Which parts of AZ will you NOT hunt due to safety reasons?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

HornedFrog44

Which parts of AZ will you NOT hunt due to safety reasons?

Post by HornedFrog44 »

I am wondering which parts of the state that are very close to the border you are not willing to hunt for safety reasons... and why.

Of course, most "questionable" places near the border are swarming with BP and if you do come across someone who is not supposed to be there they are likely not dangerous and just trying to create a better life for themself; however, I am sure that no one here is oblivious to what goes on down there.

I have never come across anything too serious myself, but I am sure that there are certain areas in which the odds of you being in the wrong place at the wrong time greatly increase. If you know of a place like that, I am asking for you to share it. PM me if you must, but my hope is that if you know of a place like that, that you'll just share it publically for the benefit and safety of the herping community as a whole.

If you feel completely safe hunting pretty much anywhere, with no exceptions, please comment as well as that's valuable input.
Fieldnotes

Re: Which parts of AZ will you NOT hunt due to safety reason

Post by Fieldnotes »

When down by the border, I like to inform the Border patrol im around and looking for herps. After that they usually radio other agents in the area and I'm left alone or they keep a peaceful eye on me from a distance. When camped at night by the border, at times, I will leave water displayed on the roof of my truck This way, if criminal crossers are desperate enough to kill for water, they will see that won’t be necessary cause im offering it up without a hassle. The one place i find that is not safe to herp, is the interstate Hwys too much traffic and too dangerous of a speed be stooping for herps.
Brandon La Forest

Post by Brandon La Forest »

Its all safe, just be smart pay attention to private property signs. But tales of its border danger have been greatly exaggerated.

Cheers,

Brandon.
Southwest wanderer

Post by Southwest wanderer »

As far as road cruising goes, I feel comfortable going most anywhere. But then I usually have my sidekick with me.

He is more bark than bite, but he does put on a good show when anyone approaches the vehicle. Which so far has been border patrol only.

As far as hiking goes, I don't bring my dog with me. It's wildlife first and I don't want them to pick up the scent of a dog and flee. I avoid hiking at night, because I feel it may be more dangerous during those hours. Since 1995, I have had many outdoor biological field jobs in different parts of the state, some directly along the border. I would be out in the field from dusk to dawn without problems. When I worked based out of Coronado National Memorial on the border in the Huachucas the park service gave me a NPS radio which was able to pick up BP activity. It was incredible how much "activity" went on there overnight.

There is no area that I specifically avoid............yet.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Fieldnotes wrote:When camped at night by the border, at times, I will leave water displayed on the roof of my truck This way, if criminal crossers are desperate enough to kill for water, they will see that won’t be necessary cause im offering it up without a hassle.
What an insane scene. Mad Max comes to mind...
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I avoid the border area between Arizona and Nevada. Those gamblers are just way to serious!
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

I actually just read a book that goes into great depth regarding the violence in Mexico, (authored by the Blog Del Narco team) and found some common themes:
-
- Most of the violence there is inflicted upon those involved in the cartels/drug trade.
- Reporters and media there do not report on the vast majority of killings for fear of retribution by the cartels. What we hear about in the US is a miniscule fraction of what actually goes on there.
- Law enforcement is an entrepreneurial activity there. The cartels are running things, not the cops or the government.
- While civilians are killed in the crossfire between rival cartels, they are (usually) not the target(s). Wrong place, wrong time.
- It’s safer for politicians and law enforcement to pretend there isn’t an issue (blaming public outcries for justice on phenomena like “public hysteria” rather than cartel violence) than
actually what is going on.
- “You get the silver or the lead” – You either take the money the cartels offer and stay obedient to their ways, or you get dead. That simple.

Mind you, this is the situation from the Mexican perspective, not the US perspective. The book chronicles the violence in Mexico from early 2010-early 2011 and is redundant with photos and stories of violence, assassinations of politicians, beheadings in public squares, police indifference, etc…Mexico is the “Wild West” where laws are often subjective to the whims of whatever cartel(s) happen to be controlling a certain area.

