Santa Barbara Zoo Looking For Herpkeeper

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

klawnskale

Santa Barbara Zoo Looking For Herpkeeper

Post by klawnskale »

If you live in or near Santa Barabara and need a job, this may interest ypu. Pay not great but the work is fun. http://www.sbzoo.org/employment-listings
TORIN

Re: Santa Barbara Zoo Looking For Herpkeeper

Post by TORIN »

Wow! Wish I lived just a little bit closer. That's my dream job.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

The position may be filled at the apprentice keeper or keeper level, depending on experience, with wages ranging from $13 to $15/hr.
They want someone with a college education ..... more proof that college educations and the pay you get for having one are a complete waste of time!

This is starting pay for a truck driver with only a high school education.

What a joke!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I turned down the job to head up the SB Zoo's reptile house, back in the 80's, cause they were only offering $10 hr, and I didn't think I could support a wife, 2 kids, and another on the way, in Santa Barbara on that wage. Sometimes wish I would have gone for it... :? jim
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

The key issue here is what are your priorities? Do you want a position that will enhance your resume
which would lead to a career in the zoo community or biology, or you just want to make money? I can't imagine driving a truck would be as fun and rewarding as taking care of a zoo's herp collection and helping to educate the public. This could lead to a higher paid position later on because you've acquired the experience. Education is never a waste of time. In fact, I will be taking some courses during the winter semester in wildlife ecology and evolution offered by UCLA at a great discount to people who are 50+. If anyone is interested in this program just PM me and I'll give you the info on how to register.
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Biker Dave wrote:
The position may be filled at the apprentice keeper or keeper level, depending on experience, with wages ranging from $13 to $15/hr.
They want someone with a college education ..... more proof that college educations and the pay you get for having one are a complete waste of time!

This is starting pay for a truck driver with only a high school education.

What a joke!
That comment is great for the children and parents who read this forum. Yes, we all have opinions and we all can speak freely... but when we have children and students reading this public forum.. our words can possibly influence some of them. Sure I have some friends who have a degree and cannot get a job, but they don't regret being more educated than before their college duration. It's a tough job market out there for many fields.

This job pays $13-15... which can be decent depending on your lifestyle. Not everyone wants/needs a new 4x4 herping truck, hottest newest DSLR, 4 bedroom house, a BMW, etc. This job posting probably won't last very long. Zookeeper positions aren't as available as some of the other job fields. Seems like morale tends to be higher than an office job.

Some people are willing to go to school and not make a lot of money, but get to do what they love. Some people want to work with animals or some people want to drive trucks. Some people want to do neither or some want to do both. I have done both and they are both great jobs. I would rather do either of those outdoor jobs than a office job (which I have also done).

I needed college education for my current job. Does it pay amazing wages.... hell no, but I love what I do, I work 3 days a week, I can take vacations very frequently, it is down the street from me, I get to help people, etc etc. Though, I will agree many institutions are way overpriced!!!

I would never say college education is a complete waste of time! Education is exercise for the mind - but you will notice that some people don't like to exercise their body, let alone their mind.
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

klawnskale wrote:T I can't imagine driving a truck would be as fun and rewarding as taking care of a zoo's herp collection and helping to educate the public.
Driving a truck is pretty fun except driving in traffic like LA. It's just not for everyone. I would rather drive a truck than clean poop. lol Other than the poop, I do love educating the public and working with unique animals. BTW, I sometimes still clean poop at my current job... it's just not one of my perks.

klawnskale wrote:The key issue here is what are your priorities?
This is what it boils down to.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Hell...I started out as a turd herder with Jett's Petting Zoo...traveling up and down Ca, from mall to mall... work, partying and an endless stream of girls...7 days a week...couple of days off between gigs.... boy...them was the days... :D Come to think of it... my oldest son was conceived in the hay loft of the livestock truck... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Cleaning poop from lizards and snakes does not compare to mucking out horse stalls, and a camel enclosure with wheelbarrows filled with manure emptied into a pile of poop . I have done all of that.
Builds muscle and character.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I'm just saying with the high cost of college educations, decades of college loans to pay off, and ridiculous cost of living expenses in California (especially SB) you'd have to be nuts to take a job at $13-15 hour unless you want to spend your life living in your parent's basement. And they are not looking for someone straight out of school but someone who already has experience! Are you kidding me !?!

Thanks but no thanks!
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

[quote="Biker Dave"]I'm just saying with the high cost of college educations, decades of college loans to pay off, and ridiculous cost of living expenses in California (especially SB) you'd have to be nuts to take a job at $13-15 hour unless you want to spend your life living in your parent's basement. And they are not looking for someone straight out of school but someone who already has experience! Are you kidding me !?!

All the more reason why they should hire an older educated adult who has no debt :thumb: ;)
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Says the degree and AZA facility experience is preferred, not required...I'd like to see a seasoned herper and herp keeper go in and dazzle them--wonder what the chances for success would be.

Job's been posted for almost a month...I thought someone would jump at the opportunity by now.
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Sometimes posters on job boards are remiss about removing their postings even after it has been filled. I am sure it is no longer available.