Moderator: Scott Waters

MattSullivan

Re: Halloween Hognose

Post by MattSullivan »

gorgeous snake. my favorite but ive yet to find one
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Very, very interesting. Is that the 'Albany pine-scrub' that I have heard of? Hognoses seem to be dying off in southern Louisiana. In the early 1940s, George Mead referred to them as 'extremely common' in places that they now are gone. One-per-year is now a rare blessing. Hognoses are now on our Species of Concern list, so that funding can be had from the State Wildlife Action Plan. Hopefully, we can develop a project like yours!!

Halloween down here -- rainstorms in upper 70s, air conditioner on, Med. geckos and squirrel tree frogs all over the porch.

Jeff
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Great entry and work John.

Curios to know how many hognose you have found in your study area thus far, and the size of the study area.

Jeff- Thats a bummer, is there any known reasons why?

Fundad
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

No idea. Old-timers say they were common into the early 70s. I got here 20 years later.

Jeff
beemaster

Post by beemaster »

Jeff wrote:
No idea. Old-timers say they were common into the early 70s. I got here 20 years later.

Jeff
Same thing here in SE Mass. All the old timers say that eastern hogs (and smooth greens) were fairly common around here well into the 70's. Both have declined quite noticeably and I've yet to find either one. That being said, I do know about a half dozen spots within 30 miles where the hogs haven't quite lost their foothold. I just haven't really put the time in on those specific spots.