On the US side, we’re still safe. In fact, you’re safer on the US border than you are in many major US metropolitan areas. I’ve camped out alone all along the border and never once have I been in a situation where I feared for my safety due to illegal activity. That said, it’s always a good idea to be prepared and be cognizant of your surroundings, but the Mexican cartel violence in the US has been massively hyped up by the US media.

Whole different ball of wax when you cross over….

-Kris
Southwest wanderer

I would love to read that book Kris.
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

"Dying For The Truth: Undercover Inside the Mexican Drug War"

By the fugitive reporters of Blog Del Narco.

This is by far the realest, most graphic and truly influential work on this subject. I have NEVER seen such brutality documented before. ***This book is NOT for the squeamish.***

After reading it, you really get what's happening in Mexico. Much more than you did before picking it up.

-Kris
Southwest wanderer

***This book is NOT for the squeamish.***
I was afraid of that. Got it on reserve from the library. Thanks.
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

One year while my friend and I were herping AZ on a shoestring budget, we spent the night at the truckstop north of Rio Rico. I was dog tired from driving, but my friend was up in the middle of the night trying to sleep upright under a ramada next to our car. Unbeknownst to me he encountered a young illegal who had just successfully crossed through the desert alive into Arizona without being detected by Border Patrol. The young man was very hungry and thirsty and was accompanied by a companion dog. My friend felt sorry for him and gave him a sandwich and a bottle of water. He told him in Spanish to be very careful now because he would be easily detected and sent back. Since my friend works in a professional capacity with homeless people as a caseworker he hopefully gave the young man helpful advice. I had no idea that this ensued until I woke up from a dead sleep in m y car and he told me what happened.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I occasionally herp along the border. There are many Border Patrol agents down there. Usually I feel pretty safe, sticking to the main roads. However I herped along the I-8 corridor east of Gila Bend one day this year and met an officer who warned me in no uncertain terms about the dangers in this area which officers had little control over. He advised me to stay out of the mountains there and to be packing if I was wandering in the desert.

TC
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

I was down there in the summer of 2012, and every single BP agent said the same thing, "this is not a safe place for you to be." Ben and Tim even got a polite ( :lol: ) suggestion to avoid a particular trail they had just started to walk down. I'm not sure how much exaggerating the law-enforcement officers who work that area are doing, but I do know this: It's pretty sad to have to hear that kind of warning from law-enforcement in our own country.

If you want to go...go. It's worth the trip, believe me. I would only recommend that you exercise caution, common sense, and your right to bear arms, much the same as you should do in most other places. Don't approach people you don't know. Don't draw attention to yourself. Don't go into an are that you don't already know the way out of. Get permission before wandering around on private property. This is the kind of common sense that is necessary to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip almost anywhere in the American wilderness. You simply have to adhere more strictly to these principles when in an area like Southern Arizona.

-Joshua

P.S. Leaving out food and water for illegal border crossers is counter-productive to border security. From a practical (if not legal) standpoint, it's aiding and abetting criminals. That being said, from a personal safety standpoint, it's probably not a terrible idea. I guess I'm kinda torn on that one...
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

Joshua Jones wrote:Ben and Tim even got a polite ( :lol: ) suggestion to avoid a particular trail they had just started to walk down.
I believe his exact words were "I can't tell you not to go up that trail, but you probably shouldn't go up that trail"
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

The actual place I was talking about along the I-8 corridor is one of the main travel routes, not only for illegals, but also drug and weapons trafficking into Phoenix. The officer said not only criminals are running around in the hills south of I-8, but also some citizens go out there packing heavy weapons, and it is an area that has lots of documented activity.

An irony about illegals is that you can spot them just about anywhere in southern AZ, sometimes not where you would expect. Recently, a herper friend of mine told me about a group of about 15 illegals he saw on a main road in the Santa Rita Mtns. This is an area that gets tons of birders, herpers, and other naturalists, not to mention the regular tourists and weekenders. I've also noted large groups of illegals in the mountains there, but have seen them wandering through Green Valley before too. Illegals don't worry me too much unless they are really desperate, but I do worry about areas with heavy traffic in drugs and weapons, etc.
HornedFrog44

Post by HornedFrog44 »

Joshua - do you mind telling us approximately where you were when BP gave you those warnings? I always check with BP in the area before I actively start exploring and they tell me to be careful but I have never received any really harsh, blunt warnings like that. I spend about 90% of my time in AZ hunting Cochise, Santa Cruz and eastern Pima County... I wonder if you were maybe in the south central or southwest part of the state?

