Copper-Gold King Cobra and Thailand's Deadliest!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Ruxs

Copper-Gold King Cobra and Thailand's Deadliest!

Post by Ruxs »

This post was supposed to come a good few weeks ago but as I was settling back into English routine and classes, this post slipped to the back of my mind. I took a shot at writing it about two weeks ago, but I wasn't in the mood required for a lengthy session of storytelling. However, this time, after browsing through my photos for the last hour, I'm pretty sure I've got the motivation to nail my Thailand 2013 Grand Finale.

I hate to be one for sensationalising snakes and, indeed, all my friends know I would appreciate a 3 inch Calamaria as much as a 3 meter King Cobra, but to be honest, snakes as impressive as the ones in this post need me to do them justice with attention and it feels right that the final post should be the most 'sensational', if you may.

This will not be in chronological order, but going from the least to most impressive in my opinion.

Malayan Pit-Viper (Calloselasma rhodostoma):
I was originally not going to include this snake due to it being literally the most seen snake all year (70+) but I can't call this 'Thailand's Deadliest' without showcasing the snake responsible for the most deaths in the entire region. Also, Calloselasma will always have a special place in my heart due to it being one of the first snakes I found in Thailand and my observation of their fascinating and incredibly variable behaviour.

On my second to last night in Thailand, I took the closest friends I made throughout my time there out on a herp to my most reliable location and we found several Calloselasma, as well as an Ahaetulla mycterizans.Image

The photos from that night capture a lot of treasured memories.

Specimen from the original Calloselasma-hub: Nai PlaoImage

The most beautiful specimen I ever found; just on the outskirts of town. Image

How they're most commonly found:Image

When walking, they're usually found on the edge of pools where they ambush frogs. Can you seen the one tucked up in-situ here?Image

Monocled Cobra (Naja Kauthia):
For this snake, you need to feel the tropical sun beating down on you at 3pm, but also the relief from a cool breeze blowing through the canyon where Phanom Bencha Mountain Resort is situated.Image
Now picture yourself walking up a narrow concrete path running along a series of pools formed by artificial damming, then seeing a small black snake crossing the path ahead of you, which, upon approach, turns around and spreads the hood which every herper dreams of seeing.Image

This was one snake I had seen surprisingly little of during my year in Thailand, and the ones I did see either escaped and were too docile to hood up at all. It was great to finally get a feisty one which could get me those pics I'd been fantasising about for months.Image

This snake is arguably deadlier than our friendly neighbourhood Calloselasma, as the bite-to-death ratio is far higher. However, from what I've witnessed, the kauthia have quiet a timid nature and will always flee when approached, unlike the aforementioned Viper, which relies on camouflage to go undetected, therefore getting trod on a lot.

In-habitat:Image

Malayan Krait (Bungarus candidus):
If you judge what's deadliest by toxicity, this will probably be number one for you, as it's literally the most venomous snake in Thailand. I found several from february onwards, as well as one on the night of the same day I found the above Naja kauthia. It was a very large one and I took some close up shots:Image

This species is very abundant at the resort and we're convinced they're gobbling up all the other terrestrial snakes around there, being ophiophagus in nature. Image

I also found a very perplexing one in Trang province; It's a Bungarus candidus, but was found crossing a road cutting through an estuary mangrove swamp - completely out of habitat for this species! Usually the amazing Bungarus fasciatus is abundant in the swamps, so isn't it just typical that I go looking for that species in perfect habitat and find another Bungarus candidus!Image
My guess would be that since it's a juvie, it was recently born in the fairly nearby agricultural land and dispersed to find a new area, ending up in the swamp where I found and released it.

Red-Headed Krait (Bungarus flaviceps):
Just when I thought the Malaysian encounter with this species would be my highlight of the year, this happens...

