Weird Parasite on Horned Lizard?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chris_mcmartin

Weird Parasite on Horned Lizard?

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Anyone seen something like this on a Phrynosoma (or any other lizard, for that matter)? Trying to figure out what it might be. If it's a parasite, it's something I haven't encountered in the literature (granted, I don't have access to a wide range of journals).

Nematode of some sort? Or could it be something other than a parasite?

Roundtail horned lizard, Big Bend area of TX.

TravisK

Re: Weird Parasite on Horned Lizard?

Post by TravisK »

http://www.chameleonnews.com/02MayGreek.html Maybe it was exposed nematodes?

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

It does look in the pic like a subcutaneous nematode that got too big for its britches, Chris!
I've seen them in snakes, still under the skin.

On a similar note, check out a find by our "Rich in Reptiles" in the SE involving trematode cysts.
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 11&t=17820

Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

BillMcGighan wrote:It does look in the pic like a subcutaneous nematode
+1. I've seen animals scratch at the encysted bastards under their skin before, too. Either way, it's a nematode. Gross...

-Cole

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Thanks for the replies thus far...I hadn't thought about subcutaneous worms going all Alien on this poor girl. I'll be including this in a short note in the SWCHR Bulletin.

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

I once spotted a nematode coming out from the eye of a Banded Gecko. Examination of the geckos organs showed it was filled with them. I would bet that horned lizard is full of them too.

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Fieldnotes wrote:I once spotted a nematode coming out from the eye of a Banded Gecko. Examination of the geckos organs showed it was filled with them. I would bet that horned lizard is full of them too.

If it's still alive... :? This observation was back in June.

I'm presuming you saw the gecko in the wild vs. a captive specimen. Can you PM me with details of your observation (approx. date/time, county/state, species, etc) for possible incorporation in my note (as an example of other nematodes in wild SW US lizards)?

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

The gecko was collected from the wild, then died in captivity likely due to the worms. This was in the 1980's so I have few details. The gecko was found in the Barstow area and in captivity I noticed the worm coming out of the eye. I removed the worm by simply pulling on it. The gecko soon died and i opened it up to see lots of worms throughout its guts. I do remember the gecko not eating and becoming really thin before the worm came out. I presumed due to a lack of nutrition for the worm it was making its way out of the lizard. I was young, so thats about all the info i recall.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Nothin weird about that, one of the oldest and most widespread transactions there is. SubQ appearances seem almost as common as nematodes passed in stool but there are migrating situ that can be invisible butlers of doom.
The thru the eye out guy reminds me of the Sudden Paralysis girl (and I mean Sudden) who when necropsied showed no spontaneous fracture ala mbd, or trauma of injury but, a nematode occupying her brain cavity.
I remember it was at that time I made a decided effort to wash my hands before I ate Doritos etc at work.

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Kelly Mc wrote:Nothin weird about that, one of the oldest and most widespread transactions there is. SubQ appearances seem almost as common as nematodes passed in stool but there are migrating situ that can be invisible butlers of doom.
Well, if there's one thing we all can agree on, "Invisible Butlers of Doom" would be a great name for a rock band.

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

KM
"Invisible Butlers of Doom"
OK, that's the best.

or

something seen on the zombie version of Downton Abbey. :roll:

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

:) I had a dream last night with apocalyptic zombies in it but I think its just because of the holidays

klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Kelly Mc wrote::) I had a dream last night with apocalyptic zombies in it but I think its just because of the holidays
Weird. I had a dream last night about seeing all these people on the street with pink, yellow, green and blue hair. Very punky.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Put our dreams together and Bing there you have Haight st over here. I would harbor benign indifference to them but I don't like the way they have dogs or even cats with leashes even scraps of rope, and they are often uncared for, props for panhandling $ for their vices. The city turns a blind eye. :x

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Kelly Mc wrote:The city turns a blind eye.
...perhaps because it has a nematode in it?

Just trying to re-rail the thread. 8-)

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Nematodes have jarring charisma.

More are bound to come, with or without control.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Double post correction

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

The NEW ENGLAND MUSEUM ASSOCIATION has determined than any US specimens of Fowler's Toad (Bufo [Anaxyrus] fowleri) can be donated for vouchers, thus giving a positive stroke to NEMA-toads. :roll:

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Chris maybe put word out to examine fresh DORs more close for your SW documenting. Most everyone carries a pocket knife. An appeal to the curious, helpful and willing

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Kelly Mc wrote:Chris maybe put word out to examine fresh DORs more close for your SW documenting. Most everyone carries a pocket knife. An appeal to the curious, helpful and willing
Illegal to do so in TX, without a scientific collecting permit... :?

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

You can't look at them on the spot ? Or touch the body?

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I was just thinking how problematic that would be to explain to a ranger. :?

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Kelly Mc wrote:You can't look at them on the spot ? Or touch the body?
You cannot "take" a herp, living or dead, off the roadway (to include the improved shoulder) in TX. "Take" includes touching, and even pursuing. This past year I was added to a special permit to salvage DORs, just for the year, and I was able to contribute quite a few specimens to the Texas Natural History Collection at UT.

This horny toad was alive, but if we'd have inadvertently run over it, we could've salvaged it.

Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

chris_mcmartin wrote:
You cannot "take" a herp, living or dead, off the roadway (to include the improved shoulder) in TX. "Take" includes touching, and even pursuing. This past year I was added to a special permit to salvage DORs, just for the year, and I was able to contribute quite a few specimens to the Texas Natural History Collection at UT.

This horny toad was alive, but if we'd have inadvertently run over it, we could've salvaged it.
Sorry, but not related to the nematode, but in regards to Texas-

Is road cruising illegal, due to the law of a "take" of herps on roadways?

condyle

Post by condyle »

I saw one on a chuck in Borrego in the 70s.

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Zach_Lim wrote:
chris_mcmartin wrote:

Sorry, but not related to the nematode, but in regards to Texas-

Is road cruising illegal, due to the law of a "take" of herps on roadways?

Why, are you taking a survey where that question is being asked? ;)

That is actually a difficult question to answer, as it sometimes depends on who you ask--TPWD biologists? Game Wardens? Sheriffs? Yet another reason we need to restore the law to the way it was pre-2008.

condyle wrote:I saw one on a chuck in Borrego in the 70s.
Can you PM me with any details you may have? County (San Diego?), approx. date/time/season, etc. (and your non-screen name) and I can incorporate it into my writeup.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I wonder about the vector and life cycles of nematodes that infest "dry" terrestrial organisms in the SW. In my travels inspired by this thread I ran across broad yet exciting overviews, so vast the world of nematodes is, its like a world in itself. Of particular fascination is identifying features in morphology that would seem possible with the aid of a field microscope or macro camera lens. The vectors also, are like succession of characters in Greek myth or organized crime.