Ladies and gentlemen.... My first Rattler!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

R3dguitarist

Ladies and gentlemen.... My first Rattler!

Post by R3dguitarist »

Ah... the summer goal (and a life goal of mine for a loooong time) has been to find Crotalus viridis while field herping, a goal I met yesterday. Forgive me for this post, as I like to ramble about this haha :D Even better than simply finding one, I found it in the middle of a fairly public area, which means they have successfully been able to survive thus far with the expanding construction work around them. Without further adue.....

Beautiful camo with the surrounding environment:

This one here is my personal favorite:

This one made for a funny gag photo, I only put him in there while I adjusted my greaves (leg protection) to keep an eye on him so please save the negative comments for yourself:

This happened to be a surprisingly easy snake to work with:

Another of his fairly calm demeanor:

I don't think I've ever been more proud in my life :D

Sorry I just had to share! Let me know what ya think :D
hellihooks

Re: Ladies and gentlemen.... My first Rattler!

Post by hellihooks »

I killed and ate my first rattler...course... I was 13 and that was over 40 years ago. :roll: So.... for sure... good job...and congrats... :thumb: jim
Blacktail31

Post by Blacktail31 »

Congrats man!!! I remember my first rattlesnake and it was also a viridis. I was 13 and my snake hook was a modified golf club crossed with a metal clothes hanger. I hope your first remains as vivid in your head as mine is.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Congrats. I think you'll find that they like all the junk laying around construction areas. Atrox in Texas sure don't mind being next to people!
R3dguitarist

Post by R3dguitarist »

Soopaman wrote:Congrats. I think you'll find that they like all the junk laying around construction areas. Atrox in Texas sure don't mind being next to people!
I'm just glad to see they aren't being affected too much population wise due to indiscriminate killing. Thanks :)
Blacktail31 wrote:Congrats man!!! I remember my first rattlesnake and it was also a viridis. I was 13 and my snake hook was a modified golf club crossed with a metal clothes hanger. I hope your first remains as vivid in your head as mine is.
Mine's some kind of hardwood broom handle with a bike hanging hook screwed into the end and a duct tape grip :P Thanks, I won't be forgetting it any time soon that's for sure!
hellihooks wrote:I killed and ate my first rattler...course... I was 13 and that was over 40 years ago. :roll: So.... for sure... good job...and congrats... :thumb: jim
I almost did that myself... seemed like some primitive journey into manhood haha! I decided I'd let him go though, that way I can catch him sometime later to enjoy all over again.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Beautiful snake!

:beer:
chrish

Post by chrish »

Congrats. Having your first rattler be a viridis is pretty cool. viridis are awesome with their pissy attitudes and bright patterns.
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

Good job! I've only found a handful of rattlesnakes on my own, and the first one of the year came this past weekend. A Massassauga crossing the road at night. A great feeling isn't it?!
R3dguitarist

Post by R3dguitarist »

chrish wrote:Congrats. Having your first rattler be a viridis is pretty cool. viridis are awesome with their pissy attitudes and bright patterns.
Indeed, it was a jumpy experience haha an the colors are stunning!
Jon Wedow wrote:Good job! I've only found a handful of rattlesnakes on my own, and the first one of the year came this past weekend. A Massassauga crossing the road at night. A great feeling isn't it?!
There's no other feeling quite like it :)
dery

Post by dery »

My first rattler was n edb from ENP. Now it's part of a data request. I've only seen the crotalus genus so far, so them rare massasagas or even a pigmy would be a lifer.