Enulius flavitorques?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

gretzkyrh4

Enulius flavitorques?

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

Anyone care to confirm this ID for me. It was found by my wife near the family beach house in Panama within a hundred yards of the Pacific in disturbed habitat. It's not a species I've seen in person before, but Enulius flavitorques is my best guess based on field guides.

My wife's comment to me when she found it: "I found a dead ringneck on the beach this morning."

VanAR

Re: Enulius flavitorques?

Post by VanAR »

Yep, Chris, you nailed it. That was one of the few snakes I saw in Costa Rica a while back. Really weird how purple they are.

When are you and Melina going to come visit down under?
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

One of these days it will be a Micrurus dissoleucus instead, lots of good snake food around!

Happy New Year Chris and Van! :beer:
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

Thanks guys!

Van - I'd like to say soon, but I'm burning through the majority of my vacation time for 2014 between now and February 1, so we'll see. Need to find a job that offers a bit more free time.

Jon - I hope so Jon. This is the 4th snake species I've found (or Melina has photo'd for me) around the condo. I wouldn't mind finding one of the Porthidium that the maintenance guys claim to have seen as well.

Happy new years to both of you.

Chris
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

They will show up some day.. I found both of those within 5km of the resort there. Both were in the rainy season in Sept. Mario also flipped a young porthidium under a dry piece of wood in similar habitat in Aguadulce that same week. It was in similar disturbed habitat. Keep an eye out for Phimophis around water!
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

I remember Jon. All I found in my one trip to the same habitat were some anoles, toadlets, and a dead horse. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much of that habitat is still standing at this point. And Phimophis is high up on my list when I'm in that part of the country. It'll be pure luck if it happens, but would be cool.

In regards to the Aguadulce site, I plan to make a stop out there next time I'm down in the wet season. It seems like you and Mario made some great finds there with a little more moisture.

Chris