Peruvian Amazonia, or is that Amazonian Peru?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Gekkotan

Re: Peruvian Amazonia, or is that Amazonian Peru?

Post by Gekkotan »

I asked the same in other topics. Lets see if I get some more info so I can know where is the best place to look for it. Thanks again.
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

We also saw a couple of DOR Helicops on the paved road between Iquitos and Nauta. It was night, and I'm not familiar with the terrain, so I don't know where the nearest water was for those two.

John
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Good to see this one bumped up again!

-Mike
ptrick127

Post by ptrick127 »

That "possibly undescribed" Pristimantis with the yellow thighs and shoulder looks like it could be P. divnae, which I think was first described at Los Amigos Biological Station (Madre de Dios) in 2009.
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Interesting! Thanks ptrick127 -- I'll send email to the authors of that species description to see what they think.

John
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Ribbit wrote:I'll send email to the authors of that species description to see what they think.
Would be interesting to know how that works out, because I have been unsuccessful. :(

Wait a minute.... you just got back from another Peruvian adventure, right, John? I'm very excited to see how it went.
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Indeed I did, Jeroen. It was great, as expected. We're all still working through some of the IDs to arrive at a species list someday. It looks like I'll have a slightly longer species list personally than last year, but it's not clear whether the entire group's list will be shorter or longer than last year's entire group's list. Sooner or later I'll get a post onto FHF. Perhaps Kevin Messenger or Matt Cage will beat me to it.

John
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Cool that Kevin was part of the team. Surely, he must have been a valuable asset. I will devour ALL resulting posts, regardless of their release date. Imho, you should definitely again do one yourself too. I loved the personal touch of this thread, and I can tell many others did too.
Bostaff of Asclepius

Post by Bostaff of Asclepius »

This was a great read, thank you for taking the time to compose it!
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Thanks Bostaff!

Jeroen, no response yet from the P. divnae authors. I'm getting help from Dick Bartlett with my frog IDs, and will definitely make a post about this year's trip sometime, hopefully relatively soon. Kevin and his dad were both great herp finders, and Kevin should have tons of excellent photos.

John
btskanks

Post by btskanks »

Hi just fantastic thank you, am I crazy or does the head on the aquatic coral look just like that of a water cobra's? Mainly the wacky separation of the scales, which I have seen even in the newborn cobras, BTW they get huge +7 feet and fat and very docile, to the point of being dangerous as you forget they are extremely venomous and have a slight antivenom issue.
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

ptrick127 and Jeroen: I did hear back from Dr. Edgar Lehr, one of the coauthors of the paper describing Pristimantis divnae. He said that the specimen looks like P. divnae, but he can't tell for sure without seeing the venter. So I will put it down as "probably P. divnae".

John
Ameron

Portland/Vancouver Gratitude

Post by Ameron »

I have seen your posts many times across the years and I enjoy them tremendously. They allow me to live vicariously by visiting many places I would never have seen in a single lifetime. Your posts, both text & photos, are superlative and are highly enjoyed by thousands of persons worldwide. Many thanks to you!

I can tell that your focus is on Frogs. When I was a child, there was NOTHING more fun than catching frogs in the frog pond in our neighbor’s back yard in Rexburg, ID. My reptile favorites may be Turtles, Tortoises & Horned Lizards, but I keep snakes instead because they are much easier to keep, and I can handle & interact with them.

Amazonia is like a Shangri-la that most Herpers dream of visiting. I hope that responsible citizens circumvent irresponsible leaders and make the hard choices necessary to save Amazonia from one-time development for quick corporate profits.

Enjoy the Tucson trip & speaking event. I visited there in June 2006, and would love to live in the area. One day, I hope to become a Snow Bird and live in warmer climates.

Ameron
Portland/Vancouver

1.0 Boa constrictor imperator (Hog Island)
1.0 Lampropeltis triangulum nelsoni
1.0 Agrionemys horsfieldii kazakhstanica

Flicker link below shows vivarium & snake photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50964744@N06/
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Thanks Ameron!

My overall focus isn't really on frogs, but there are so many frogs in Amazonia that you end up with way more pictures of frogs than of other herps. If I had to pick my favorite group of herps, I would pick lizards. Fortunately I don't have to pick and can enjoy them all.

The Tucson talk took place last August (this thread was recently resurrected by someone asking for info about Helicops). I think it went well, but you'd have to ask the people in the audience to be sure.

Amazonia is a fantastic place for herps, and in fact I recently returned from a 2nd trip to Peru with MT Amazon Expeditions. I hope to put together a post about that trip soon.

John