Everglades herping tips

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kwross

Everglades herping tips

Post by kwross »

Hi I am gonna be up in the lower Miami Dade area this weekend cruising some roads with some friends .And I wanted to know what herps to expect and what type of frogs? :?
And I can not wait to go I always have a blast!!

Please reply on what to expect.
snakehunter

Re: Everglades herping tips

Post by snakehunter »

Well it depends were your going but some snakes that i always find are water snakes, garter snakes, ribbon snakes, corn/rat snake, cottonmouths and I'm not sure about the frogs maybe someone else could chime in
hope I could help
Carl D. May

Post by Carl D. May »

Now is the time to wade/hike for chicken turtles. Mid morning seems to be the best time.
On warm mornings you might find diamondback rattlers and kingsnakes out on the roads. I've found both live and DOR of these species in December.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

On a nice night, you can get just about anything in the park that you can find any other time of year. Frogs will mostly be limited to Cuban treefrogs, though there are others out there (pig frogs, leopard frogs, squirrel treefrogs, etc.).

If you get a nice, cold morning, it's worth a walk in sunny areas.
Matt Arnold

Post by Matt Arnold »

I'd recommend finding a decent trail and just hiking, you'll find a lot of stuff just by doing that this time of year. I found corns, kings, garters, ribbons, pythons, pygmies, cottons, water snakes, gators, and more just doing this. And road cruise at sunset, or if youre looking for EDBs cruise during the day. Mid morning or late afternoon.