Monumental Week in FL with Herper from MN

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

JakeScott

Monumental Week in FL with Herper from MN

Post by JakeScott »

I met Duane McDermott in the Airport in Panama City, Panama on our way to the Peruvian Amazon this past January. While down there we spent quite a bit of time traversing the jungle trails and catching (in his case being caught) some caimans. He had told me wanted to come visit me in Florida at some point. Thinking it would never really happen, I agreed he should come. Unfortunately, he was good on his word and the next thing I knew he was here. I'm only kidding, he's a good feller (he means well).
He had a small list of things he really wanted to see. Alligator snapping turtle was the one thing that he really emphasized. I know areas for this mega-beast, but finding one is a whole other story. And this summer was extremely rainy creating high river levels, which makes it even more difficult. But what the hell, why not try?
Knowing good and well that bringing out-of-staters herping generally is good luck, I was eager to get out and look for critters.
The very first night he arrived we went out, only to get a torrential downpour the whole drive to our destination. When we got to our destination it was on and off rain and we only ended up finding a couple DORs, a few Florida Watersnakes and this guy, not the target snapper, but a cool one nonetheless.
Florida Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina osceola)
Chelydra serpentina osceola by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
Not a bad start, but not too bad either.
The next afternoon I decided to bring him to the West Coast of FL. Some decent roads were about to get herped.
The very first thing we came across was a lifer for Duane and a very good find for me.
Florida Chicken Turtle (Deirochelys reticularia chrysea)
Deirochelys reticularia chrysea by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
Followed very shortly by another lifer for Duane.
A young Eastern Glass Lizard (Ophisaurus ventralis)
Ophisaurus ventralis by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
The afternoon sun was still quite warm, and the roads were even warmer. We pulled over to the side of the road to kick around some pocket gopher mounds looking for mole skinks. We found a whole bunch of finger-dwelling sand spurs and ankle-laden prickly pairs....and one more lifer for Duane. The Eastern Spadefoot (Scaphiopus holbrookii) that I didn't manage to photograph for him.
The sun was getting a bit lower now and the time was prime. Ahead in the road we made out the unmistakable silhouette of a serpent. It was yet another lifer for Duane.
Gray Rat Snake (Elaphe obsoleta spiloides)
Elaphe obsoleta spiloides by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
Next up was not a lifer for him, but one that is still fun to see....at least after the first 6 or 7.
Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake (Sistrurus miliarius barbouri)
Sistrurus miliarius barbouri by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
Quickly followed by one that was his lifer and a very good on indeed.
Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake (Crotalus adamanteus)
Duane (nerd) with snake by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
He was excited, if you couldn't tell from the above picture.
We ended up seeing a total of three yoy EDBs.
Crotalus adamanteus by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
He also got his lifer Florida Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus conanti) that I didn't photograph. I think we got about 4 of them this evening.
We drove the hour and a half drive home knowing that his trip was already a success.
Friday (day 3) I took off work and we went to one of the clear spring runs for some relaxation and maybe some turtelin'.
We managed two lifers for him this day. Neither of the following photos were from this day, since we didn't have our waterproof cameras and we were floating on tubes that seemed to lack the ability to keep air within. Most of the floating turned into partially swimming.
Suwannee River Cooters (Pseudemys suwanniensis) aka emerald eyes.
Pseudemys suwanniensis by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
Pseudemys suwanniensis by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
Loggerhead Musk Turtle (Sternotherus minor minor)...how'd they get that name?
Sternotherus minor minor by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
The day ended well; I didn't' have to work and Duane got to see some beautiful crystal clear spring water and some toitles.
Saturday (day 4) morning we got up before the sun and headed for a few roads that were a good hour and half north of us. Mornings this time of year can be great in the sandhills. We got to the dirt road of choice and began our tour. The only thing in front of us was more road and behind us only plumes of white sand dust. It didn't take long for the empty road in front of us to turn into one with a lifer (for Duane) making it's crossing. This was another one high on his short list.
Eastern Coral Snake (Micrurus fulvius)
Micrurus fulvius by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
We didn't see anything else this morning. The only bad part about this time of year is you have to get out early and if you don't find much early it will get hot quick. We made the trip home and relaxed for the rest of the day.
That evening we hit some roads North (there's a trend going on here) of us. This time of year hatchlings and freshly-had babies are on the move. We turned down a rural paved road and immediately saw two snakes right in front of us. Both only feet apart. Now, Duane does not consider these lifers since they are basically just the southern version of the Timber Rattlesnake, but I tried to convince him they are much cooler - with little success.
Canebrake Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus "atricaudatus")
Crotalus horridus by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
Just to show the beauty of one of the adults, here's one that Dick Bartlett and I found a couple weeks earlier.
Crotalus horridus by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
We ended up with three total. The third was only about 100 yards further up the road.
Sunday (Duane's last day) we hit the same area of Florida. Early again, but this time we did some hiking. We parked the car and started off. It felt like THE perfect temperatures and there was something in the air. After a short while we saw something ahead of us. We thought it was a large burnt piece of pine tree laying on the side of the path. We really didn't register that this could be the king of the sandhills. We walked with a little more purpose when we saw that this thing was far too shiny for burnt wood. We could not believe what we were looking at. This was not a lifer for me, but this was most certainly the largest I had ever seen. It was just sitting in the opening awaiting us as to say "I'm bigger than you". If you haven't guessed what we were seeing yet, here you go. The prize of his trip!
Eastern Indigo (Drymarchon couperi)
Drymarchon couperi by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
This snake was all of 7 feet. When it stretched out to make it's departure from us, we really got a GOOD look at this brute. You could see one of these snakes everyday for the rest of your life, and you would be in awe everyday.
Hearts still beating through our ribs and adrenaline running through our brains, we made our trip back to the car. The drive went something like this "We saw a freakin' indigo!"...I'm sure there were a few expletives thrown in the mix. We euphorically drove to a river I had seen Alligator Snappers at before. We parked the car and started walking the riparian shoreline. At the boat ramp we stopped to look closely at some of the floating debris. This area was in the sunlight and just looked good. My eyes were drawn to something under the surface, close to the shore. It was small and turtle-like. Well, that's because it was. I said "Duane, come here....what is this?" He bent over and said "holly crap, it's a snapping turtle" (or something along those lines). It was indeed a snapping turtle, but not of the common variety. We were looking at a fresh hatchling, eggtooth still intact, alligator snapping turtle!
Alligator Snapping Turtle (Macrochelys temminckii)
Macrochelys temminckii by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
Our high had never officially ended and now it was going to take it's time for sure.
Duane departed the local Gainesville airport for home on Monday morning. We had seen a lot of cool things in short period of time and they will not soon be forgotten.
I decided to keep the trip alive on my own. The next morning, at my front door, was this little gem greeting me.
Florida Rough Green Snake (Opheodrys aestivus carinatus)
Opheodrys aestivus carinatus by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
I took a day trip to the panhandle of Florida this morning. A 2.5 hour drive and I was at my destination. I decided to walk some tributaries of the Apalachicola River. After finding a few good, clear, sand bottom streams I decided on one and started walking it. I had a goal and I was going to get it, or...not get it and be bummed.
I had been walking for what seemed like hours, when I saw a snake at the edge of the stream. I had already seen two Brown Water Snakes and figured it was another one. From far away I could see it was smaller than the ones before and much more slender. Getting closer I saw that it had a narrow head and stripes running laterally..."well, that's a weird brown water snake." It would have been a weird one, had it been one. It was actually my target, in one of the few areas of Florida they can be found (uncommonly).
Queen Snake (Regina septemvittata)
Regina septemvittata by Jake M. Scott, on Flickr
This week couldn't get much better...I'll bet you think I found something else with a start to the sentence like that....but I didn't, and I'm am pretty okay with that.
I'm strongly thinking I should play the lottery. What numbers should I play?

