Ninja in the Everglades (Pythons, Crocodillians, Awesome)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Dan Krull

Ninja in the Everglades (Pythons, Crocodillians, Awesome)

Post by Dan Krull »

I recently headed to South Florida and met up with my good friend Mike Rochford (The member formerly known as Fresh) and he graciously dragged me along with him to see his amazing job.

The researchers are very busy, so I must say thank you in a big way to Mike, the other researchers and the university for giving me this opportunity!

I mostly took video of my trip, so not everything is photo'd, but the video will be up and available soon.

The first day I helped Mike radio track burmese first from a plane and then on foot.

Mike in the plane:

This was my first time in a Cessna, and it was a little unnerving how small it was. The thing weaved from back to front constantly, and that, coupled with the constant diving and turning, was enough to make my head spin. The guys said I did well, as most folks puke their first time up. Phew!

I got lots of great film of the glades from above and lots of film of walking in on one of the radio tracked animals, but no pictures, so I will move on to later that night...

After filming the python walk in and getting some croc footage we began our road cruise and almost immediately turned up a lifer for me:

Kinosternon bauri
Striped Mud Turtle

I couldn't take the time to get a good shot of him, because shortly after I snapped this shot he booked at high speed off the road. Since Mikey doesn't have a turtle permit, we couldn't restrain him, even for a photo.

Mike actually road cruises the park as part of his job, and he takes data on every snake he finds. We began our drive at the park entrance, but first mike took barometer and thermometer readings at the info center. I practiced a little voyeurism while he did his work.

Anolis sagrei Copulating

That's why there's so darn many of these things!

On our way out of the parking lot Mikey spotted this adult Opheodrys aestivus:
Not happy about Mike approaching:
Not happy about me photoing:
And captured:
Released:

The sun went down and we found the usual list of Everglades beasts. Southern Toads, Southern Leopard Frogs, Cuban Tree Frogs, green tree frogs, but we only stopped for snakes.

Cottonmouths were relatively abundant:

Every time we stopped Mike had to measure and weigh each snake, and I was a little antsy. I kept thinking that something awesome might be crossing the road right now while you're messing around.
I soon found my center and calmed down when Mike yelled," PYTHON!!!"

We stopped suddenly, and I jumped out. I hadn't gotten a good look at the snake, but it was on the driver's side and was sitting with its tail in the grass and its body stretched out on the road. When I got a good look at it I said," Mikey, it's not a python!!" As cool as burms are, they don't hold a candle to a big diamondback.

Crotalus adamanteus Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
Peek a boo!

Our next big find of the night was actually a burm. It was over 7 feet and no one needed to yell out burmese. :) You can see the damn things from a 1/4 mile away! I didn't get any still shots of our prize, but I did film a bit of it. Film to come later...

We transitioned out of the pine woods area and into the mangrove swamp and the frequency of snakes went way up. We were finding waters, garters and ribbons pretty frequently, and we found two lifers in a row for me:

Everglades Ratsnake being weighed for the study:
and a HUGE adult Scarlet snake.
Cemophra coccinea
That's the best picture I could get. The mosquitos were so bad that I couldn't take a decent picture. I had drowned myself in deet and they were finding weak spots. While trying to photo that snake mosquitos were biting my lips!! My freaking lips!! insane.

We bumped into some other researchers and we found out that every car had one 7 foot python so far. Three cars three burmese. I guess the freeze didn't get them after all.

After leaving the other herpers we found another Cemophora and some more cottonmouths and then we got out and shined the roadside for pygmys.

We were not disappointed!

Sistrurus miliarus barbouri In Situ (no light. For some reason I really like this dark picture. ??)
Again with light:
I have a pygmy obsession, and I must say this is one of my favorite photos from the trip.

On our way back through the park we found more of the usual suspects. Mikey was getting temp data so I decided to photo a nice female cottonmouth on the side of the road.

Agkistrodon piscivorus conanti In situ

I was laying in the road getting the above shot and I looked down and right next to me was another snake in the exact same position right next to me.
Luckily it was not a cottonmouth! I tried to line up the double in situ, but the little girl wouldn't hold still. Instead I got this acceptable "field guide shot" of my lifer:
Florida Brown Snake
Storeria dekayi victa
And another to show more of the body in detail:

I turned the brown snake over to Mike and continued to try for good shots of the well behaved cotton who was waiting patiently for me on the road side.
All the moving around caused her to get spooked.
In situ plus aggression:
Head Shot:

After measuring and otherwise harassing her, we let this chunky girl go. She waved goodbye cottonmouth style:

The next snake of note was another lifer! A live lifer technically, as I had found a DOR some years back. This beast reminded me of a miniature anaconda and looked like it was going to drop a bucket full of babies at any moment!
Regina allani Striped Crayfish Snake:
Look at how stretched out its skin is:
Life is good for the crayfish snakes in ENP!

