Indigo hunts in Conecuh 2014

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jim Godwin

Indigo hunts in Conecuh 2014

Post by Jim Godwin »

The time to hunt indigos in Conecuh National Forest is approaching. I've discussed this with Jimmy Stiles and we've pulled together a selection of dates, all weekends, for January and February. Unfortunately the winter activity period of indigos overlaps that of deer season, but in Conecuh there are periods when gun hunts are not allowed. The weekends we've picked avoid the gun hunts.

Here they are:
January 3-5
January 10-12
February 21-23
February 28 - March 2

This year we need to be more organized in how we do it and Jimmy and I will set that up.

We will be after any snakes we can catch to record identification (all releases have been PIT tagged), length, weight, if a female does she appear gravid, general health.

Please reply in this thread if you are interested. Later we can try to get a head count for each weekend. Whether we catch any indigos or not it will be something to remember. The dead of winter in south Alabama is usually 50-60 degree days, winter breeding amphibians, and often some reptile activity :mrgreen: .
Coluber Constrictor

Re: Indigo hunts in Conecuh 2014

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

I'll probably be there at one of the Feb-March dates.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Add one more possible weekend 14-16 February.
dery

Post by dery »

I'll attend atleast one. Not sure which date(s).
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

Can't do jan 10 wknd, but will try to make some of the others.
Chris
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

What's the closest big airport?
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

Mobile, Pensacola,or Montgomery
Joseph Jenkins

Post by Joseph Jenkins »

Of course I'll be there for at least half of those. Any excuse to go down to Conecuh works for me!
Matt S.

Post by Matt S. »

I will make at least two, the first in January and probably the second in February.
Ecto Hunter

Post by Ecto Hunter »

I will try to make it at least one weekend.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I'll be there for at least one. Probably more than one. February.
Adam Cooner

Post by Adam Cooner »

I'd like to make at least 1 or 2 of the February-March weekends.
Matt Arnold

Post by Matt Arnold »

Someone bring me. Pls
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

I've been thinking of a trip south in January, and the 10-12 would be perfect for me.
Barry R

Post by Barry R »

I'll try for the last date in Feb/early March.
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

I will be there for the Jan 3-5 weekend Jim.
Chris
Tamara D. McConnell

I'll be there for the Jan 3-5 weekend also.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Thread bump.

Jimmy Stiles will be coordinating the snake hunts. Contact Jimmy at [email protected] if you are planning on attending any of the weekends. I can also answer questions here if you have any.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Snake hunt for this upcoming weekend has been cancelled. Jimmy has the flu.
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

I'll be making it over that way in February.
Joseph Jenkins

Post by Joseph Jenkins »

If the January 10-12 date is still on, I'll be there.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Joseph Jenkins wrote:If the January 10-12 date is still on, I'll be there.
It should be but check with Jimmy.

Weather forecast is for a high of ca. 68 (good for snakes esp. after these cold days) but rainy (not so good for snakes). Amphibians should be active.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

As always, good luck, folks.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Talked with Jimmy and the snake hunt is still on for this weekend.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

OK, I bought a plane ticket and will be with Joseph Jenkins for the Feb 28-Mar 2 weekend. I am looking forward to herping a new part of the country, and the prospect of seeing such an amazing snake (one that has been a favorite since childhood) makes the excitement that much more intense.
dery

Post by dery »

I'll also be at the feb-mar trip.
Tamara D. McConnell

OK, I bought a plane ticket and will be with Joseph Jenkins for the Feb 28-Mar 2 weekend. I am looking forward to herping a new part of the country, and the prospect of seeing such an amazing snake (one that has been a favorite since childhood) makes the excitement that much more intense.
Wonderful! Andy, I am looking forward to meeting you.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Don't get your hopes up, I don't want to disappoint you, lol. I do always enjoy meeting new people when I am in new parts of the world. I also love food from the South, and look forward to trying some local IPAs. Hopefully I can find some Snake Handler, I don't know how common it is there, but it is brewed in Alabama, and I need a bottle or can to add to my IPA collection.
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

We'll be there that weekend as well. It'll be great seeing everybody again, including you Andy. Always great to see you and pick up a few more herpers on the way there.

Daniel
dery

Post by dery »

AndyO'Connor wrote:Don't get your hopes up, I don't want to disappoint you, lol. I do always enjoy meeting new people when I am in new parts of the world. I also love food from the South, and look forward to trying some local IPAs. Hopefully I can find some Snake Handler, I don't know how common it is there, but it is brewed in Alabama, and I need a bottle or can to add to my IPA collection.
Andy, Birmingham is on on our way. And I usually stop in Nearby hoover when i'm passing by to build my numistmatic collection. I'll see what I can do.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

That would be awesome, if it's not widely distributed and I don't have a chance at finding at at a big grocery store.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

my numistmatic collection
I just heard that word for the first time yesterday. Now, the next day, there it is again. Whoa!

Have fun in Conecuh, guys. Are they still releasing indigos there?

Cheers,
Jimi
Tamara D. McConnell

I'll be at the Feb 28-Mar 2 hunt.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Jimi wrote:
my numistmatic collection
I just heard that word for the first time yesterday. Now, the next day, there it is again. Whoa!

Have fun in Conecuh, guys. Are they still releasing indigos there?

