Mercer County - 2013

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

intermedius

Mercer County - 2013

Post by intermedius »

Autumn has arrived, and i've been doing a lot of Herping lately. So the salamanders were out and i tried to spend as much time to flip for as many species as i can, and managed to find three species in my county. To make a long story short, three is pretty good. Here are some pics from the last week.

Those leadbacks were all flipped at my school, in which many students were either scared or just acting like teenagers. The two lines were peculiar because they were found awfully distant from water. I also was able to practice photographing amphibians and reptiles a little more.

The slimy was a nice lifer for me (Flipped with MC Herper)

And then there was this beautiful Milk. Mercer County Milks look very weird, i wouldn't go too far to call them "Coastals" but they are absent of the "Y" and "V" mark on the upper head. I don't know if this is a minor thing but there are other color patterns that are pretty unusual.

Thanks for looking and have a good day.

Intermedius
Darnell Brister

Re: Mercer County - 2013

Post by Darnell Brister »

Nice job man! That slimy is a great find for Mercer. Nice milks too, the ones I find in the Piedmont of Mercer are always variable in color and have a full or broken collars. I've only seen one milk in the flatlands of Mercer and it looked like a regular Eastern Milk.
jspreitzer

Re: Mercer County - 2013

Post by jspreitzer »

Great finds and nice photos! Thanks for posting them!