I have bred snakes in captivity for about 15 years, and my main focus early on was cornsnakes. I've probably hatched close to 5,000 baby corns at my house and I've seen countless hundreds more at shows etc, but nothing ever prepares me for the feeling I get seeing a wild one.
Pantherophis guttatus In Situ
This is what I would call a typical, even ugly, "Miami Phase Corn" if I saw it at a show or in a petstore, but seeing it out there, it was the most beautiful snake I saw all night!
Smirking at me:

At the end of the road Mikey was taking his data for the night's end, so I futzed around and flipped some rocks. On my first try I got another invasive snake species that gets far less press:
Ramphotyphlops braminus
Brahminy Blind Snake
These tiny snakes are all female (parthenogenic) and their original range has been obscured by the fact that they have invaded tropical climates everywhere. We found three on the crawl the next night. (while walking the roadside, not even the ninja can spot these from a car!)
I tried to use his sharp tail to clean my finger nails. (just kidding, but they needed it... Jeez)

Snakes had basically stopped moving at this point, so I managed to convince Mike to stop so I could photo another introduced critter:
Osteopilus septentrionalis Cuban tree frog In situ:

That concludes night one.
During the next day, I took some time to photo the pile of baby burms that had been caught recently.
They are common as dirt, but they are beautiful little creatures
Python molurus bivittatus Burmese Python:

I did some impromptu "white box" shots on top of a large freezer. Sadly, these babies will likely end up inside of it.

That night, Mikey had to do some frog call surveys, and I was supposed to go out with the croc guys to catch baby crocs. Well the croc guy cancelled at the last minute, so I was stuck doing the frog survey. Which, no offense to those of you who like to listen to green treefrogs call, didn't sound that stimulating. Luckily, I was rescued in the 11th hour by Chris Gillette. He stopped by after work and picked me up, and we headed to the glades to cruise.

We found a little corn even before we got to the park road and then, right next to the sign, we found another python.
Baby Python molurus bivittatus In situ
Posed:
We were literally right next to the sign, and I was tempted to do a "Bill Love Shot" but Chris talked me down. :)

A big storm blew in and dropped the temps, so snake movement was basically halted for the evening. We didn't have to stop and measure each snake, so we did manage to find a lot of stuff despite the cold weather. More of the usual cottonmouths, waters, and ribbons. I found a second dekayi, another Cemophra, two more pygmys, and lots of amphibians.

On our way out on our last pass we spotted this little monster from times gone by in the road. He scurried into the grass as we approached, but I managed to get a couple of shots of him before he ran away:
Alligator mississippiensis American Alligator
This was my first time being close to a wild gator and I was VERY EXCITED!
I spent some time photo shopping out the grass and stuff so this shot was pure gator:

Chris noticed my extreme enthusiasm for the gator and suggested we walk down a trail where they are very common. People walk on the trail and the gators are not as skittish around people. I was game, so we headed down.

My first big find on the trail was something I had found many times, but never photo'd. I took a little time to get a shot, but because we weren't permitted to touch anything but pythons under Chris' permit I had to shoot this guy where he sat. It turned out ok though.
Lithobates grylio Pig Frog
a bit closer

Shortly after the froggie, Chris pointed out the first gator who was nearly laying on the path. I was a little frightened, but Chris has a lot of experience working with gators and he stood by me as I crept closer and closer to this 9 footer:
a little closer
Closer...
TOO CLOSE! Suddenly the huge animal wheeled and headed back into the swamp. I snapped a shot and simultaneously pooped myself!

At the end of the trail was a boardwalk and there were gators everywhere. As promised, they didn't move when approached. I was right above them, but felt relatively secure on the wooden platform. I was able to get some up close shots of this six footer:
From above (safely on the platform, I promise.)

The raised bumps on the alligators back are actually bones embedded in the skin called osteoderms. They are one of the reasons why there is such a clear fossil record of crocodillians dating back hundreds of millions of years.

Foot:

As Chris stated, it is not the gator you see that is the problem, its the one that is watching you from the side or behind. I looked to the right of me after photoing the six footer below and this beast was staring me down:

While walking back along the edge of the water, I noticed eye shine swimming our way. This gator was approaching us, mouth open, with no fear. Chris was just about to put his arm up and push me away as I snapped this picture:

We observed the gator's approach and agreed that it was not hunting, but looking to be fed. Chris said that people may come here to feed them for a thrill. As if on cue, the monster gator slowly and gently probed the shore for food we might of left:
Then it patiently waited with its head on the shore for us to feed him.

It was cool getting to see them up close, but I was disappointed to see this sort of behaviour. This gator's lack of fear may lead to people getting hurt and the gator getting killed eventually. I couldn't get a shot of it, but about six or seven other individuals were waiting a few feet from shore to see what biggie brought home.

We headed back to the car, scanning the bushes along the pond for cornsnakes when I spotted this guy waiting for us between us and the car.
Closer....
This one did not want to move. Chris said we could probably just walk around.