Cheers,
Jimi
Yes we will be. Snakes have been released the past 4 years with releases anticipated over the next 6 years. Two MS degrees have been completed through this project and the results indicate that the released snakes are doing well regarding habitat use, achieving maturity, prey capture, home range overlap between sexes. In each of the past three years we've had at least one example of reproduction.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Thanks Jim, that's great to hear. Particularly that they will be released over an extended period. My sense is that a number of repatriation/reintroduction projects (diverse taxa, not just herps) have ended prematurely, thus had poor outcomes, and those results have caused undue bad attitudes among agency staff. Seen it first-hand a few times, it's pretty frustrating ("What - you thought it would be that easy?!?!"). So I'm elated to hear you all aren't holding back. And are monitoring closely, & presumably adapting as needed.

I take it you all pursued & got a 10j on that population? Hard to imagine your legislature & county commissions going along with the project otherwise.

cheers,
Jimi
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Jimi wrote:Thanks Jim, that's great to hear. Particularly that they will be released over an extended period. My sense is that a number of repatriation/reintroduction projects (diverse taxa, not just herps) have ended prematurely, thus had poor outcomes, and those results have caused undue bad attitudes among agency staff. Seen it first-hand a few times, it's pretty frustrating ("What - you thought it would be that easy?!?!"). So I'm elated to hear you all aren't holding back. And are monitoring closely, & presumably adapting as needed.

I take it you all pursued & got a 10j on that population? Hard to imagine your legislature & county commissions going along with the project otherwise.

cheers,
Jimi
Too much info coming out of this project to post here so just some highlights. We've learned from reintro attempts that took place in the '70-'80s in which too few snakes were released in multiple sites. We've flipped that around and are using only one site with releases over multiple years, our goal is 10 years. We've tested and used hard and soft release techniques. Support for this project has been phenomenal. We (Auburn University), from the outset, have been working closely with the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and The Orianne Society. The impetus for this work actually originated within ADCNR. Forest service staff at Conecuh have been extremely helpful, as well at the state level. Reintroducing the indigo fits perfectly with the USFS efforts with longleaf restoration. The longleaf pine ecosystem will not be complete if the niche of top predator occupied by the indigo is vacant. Other partners and collaborators include Georgia DNR, Zoo Atlanta, USFWS, Ft. Stewart.

State Wildlife Grant funding has been critical to our success up to this point. Even so state and federal funds would have been insufficient without contributions from TOS. Federal funds (and state funds are often simply federal funds routed through the state) will never be adequate to fully support a reintroduction/conservation effort such as this. Just too many species in need and too few $$.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Talked to Jimmy this morning. The weather improved Saturday afternoon and he spent some time in the woods then and on Sunday. No indigos but he did encounter a 4+ foot eastern diamondback. Next trips planned are later in February so let's hope the weather cooperates.
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

Thanks for the update Jim, at least something was active.
Chris
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Update.

The mid-February weekend has been cancelled.

Indigo surveys are still planned for the latter two weekends in February, these being Feb 21-23 and Feb 28-Mar 2. From what I've been told a good number of people are planning on attending on these two weekends. The weather will be warmer then and the snakes crawling so join us if you can.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Yes, I've already purchased a plane ticket for the end of February to March dates, are there ANY chances it could be cancelled as well? I sure hope not, I am really looking forward to meeting more new faces.
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

Thats too bad Jim, was planning on making that one. Thanks for update.
Chris
Joseph Jenkins

Post by Joseph Jenkins »

I will definitely attend both of those weekends.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Darkhorse wrote:Thats too bad Jim, was planning on making that one. Thanks for update.
Chris
This cancellation of this mid-February weekend came up in just the last few days. I got the word out as soon as I heard.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

AndyO'Connor wrote:Yes, I've already purchased a plane ticket for the end of February to March dates, are there ANY chances it could be cancelled as well? I sure hope not, I am really looking forward to meeting more new faces.
This weekend will definitely be a go.
page whatley

Post by page whatley »

Any feb trip is good for me, really want to make it this year. Just need details. Thanks
dery

Post by dery »

Page, we usually meet up with Styles and/or Godwin at the forest service center. I forgot the name. One of them will know the name. Nearest town is Wing, AL.
Tamara D. McConnell

I tried to get a room at the Solon Dixon Center for March 1. They say it will not be open. Is this a true fact?
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:I tried to get a room at the Solon Dixon Center for March 1. They say it will not be open. Is this a true fact?
I'll check into it, which means I'll call Jimmy and have him find out.

I'll let you know as soon as I can.
Tamara D. McConnell

Thanks, Jim.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

More details.

Lodging at the Dixon Center will be available both weekends for anyone who wants to stay at the center. The cost will be $35 per night. Contact Jimmy Stiles at [email protected] or 205 533-1407 to make arrangements.

As in the previous years we will meet at the pavilion at Open Pond Saturday mornings (22 Feb, 1 Mar) at 0900 (9 am). Open Pond is a USFS campground and recreational area. To reach it turn east off AL 137 onto Covington Co. 24. Within a mile or so the road to Open Pond turns south, and there should be brown signs with white lettering giving direction to Open Pond. Go past the workcenter and turn right on the next road. At the next intersection the campground is to the right, take a left for the pavilion. GPS coordinates for the pavilion 31.09153, -86.54539.

Jimmy Stiles will be coordinating the searches. Look him up when you get there, can't miss him, long hair in a ponytail, long beard, and wearing a hat.