queensland herping

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mattsnake

North Queensland herping

Post by Mattsnake »

Just a couple of months ago I made the move from South-east Queensland to Far-north Queensland for work. This opened up a whole new avenue of herping for me which I was pretty excited about! I haven't been able to get out a great deal or venture too far yet, but I thought I'd put up a few photos of some of the critters I've encountered so far.

First thing I was determined to find was a Chameleon Gecko Carphodactylus laevis purely because I'd never seen one on previous trips north. Turns out they are extremely common in the right habitat.
All photos are 'in situ'

Probably one of the most common snakes out of a night is the Brown Tree Snake Boiga irregularis, also a very common snake down south, so the only reason I bothered to photograph this fella because he was more grey than brown and uglier then the norm.

One of the other common snakes is the Scrub Python Morelia kinghorni

Not as common, but there seems to be a few around in the right areas - Northern Death Adder Acanthophis praelongus

Northern Leaf-tail Geckos Saltuarius cornutus

Prickly Forest Skinks Gnypetoscincus queenslandiae are a species that like to live under and in rotten logs, rarely venturing far from cover.

Frogs are plentiful after it rains (which it has barely done since I've been here).

Orange-thighed Tree Frog Litoria xanthomera

Waterfall Frog Litoria nannotis

Northern Stoney Creek Frog Litoria jungguy

Green-eyed Tree Frog Litoria serrata

The banded form of the Prickly Knob Tail Gecko Nephrurus asper was another find I was really stoked on!

Skinks are also everywhere up here, but I've neglected to photograph pretty much all of them..
Glaphyromorphus fuscicaudis

There's a few different monitor species around the area, with the majority of them being very hard to get anywhere near.
Spotted Tree Monitors Varanus scalaris seem to be common in certain areas, but are very alert and disappear quickly.

Probably one of the highlights of the year for me was this Rusty Monitor Varanus semiremex, it was a great way to end 2013.

A few non-reptiles from the area..

Echidna Tachyglossus aculeatus

Southern Cassowary Casuarius casuarius and his young chick.

Frilled Neck Lizards Chlamydosaurus kingii are starting to appear around the place now that a bit of rain has fallen.

Jungle Carpet Pythons Morelia spilota cheynei turn up from time to time.

Black Mountain just south of Cooktown is a pretty cool place with a few endemic species - a gecko, skink and frog. I'd seen the frog previously but couldn't find it this time.

Black Mountain Skink Liburnascincus scirtetis

Black Mountain Gecko Nactus galgajuga

....and that's pretty much it.
Dr. Dark

Re: North Queensland herping

Post by Dr. Dark »

Nice stuff! That jungle carpet is BEAUTIFUL!
speedy

Post by speedy »

Not bad Matt, I would have liked a few more small brown skinks though. Great shot of the Rusty.

Also, that BTS is very ugly.

Cheers

Ryan
Roki

Post by Roki »

Great post! I love the shots! Really makes me want to get down there. The leaf-tail shots are my favorite.
Cheers,
Roki
jgjulander

Post by jgjulander »

Awesome post, great photos, and amazing animals! Nice job. Love that banded asper!
Justin
Mattsnake

Post by Mattsnake »

Thanks everyone.
Thought I may as well throw a couple of pictures of this guy up as well, purely because taipans are awesome..

Coastal Taipan Oxyuranus scutellatus

Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Excellent post and beautiful photography, every time I look at a post from down under it reaffirms to me that I need to make it down there ASAP!
dery

Post by dery »

:thumb: Matt.