I hope you enjoyed this short account. I had an awesome time, and I can speak for Duane when I say, he also had an awesome time. I'm sure he'll chime in to agree. He'd also say "We didn't even see a single black racer"

-Jake Scott
Berkeley Boone

Re: Monumental Week in FL with Herper from MN

Post by Berkeley Boone »

That. Was. AWESOME.
Dibbs on coming down there next!
--Berkeley
Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother »

You boys been livin RIGHT....thats all there is to it.
EPIC fl trip right there. And to quote our friend from MN, that Indigo was DOPE!!!!
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

pretty sweet stuff!
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Monumental is a good word choice. WOW.....

Do you happen to have a shot of the Indigo stretched on the road?
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Beautiful, fun post!
I love the "emerald eyes" and the loggerhead musk. Also the EDBs, and of course the glorious indigo.
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

Any stitches necessary?
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Great post, Jake.
Loggerhead Musk and Alligator Snapper are really good finds.

A good trip is made even better when you can host someone from out of the area!
If you could duplicate that trip every time you could start a domestic tour service! :lol:

:thumb: :thumb:

PS
I would certainly not dispute the scientific, taxonomic merge of Mtn Timber and coastal plain "Timber" (Canebrake), but, from a field point of view, at least on the east coast (Appalachians and east), these animals are different as night and day in habitat, hibernation choices, general morphology looks, etc., so based on herping techniques, this should be a special find for anyone visiting.
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Very cool trip. If I made a trip to Florida, my top targets would be EDBs, pigmy rattlesnakes, & canebrakes....then eastern coral, indigo and alligator snapping turtle. LOL What a sweet trip
justinm

Post by justinm »

Wow that's like a bucket list trip right there. I would be playing the lotto and buying a rabbits foot. I'm sure this was mostly skill, but you guys sure are lucky.
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

Thanks everyone. Bill, those are almost the exact words I used when explaining the cane/timber situation.

This was amazing, but luck can outweigh skill on many-an-occasion.

-Jake
krisbell

Post by krisbell »

Absolutely EPIC finds!!! I live in the UK so I'm a real out of towner - imagine the stuff we could find if you take me out for a herp!
Eric East

Post by Eric East »

Very cool post! Many of those are high on my must find list! I think the next time I herp with a certain fella from MN I may have to slap him! :lol:
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

Very cool post! Was the second snapper an albino? or was it hypo?