Well, first, Vern (my fellow Southern Thailand herping buddy) finally made it down to Trang, with the intention of going to one of our Toyota garages to tweak his car - at least that's what he told his wife. I knew that why he was really here was to get us out on a long herp to Khao Chong, the location that I had been telling him all about. After a couple pizzas in town, we jumped in his car, drove for 30 minutes, and entered the rainforest.

Vern hadn't herped in some primary lowland rainforest for a while and I had to sit down on the stream bank while he photographed all the different lizards, geckos and insects along the first 20 meters of the trail. Unfortunately, it got less pleasant the deeper into the jungle we went without finding any snakes. By 11:00pm, it had got really sweaty. Rain earlier in the day meant the forest floor was literally writhing with swathes of leaches and, even worse, termites. The moon was also full and uncovered that night which usually meant little in the way of snakes. Defeated and with dying torches, we retreated back up the trail. Thats when I saw it, stretched out on the opening where our small trail connected with another. The size threw me off more than the shock of seeing another of one of the most sought after snakes in the region! Anyway, I'll stop talking and let you enjoy.Image

This could literally have been a size record for the species. It was so healthy and vibrant that we were completely overwhelmed, unable to say much other than "Oh my god" and "What the f*ck?" for the first five minutes of handling, which wasn't easy with such a heavy and deadly snake - with no antivenin.Image
Vern certainly admitted to this being the herping highlight of his life so far, and I can also concur with that statement. Leaches and termites didn't affect me anymore, nothing could be more shocking than this monster of a serpent!

For those that don't know, this species is incredibly hard to photograph and we were there for almost another two hours for a photography session, getting home proud at about 3am. Vern said I'd better be happy with my shots...Image

I don't really mind leaches, this one certainly made for a great photo!Image

What. a. night.

King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah):
Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for, I want you to imagine the faint whine of a dozen Tiger Mosquitos as they flock from the shade of the rubber trees to your flesh. I would also like you to imagine the adrenaline rush of being in the presence of such a magnificent creature, but I unfortunately don't think that's possible. I knew I had to encounter a King Cobra at some point this year, but I had no idea I would get so lucky as to get a true Southern Thailand specimen with those cream bars on the golden-plated body, and bright yellow neck! Image

Absolutely gnarly! You could tell this snake had been through a lot due to scars and there was actually blood on it's head from some previous encounter - most probably involving some hapless Ratsnake.Image

I, along with some Thais, relocated the snake away from human habitations and roads, up the hill on some desolate rubber plantation bordering the rainforest. Handling was also an unforgettable experience. Image

I really hope you enjoyed my series of posts from this indescribably wonderful and enlightening year in my favourite place on the globe, plus massive, massive thanks to those who followed, giving advice, corrections and support throughout the time. I met some incredible people and saw some incredible places, not to mention incredible snakes, but that's all too obvious from what's featured here. I will most probably never have the chance to experience another year like this and I'm so glad I got to share my encounters with so many like-minded people. Thanks FHF! I have tons of photos I have never posted here, so maybe look out for a post combining all of those in the future. If that doesn't happen, I'll see you next year for spring Vipera and my return to this region in the summer!

Cheers,
Rupert G Lewis
Dave S

Re: Copper-Gold King Cobra and Thailand's Deadliest!

Post by Dave S »

Killer Post!!!! That Red-Headed Krait is HUGE... I had no idea they got that big!

Dave S.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

pretty freakin awesome! I didn't know that kraits of any kind got that large, that snake is amazing.
page whatley

Post by page whatley »

Great job amazing krait.
mikem

Post by mikem »

wow, that's a big krait! nice king too! looks like a great time was had :thumb:
R3dguitarist

Post by R3dguitarist »

I'm LOVING that Krait.... insane!
moloch

Post by moloch »

Fantastic! I am going to miss your frequent posts from Thailand. I just love that Krait. What a beast! You certainly did well there and found so many exciting animals.

How is the malaria situation? Sounds like you had no hassles at all. Is it now in control in Thailand?

