NAFHA National Meeting 2014

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

TimCO

NAFHA National Meeting 2014

Post by TimCO »

Congrats RM chapter! We will be hosting the 2014 NAFHA National Meeting! Please reply to this thread with your suggestions of where it should be held.

Tim
Judson

Re: NAFHA National Meeting 2014

Post by Judson »

SW New Mexico Silver City area with Peloncillos south and Gila NF north. -I
ErikNM

Post by ErikNM »

The Gila National Forest. Either around Silver City or the Black Range. Tons of free camping, tons of habitat, lots of elevation and habitat change in relatively short distances with a lot of variety of herp species. Black Range is a couple hours drive from El Paso or Albuquerque for people flying in.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Is there any other conversations on this meeting? Some of us are really excited about some potentially new herping destinations. I know Mack and I already made plans to herp AZ, NM, and TX if the meeting is in NM. There are a lot of details to bang out besides location, like time of year, targets, etc.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Tim - got any more info to share? E.g., is the timing going to be determined by the location, or the location by the timing?

Is this to be mainly a "pure fun" theme, or is there a "conservation service" or a "NAFHA community-building" or other theme also being served?

I think providing some info along these lines will generate some more ideas. But I'll toss out some to keep the ball rolling.

If you want to build bridges among Chapters I'd suggest something like S Nevada in April/May, or the boot heel or Gila country in August/September, or NW Nevada in May/June.
If you want to get this chapter's 2 main population centers more familiar with each other I'd suggest something near I-70 and the UT/CO border, in spring.
If you want to be more welcoming to our farther-flung members, and rack up some records in our hinterlands, why not SW Montana?
If you want to do some service, find a pile of no- or low-records counties. Or pick some targets that are kind of hard but need some records. Many-lined skinks, green snakes, and Great Plains toads around the 4 corners come to mind.

That help?

Cheers,
Jimi
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

After weighing all of the factors, we've selected Rodeo New Mexico for the 2014 NAFHA National Meeting. The Chiricahua Desert Museum has generously agreed to host us, with a free meeting area with wifi, free admission to the museum and a social/BBQ. Labor Day weekend 2014. Mark your calendars now.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Sweet! I've already got the vacation approved for the whole week leading up to that weekend. Can't wait to see everyone and herp a new part of the country. September is so far away!
ThomWild

Post by ThomWild »

I am planning on making the trip. If anyone wants to make a group trip of it and possibly hit some places on the way down let me know.

Tim when will we have a better idea of the actual times of the festivities. I am just trying to get an idea so I can make plans for the travel days as well as the herring days.

-Thomas Wilder
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I'm down for that.

Thomas, what's herring days? Sounds like some weird Norwegian thing...oh, you mean herping, ha ha.

Others? I could drive the 4-runner. Better back-country access than a sedan or minivan. And some along-the-way herring sounds good. Kippers...

cheers,
Jimi
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

ThomWild wrote:I am planning on making the trip. If anyone wants to make a group trip of it and possibly hit some places on the way down let me know.

-Thomas Wilder
Jimi wrote:I'm down for that.

Others? I could drive the 4-runner. Better back-country access than a sedan or minivan. And some along-the-way herring sounds good. Kippers...

cheers,
Jimi

I am interested in going. It is still a long ways out so I can't guarantee anything right now. I would definitely be more likely to attend if we could get a group to split gas and cut down on that expense a little.

-Rye
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Carpooling is the way to go on this trip. It makes the herping better too. Feel free to PM me with questions, or post them on the thread.
ThomWild

Post by ThomWild »

Jimi wrote:I'm down for that.

Thomas, what's herring days? Sounds like some weird Norwegian thing...oh, you mean herping, ha ha.

cheers,
Jimi
Blast my Fat fingers! I feel discriminated against every time I try to use the touch screen of a smartphone. It is even worse when I have to bust out my neon blue "My fingers are too fat to get this phone to work" stylus. I feel like Hester from the Scarlet Letter when I have to get that thing out!

Would those more wise than myself (everyone) recommend the I-10 or the 191 ( or something else I may be missing) for a trip as this one?

-Thomas
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

ThomWild wrote:herring days.

-Thomas Wilder
Are you trying to chop down a tree?

Josh
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Love the Python clips, Josh.

Thomas - no shame in the stylus, ha ha.

Rye - glad to have you if you can make it. Yep, sharing the costs & driving helps. It's quite a haul down there.

All - I run down there every year and there's no paved route I haven't taken. And not many untaken gravel routes either. None suck for scenery, although some are God-awful slow (hello Greenlee County, ha ha). However the most-direct routes only vary by an hour or two in total duration. If we can swing the time, and depending on target taxa along the way, I suggest a loop, down I-15 a ways and through AZ (probably through Flag), and back up & across SW NM onto (somewhere...via Pie Town?) US 191 & US 6, or vice-versa. Specific routes might be influenced by riders' propensity for car-sickness...some routes are just full of curves.

cheers,
Jimi
Bob McKeever

Post by Bob McKeever »

I'm planning on attending also. Leaving from southern Nevada with room for a few riders if any are interested. I have a couple of spots I hit en route pretty regularly but am open to others needs.
Bob