Komodo Island

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kkchome

Komodo Island

Post by kkchome »

I will be going to Indonesia for business in late October, I since I need to go to Bali for some meetings, I would like to head over to Komodo Island for a day or two to see the dragons. Does anybody have an recommendations on how to get a tour booked up?
venomdoc

Re: Kimodo Island

Post by venomdoc »

Kimodo .... is this the island where the dragons are all walking around in drag wearing Japanese silk wrap around dresses ;)
kkchome

Re: Komodo Island

Post by kkchome »

Make that Komodo :oops:
venomdoc

Post by venomdoc »

Tom

Post by Tom »

Booking tours out of country can be expensive. My plan would be to fly to Labuan Bajo (you can get a ferries/buses but it takes a long time - just beware that the flights are also often unreliable and won't fly in bad weather) - it only takes an hour. Then get a taxi and walk around the port asking about boats to Komodo etc. and let them know what you want to do, preferably with multiple captains competing for a good price. Make sure the boat looks seaworthy too, because although there are few waves in the Flores Sea, there are serious currents. You'll see the dragons as soon as you get onto Komodo pretty much, so if you're spending more than a day or two visiting there or Rinca, it's worth looking for the insularis vipers, spitting cobras and Russel's vipers that are about (and asking the local people if they've seen any).

The diving is also great - lots of Manta rays.

Enjoy, it's an awesome place.
kkchome

Post by kkchome »

Thanks for the suggestions