NAFHA SE Chapter 2014 Field Trip(s)?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Holbrook

NAFHA SE Chapter 2014 Field Trip(s)?

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Hey Everyone,

2014 is almost here; in 2013 we got to host the NAFHA national meeting in our little corner of the continent, and I'd like to keep up the momentum with some quality SE Chapter field trips in 2014.

So, let us plot. We need to figure out:

A.) When are some times where people could get a weekend-or-so off?

and
B.) Where do we want to go?

Already we had thrown around the idea of chasing some of those ever-variable Salt Marsh Snakes in some corner of their range, so places such as Appalachicola National Forest or Everglades National Park would be possibilities, but let's get some ideas thrown out there and in a week or two I'll put up a poll and let mob rul...uhh...Democracy decide. I could suggest some other areas, but let's hear from y'all (not my typical vocabulary, but this is the SE Chapter, after all) and discuss the pros/cons of each.

Thanks all,

-JDH
dery

Re: NAFHA SE Chapter 2014 Field Trip(s)?

Post by dery »

All I know right now is that I'll be Visiting my sister-ACDC and her husband Jason in okaloosa county, attending one or two of the 2014 indigo hunts with jim and jimmy and possibly sailing from the St. Andy's to Pensacola to have the Alaris surveyed and stop by the residence of my dad's cousin Tootsy. Probably more time off. Unsure when. So ANF would be better for me than ENP.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Is Tootsy going to be baking any of her famous Rolls? :o

Yes, that was BAD on so many levels...
dery

Post by dery »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Is Tootsy going to be baking any of her famous Rolls? :o

Yes, that was BAD on so many levels...

:lol: Tootsy has no connection to tootsy rolls. She's a direct decendent of a US Marshall who's son I'm named after. We'll just hang out with her and absorb as much geneolgical info on my paternal maternal side which she is part of.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Josh (and everybody else),

I was thinking about putting up a similar post, but was going to wait until after the New Year. In either case, I know that both Josh and I are Florida centered, but the SE chapter extends well beyond our peninsula. Though easier for me than perhaps Josh, because he is so far south, I was thinking of organizing a trip that is at a location that is optimal for the most number of people in the chapter, something centrally located and during a time when people can travel. Just guessing at this point, some place in central Georgia looks like a good starting area. Ideally this event would somewhere that everybody could make the drive in a day, be held over a long weekend, and has lots of good herps!

So like Josh said
let's hear from y'all
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

Anf is always a good choice, maybe Robb can recommend a Ga locale.
Chris
dery

Post by dery »

Central Georgia sounds good for a weekend trip I'd probably make.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

I'll chime in more later, but until then let's hear from some more of the regularly active SE Chapter members - I know it's still vacation for a lot of people, so I guess I did jump the gun a little bit...
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

As far as dates, I have March 1-5 and April 12-20 off. So I like those two time frames, for purely selfish reasons.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

ANF, April.
Tamara D. McConnell

ANF in April would be awesome!
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

ANF in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November or December would be fine with me.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Morocco and/or Algeria sound pretty sweet...any takers? :thumb:

Tim
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

I was leaning towards Somalia, personally.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Josh Holbrook wrote:I was leaning towards Somalia, personally.

Ha Ha!!
I'm serious. I'm going to see Morocco this year. :thumb: :thumb:

Tim
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Tim, my wife has been there twice. Very enjoyable trip she tells me. Of course I had to stay home with the boys!

How about Sumatra?
PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim »

Got a brother in Tally so ANF sounds good. I think I'll be able to get up there pretty much anytime. Spring would be good though.
Tamara D. McConnell

How about Sumatra?
I actually get this joke. Sign me up for Sumatra, DDD.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:
How about Sumatra?
I actually get this joke. Sign me up for Sumatra, DDD.
Every time we go there, I want to go looking for Hairy Rhinos, and all Daniel wants to do is eat at Family Coastal...