Regards,
David
Dr. Dark

Post by Dr. Dark »

AWESOME!!!!!! You certainly found some killer specimens of some killer snakes! What a year you had indeed...must have been difficult to leave. I too will miss your Thailand posts!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Superb. A (temporary) end to one of the really great series of posts on FHF.
Well done Rupert.
Ruxs

Post by Ruxs »

To give you a better idea of the size of that B. flaviceps, it's me holding it in the picture and I stand at 6'2!
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

... all rise ... Sir Rupert .... nuff sed (other than; i guarantee your mudda wont like that shot of you handling the king ;) ... rxr
justinm

Post by justinm »

This entire expedition has to be one of the most memorable I've seen posted on this site. To be so young and have seen so much you are really on the right track. Thanks for sharing all the adventures and hijinks with such clear and beautiful pictures. This has been most enjoyable for me to read and view.

Justin
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Nice photos and great post! cheers~ :D
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

Outstanding. Wonderful images.
Now picture yourself walking up a narrow concrete path running along a series of pools formed by artificial damming, then seeing a small black snake crossing the path ahead of you, which, upon approach, turns around and spreads the hood which every herper dreams of seeing.
That comment spoke straight to me, it's something I've longed to see in the field but may never get to.
fickle-minder

Post by fickle-minder »

Grand finale! Lovely shots by the way. Glad you've ticked most (if not, all) herps off your checklist! :thumb:

Thank you for being a huge influence to me! :mrgreen:
infidel

Post by infidel »

WOW, I'm truly impressed and Truly envious!
JEDDLV

Post by JEDDLV »

Rupert, I have throughly enjoyed following your posts. Thank you so much for taking the time to share with all of us.
Brian Willey

Post by Brian Willey »

Very impressive man! I dream of the day I can find at least one of those snakes.
Roki

Post by Roki »

Awesome post! I have enjoyed all of your posts throughout the year. You have seen and done some incredible stuff. That king cobra was great to see. I have been to Thailand five times and never come across one.
Cheers,
Roki
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

chrish wrote:Superb. A (temporary) end to one of the really great series of posts on FHF.
Well done Rupert.
What he said, and all the others. This kind of rich and early experience combined with your thirst for knowledge will make for a legendary herpetologist some day!

Two questions:

- what's that green snake on the dude's arm?

- who taught you how to freehandle kings?
Ruxs

Post by Ruxs »

Thanks for the all too overwhelming response, people. I'll be back, don't worry.
Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote: Two questions:

- what's that green snake on the dude's arm?

- who taught you how to freehandle kings?
It's an Ahaetulla mycterizans

Watched some videos - although I believe it's all in your confidence
Roki wrote:That king cobra was great to see. I have been to Thailand five times and never come across one.
I've seen a couple others, but catching and handling is a whole other game.
moloch wrote:
How is the malaria situation? Sounds like you had no hassles at all. Is it now in control in Thailand?
Other than on the Burmese boarder, Malaria is very well controlled in Thailand. Dengue Fever on the other hand... Let's just say I was extremely lucky not to catch it during my time as there was some kind of epidemic happening - kept under wraps by the Thai government in order not to discourage tourism. I find it quite funny I didn't catch Dengue considering how much quality time I spent with the Tiger Mosquitos.

Cheers,
Rupert
krisbell

Post by krisbell »

Epic post Rupert - all superb animals that I am insanely jealous of. I'm sure you'll get to spend plenty more time out in that part of world - just do what I did and pretend to go to uni for 3 years in your preferred location!
Ruxs

Post by Ruxs »

Thanks Kris!

I'm sure I'll find a way to spend another year of non-stop harping out east, but for now, I'm limited to holidays.
LittleJohn

Post by LittleJohn »

That is such a beautiful snake, and large, how big do they usually get?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Hard to believe you wouldnt delete this sad, immature photo. Cringe.

The wound on the head of the King was not caused by a rat snake.

You know how it got there.