End of the Year 2013... #11 - SNAKES (Non-venomous)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

brick911

End of the Year 2013... #11 - SNAKES (Non-venomous)

Post by brick911 »

Hey guys,

I have a list of different threads I'm gonna start, spreading them out every few days. Each one will have a different theme. I would appreciate if you'd follow the rules (more like guidelines) just to keep it fun. eg. Ya know how people put up "Post your favorite picture of the year" threads, and people HAVE to put up like three pictures. Let's pay attention and try to stick to the rules. As winter creeps in, I will keep starting new threads and we can have fun with this while we look out the window at the leafless trees with tears in our eyes. If you have any ideas, feel free to PM me. Of course, I don't care if you start your own "themed" thread, but I was taking it upon myself to plan out these threads over the next few weeks as I have seen the forum die off along with the herping. *Don't let these "End of the Year" threads have any effect on any end of the year summary posts y'all were planning on doing. These will all have specific themes. I'm also hoping this will bring some of the non-posters out of the woodwork to share a photo or two. (You know who you are.). It's an opportunity to just share photos with peers, despite our herping/conservational differences. I don't mean to call you guys out and mean no offense. Just think about sharing here and there if you can with sound mind. I look forward to everyone's posts. Let's make this fun because its getting boring outside!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme 11: SNAKES (Non-venomous)

1. Go back through your finds over the year and review your snakes.

2. Post your favorite three snake shots. This is up to you how you would like to do it. It can be three of the same snake, or one each of three different garters (If you are Roy). Let your year's experience determine how you post.

3. Give some kind of explanation as to why you chose what you chose... eg. This was a milksnake hanging off of a cow's udder, or this was a juvenile king that showed some red, or after I chopped this ratsnake in half with the shovel it wiggled for 3 minutes!

4. If you only have one pic that you deem worthwhile, then please feel free... The max is three. There is no minimum.

Snake-time:
incuhead2000

Re: End of the Year 2013... #11 - SNAKES (Non-venomous)

Post by incuhead2000 »

Florida Scarlet Snake: Why I chose it: Super exciting to find this one under the same stone right next to another scarlet snake. A lifer and two at once!

Eastern Hognose: Why I chose it: Two years and running I have encountered this snake...hoping for three years in a row next year!

Black Ratsnake: Why I chose it: I will forever and always love baby ratsnakes.

davhug1

Post by davhug1 »

ImageImageImage MY favorite non-venomous snake is by far the black rat snake, these three were the three largest i found this year, i let them be, but my guess is all three are over six feet or very close to it. Just a marvelous snake in my eyes.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Opheodrys aestivus - I really like how this photo came out.

Sistrurus miliarius - This might be my technically best photo of the year...at least for snakes.

Drymarchon couperi - Its an big Indigo! A 30th birthday Indigo, awesome day well spent.
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

This was my first rough green from my home state, and I randomly found it crossing a trail when I wasn't really herping.
Rough Green Snake (Opheodrys aestivus) by Zach Truelock, on Flickr

For whatever reason, queen snakes gave me trouble until this year. Then one hot day in June, I lipped and adult and seconds later I saw this juvenile swimming in the shallows.
Queen Snake (Regina septemvittata) by Zach Truelock, on Flickr

You guys have seen this snake before...needless to say it was awesome to see these colors under a board early one cool May morning.
Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum) by Zach Truelock, on Flickr
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

These were tough to choose but here are 3 cool ones from the year.

This was from Nevada and was a lifer for me and a snake I didn't consider finding at the time. This was actually the second one and was the cooler looking of the two. Variable Ground Snake, Clark County NV

I have to add a Cali King but this one was actually from Nevada also because I like the desert kings the best. This one was just pure black and white and was my fave of the year. Cali King, Clark County NV

On a lucky day in May I had one hell of a short span road cruise in Riverside, County. It was snake after snake. This night I finally nailed down that Rosy Boa that eluded me. Unfortunately, my Rosy Boa hungry girlfriend wasn't with me and none of my pics came out good. But anyway, it was the only living boa of the year for me. Rosy Boa, Riverside County, CA
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Pantherophis alleghaniensis
NC

Storeria dekayi
before

after
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

Pine Snake

An incredibly cooperative Red-bellied Snake

Corn Snake
SAGlines

Post by SAGlines »

Great snakes everyone!

I chose this Eastern hognose snake (Heterodon platirhinos) because it was a lifer for me. I flipped it in Luzerne County, PA.

This next Hognose was my first in my home state (Massachusetts). It was on a day that I had virtually no luck until I found this out basking. Day redeemed!!

I really like the color of this milk snake.
Jared Cain

Post by Jared Cain »

This Eastern Wormsnake was a lifer for me and DCooper.
023 by Cain304, on Flickr

This beefy Smooth Earthsnake was found on the same day. I just love these little snakes!
051 by Cain304, on Flickr

The first time I can definitely say Ive seen a Queen Snake. Im sure I saw them as a kid because I grew up along the creek in that area but of course any snake in or near the water was a water snake :lol:
079 by Cain304, on Flickr