Tim - How's your Cobra handling skills?
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Well, it seems like Apalachicola National Forest in April is making people happy.

The last weekend in April works best for me (25-27) as the semester is almost over then. I'm just tossing this date on the table. I am not free the weekend of April 12th because of conflicts with school.

Does anybody have more thoughts on the northern Georgia, western NC, idea. The SE chapter includes Virginia and Kentucky, and I would like to see some of our more northerly members be able to attend an official SE gathering, unlesss they're all willing and able to drive south.
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

The only member I see from north of Florida on this thread is Chris. I'm willing to go north, but then again I live in North Florida, so it doesn't much matter to me. Some of the northern members will probably be going to Conecuh, which is also a SE Chapter function. Have we forgotten that?
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Central GA got mentioned! I second that!
I might actually be able to come out and play if that was the location!

--Berkeley
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Ok, another more northern member. Are there others?
Ecto Hunter

Post by Ecto Hunter »

ANF in April sounds good. I'm in west central GA but ANF seems like a good central location for most of us. But, for the sake of discussion, some GA locatons that I've had on my radar are the Chattahoochee NF, Cohutta Wilderness, and the Altamaha River Basin (lots of WMAs).

Robb Herrington
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

The member biography page has several people from the northern states. I can't speak to how active they are or if they have any interest in attending events. Perhaps we're due for a new member bio page. I would do it myself, but I don't seem to have admin powers.
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

captainjack0000 wrote:
The member biography page has several people from the northern states. I can't speak to how active they are or if they have any interest in attending events. Perhaps we're due for a new member bio page. I would do it myself, but I don't seem to have admin powers.
I've already requested that you, Raymond and Josh be added as new officers and moderators. You should have admin abilities once the changes are made.
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

I'm thinking of doing a salamandering trip in western NC, personally, in March. I'm in northern Mississippi, so I don't know how many I'd personally be able to participate in.
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

If I were going to attend a field trip, ANF would be my preference, and I usually take a vacation in April or May.
Adam Cooner

Post by Adam Cooner »

Another more northerly (though just Northeast Alabama) member chiming in: I'm game for ANF, though I'm not sure whether work will let me actually go or not . . .
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

The De Soto NF in Mississippi is my other suggestion, although it might not be as convenient a location for some of the other members. ANF is still my first choice.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

It is entirely possible to have more than one SE NAFHA outing. So perhaps both, or even more, could be done. IMO, its whatever this chapter want to do. Off the top of my head, we could have a kids day, a senior day, a herps for charity event where people pledge money per vouchered herp or something, with a pledge rate table and everything. There are all kinds of things. The sky is the limit. I'll do my best to help organize as needed, even if I cannot personally attend. I can call campgrounds, make reservations, etc.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

So it looks like a vast majority of suggestions for ANF, though there were a few for central Georgia as well.

For Central GA; I think on the one hand it would be fun and there are a couple of counties completely lacking in HERP records, but my concern would be with such a large group and the fact that Georgia restricts possession of non-venomous snakes, that would be prohibitive for detaining stuff to photograph later. Maybe someone from Georgia can inform us on how easy/not it is to get permits to possess nonvenomous. My thoughts are getting permits to detain for photography in some of the areas around ANF would be a lot easier.

April sounds good for a time frame: I'd lean towards the end of April, so we're not leaving having warm weather up to chance so much.

Also, my hometown herp Society, the South Florida Herp Society, is having a camping trip in ENP the first weekend in April - anyone who'd like to join is welcome.

JDH
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Josh Holbrook wrote:Maybe someone from Georgia can inform us on how easy/not it is to get permits to possess nonvenomous. JDH
Josh, I can look in on that tomorrow at work. We would not need the permits for Wildlife Exhibition, since no one is keeping anything. The only thing that we may need would be the Scientific Collecting permit.

I'll send you an email later today with some questions.
--Berkeley