I carefully walked around the gator and continued my search for corns. Chris spotted one hunting for anoles in a little shrub:
I was a little nervous because of all the gators following us around, so I snapped some quick pics and was off!

That was a great way to end my second night in the Everglades!

Thanks so much to Mikey and Chris! I can't wait to come back again!

Dan

PS I also did some hunting up by Daytona while I attended the Daytona Reptile Expo, but it was cold and rainy. The only thing I photo'd was Scott Waters' lifer:
Hyla gratiosa Barking Treefrog
Mike Rochford

Re: Ninja in the Everglades (Pythons, Crocodillians, Awesome

Post by Mike Rochford »

Nice pics!!! Enjoyed the narrative and I'm glad u didn't vomit on the back of my head!!! ;)

Mike
Ryan Sikola

Post by Ryan Sikola »

Those gators and that LAST CORNSNAKE were awesome :thumb: I really liked the bold black borders on that last corn!
ksuglennj

Post by ksuglennj »

Very cool story. I really enjoyed the behind the scenes aspect. Looking forward to the videos.

Glenn
RobK

Post by RobK »

Can't get two better guides than those guys.
Looks like a great trip, video should be good.

-rob
Eimon

Post by Eimon »

I am soo much more envious after seeing pics. Damn you :D BTW- I love those little flyers. Turn dives are awesome.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

WOW!
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Bravo.. :beer: :thumb:

Fundad
Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother »

Dang ya'll, that was awesome!
justinm

Post by justinm »

There's a reason that Mikey is my hero and should be everyone's!
Josh Young

Post by Josh Young »

I woulda been stoked to be in Mike and Chris' presence again. Awesome pictures man. The only snake I saw the last time I was in the glades was a single EDB. I'd have been happy to see just a cottonmouth or the any of the other snakes, except the scarlet snake and corn snakes.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

All's well that ends well. Nice meetin' ya.
Tim
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

LOL yeah finding big gators right by you like that can be a bit disconcerting.
Amazing nights there in the glades...I'm sad for the baby burms though :( And that baby corn you found was pretty!
Bobbleton

Post by Bobbleton »

Haha I love how you used "awesome" in the subject . . . which it clearly was.
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

Thanks guys. I just kept telling those guys how great their jobs are! I mean, herping for a living in ENP? Sweet. I keep thinking that I will satisfy my lust for South Florida, but the more I go, the more I want to go back.

Thanks again Mike and Chris.

Mikey, my offer stands to introduce you to West Texas next year. Chris, get yourself to Kansas and I'll return the favor.

Dan
Bill Love

Post by Bill Love »

It looks like the variety of herps kept you clicking non-stop; I can only try to imagine the amount of video you shot! I look forward to your film someday that uses some of it.

Nice meeting you in person last weekend at the Daytona expo too!
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Glad you had a good time man, I enjoyed the night of herping, glad you dont think I'm so insane anymore too lol. I went out with some friends today and found a nice EDB, you're missing out up there! I'll hopefully make it out your way in May though.
BronxHerper

Post by BronxHerper »

Wow, thats definitely some cool stuff. all those gators would have been the trip of a life time for me. great stuff!
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

Looks like it was a great trip! What blows me away most about the Everglades is the diversity in snake species. Mike and I cruised that same road in June (as everyone here has said, he's a great guide to go herping there with) and we found quite a few snakes of a number of different species, yet there's only a tiny bit of overlap with the species you found.
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

Eric,

That's what I keep thinking about. My first night with Mike was a night that I could compare with almost any night of herping I have ever experienced, but then to have C to the G take me out the next night and deliver a night of equal amazement. Wow. What a trip.

Gillette- You're not crazy. Your job is dangerous, but I don't see you as reckless. You understand alligator behavior and you take advantage of it. People call me crazy for how I act around dogs when I'm delivering packages, but I know dogs well enough to keep the situation under control. Please don't ever get complacent. If I let my guard down, I'll get a little nip from a dog or a couple of stitches, if you let yours down, we'll have to get you a new nickname. Stumpy, perhaps...

:)

I just watched some of the footage. The walk in on the burm and the flight stuff looks great. However, I once again have caught a wild burmese and have no really good footage or photos to show for it! I just get so damned excited I forget my job! That's why I always need a camera man to follow me around. Andrew? What are you doing next weekend? :)

Dan
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Really great shots and so many cool animals. Makes me want to visit the US again!
joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen »

This was an awesome gator post; much better then the all to common "side of the highway" type shots. Finding that last gator stretched across the path was superb! Can anyone walk in the park at night?
Ian
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

joeysgreen wrote:This was an awesome gator post; much better then the all to common "side of the highway" type shots. Finding that last gator stretched across the path was superb! Can anyone walk in the park at night?
Ian

Anyone foolhardy enough to risk life and limb! Remember, I had a guide with me who is an alligator expert. If you do try it, don't go alone, and be VERY careful. As I mentioned in the post, they have little fear of humans and seem to have been fed which makes them quite dangerous.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

DAN