I also find the comment about the Gila Bend area interesting. I have only really felt tense when I am within a few miles of the border, especially in areas in which I see there's a road right across the border on the Mexican side. Never had any idea that there was much to worry about that far north.
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Josh, In not sure how things are in other states, but in California, there are spots where water is intentionally and reliably left for those in need. I just saw one such place at Carrizo Wash in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park a few miles from a border patrol checkpoint. The agents are well aware of such water depots throughout the region.
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

P.S. Leaving out food and water for illegal border crossers is counter-productive to border security. From a practical (if not legal) standpoint, it's aiding and abetting criminals. That being said, from a personal safety standpoint, it's probably not a terrible idea. I guess I'm kinda torn on that one...

So allowing access to water is now aiding a criminal in some sort of criminal enterprise? The majority of crossers do not come to this country to wreak havoc and mayhem upon us unsuspecting American citizens...They come over because their country is a trainwreck (both politically and economically) and the only way they're going to live to see 40 is to do so.

Politics aside, I have given bottles of water to illegal immigrants when I've run into them...Some had small children. To me, this is a basic human compassion that all to often gets lost. They're not going to stop coming because you refuse to give water....They'll just die while trying.

-Kris
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

HornedFrog44 wrote:Joshua - do you mind telling us approximately where you were when BP gave you those warnings?
Santa Cruz and Cochise counties.
Fieldnotes wrote:Josh, In not sure how things are in other states, but in California, there are spots where water is intentionally and reliably left for those in need. I just saw one such place at Carrizo Wash in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park a few miles from a border patrol checkpoint. The agents are well aware of such water depots throughout the region.
While I wouldn't accuse most government agencies of being competent in their respective duties, I'm sure there is at least some degree of surveillance in place around such sites.
azatrox wrote: So allowing access to water is now aiding a criminal in some sort of criminal enterprise?
In certain circumstances, yes it is. That expanse of desert provides a natural barrier that likely stops more people than our efforts at fencing have.
azatrox wrote: The majority of crossers do not come to this country to wreak havoc and mayhem upon us unsuspecting American citizens...They come over because their country is a trainwreck (both politically and economically) and the only way they're going to live to see 40 is to do so.
I don't disagree. Nor do I think the immigration laws are fair. Properly written, new immigration laws could conceivably allow more Mexican immigrants to enter this country legally while doing their part by paying taxes and risking the same penalties for breaking our laws. (Currently, aliens are only required to serve 50% of their sentence before being deported.)

But that's not what I was talking about. What I was talking about was border security. Everyone who comes to this country has to go through customs because, ideology aside, it's not just the tired, poor, and huddled masses that come across our borders. If we don't allow people from other countries to bypass customs, why should Mexico be any different? Why should we make it easier for Mexicans to break our laws?

Crossing our border illegally is a crime, period. It doesn't matter why they're crossing. We have those laws in place to keep out those who haven't proven their intentions to CBP. The system isn't perfect by any means, but it's the only one that we have in place to protect our citizens from those few foreigners who would do us harm. I'm not saying that it's illegal or immoral to give water to someone in need. What I am saying is that until people learn to report all illegal border traffic, border security will remain a myth.

If they came prepared to commit a crime, but unprepared to deal with the trip that such an endeavor entails, should we make it easier for them to commit their crime? If so, should I also leave gloves and a brick on my porch to make sure that no would-be burglars cut themselves? What if he's just trying to feed his poverty-stricken family? I know that example was kinda silly, but you see what I'm getting at. Where does it end?

If you take the time to reread what I put in that post script....
Joshua Jones wrote: P.S. Leaving out food and water for illegal border crossers is counter-productive to border security. From a practical (if not legal) standpoint, it's aiding and abetting criminals. That being said, from a personal safety standpoint, it's probably not a terrible idea. I guess I'm kinda torn on that one...
you will likely notice that I was referring to leaving out food and water for illegal aliens, sight unseen, with no idea who you are helping. My comment was made in response to this comment:
Fieldnotes wrote: When camped at night by the border, at times, I will leave water displayed on the roof of my truck This way, if criminal crossers are desperate enough to kill for water, they will see that won’t be necessary cause im offering it up without a hassle.
Precisely the kind of people that you wouldn't want to help. The kind of people who would rather kill a camper than walk to a road and flag down help. Basic human compassion is one thing. Complete disregard for the very real issue of border security is a different subject, altogether.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

First, Forgive the intrusion here from a southeasterner, but this is an excellent post.
Many of you bring this subject to reality and really helps us "out of towners". Like many areas of the world, it just takes a touch of street smart to function.

Politics aside, I have given bottles of water to illegal immigrants when I've run into them...Some had small children. To me, this is a basic human compassion that all to often gets lost. They're not going to stop coming because you refuse to give water....They'll just die while trying.
:thumb: :thumb:
Good on you.
I checked with my doctor and he assured me that an act of compassion won't cause your testicles to shrink.

Can I assume that birding in the San Bernadino National Wildlife area would be reasonably safe? My wife and I plan to visit this area from the Chiricahuas in about 3 weeks?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Bill... I was born and raised in Berdoo... and I'd say the whole county is safe, with the exception actually being downtown San Bernardino... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Will... don't stoop for snakes... bend at the knees... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Jim,
I was born and raised in Berdoo
you do realize I was talking about "San Bernadino National Wildlife Refuge" near Douglas, AZ? :roll:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Nope... never heard of it...or Douglas either, for that matter... :roll: :lol: :lol: That makes more sense... :roll:
Most my friends who herp the AZ/Mex border, are 'packing' when they go, and say I'd be a fool to go there without a gun... so I don't go. Maybe it's low-T, as I get older... but I just don't have much tolerance for risk, anymore.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Bill, I've only been there once, but I wouldn't recommend the reserve for herping. I spent very little time there. There wasn't any cruising, however, maybe there were trails I didn't know about. One road in the area is mainly dirt. A farmer we met was nice. I don't think illegal traffic is a problem.

TC :beer:
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

but I wouldn't recommend the reserve for herping. I spent very little time there. There wasn't any cruising, however, maybe there were trails I didn't know about. One road in the area is mainly dirt. A farmer we met was nice. I don't think illegal traffic is a problem.
Thanks Terry
Hope all is well with you and yours.

A day trip to SBNWR would be for birding and/or to see some of the fish there.
We'll be in the Chiricahuas for about 5 days. Come on over. :beer:
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

... the topic is reasonable given the corporate-drugwarhype from the main media ... but i agree w/ others; the threat on our side is greatly exaggerated & as willardi nailed it, @ least here in az, and i have some more 1st hand exp in cali; & alot less in tx. ( & please understand ... mexico outside the biggest resorts, is truly a whole different story & topic ... )
Here in Az its absolute hi-tech war against the poorest most humble & decent people you can imagine, lower cast people in mexican society, invariably christians, fully oppressed, genetically & culturely swamped, they cross the line dehydrated, disoriented against la migra using blackhawk helicopters, w/ forward looking infra-red radars ... & para-military tactics against mere campesinos in huraches ... ive been there, even shamefully done a tiny bit of it ... seen alot more ... and felt the spatter of tears later, as i tried to process the wails of the women and children ... reverberating ... uuugghh ... i also transported a few truckloads out of the inner deserts to the nearest highway to wait for the patrulla, back then the radios were notoriously unreliable :}
I agree we need a vigilant border patrol / coast guard / natl guard, partic. w/ canada :p ... we just dont need the racism regarding nonviolent people who were here in the sw us, some 300+ years before we were.
These peasants cannot possibly overthrow their corrupt & despotic governments due to the endless doerayme/equipment we send them to fight our drug war ... yet another prohibition by a new & improved name ... & now w/ the perversion of this drug war, ordinary peasants are taken into slavery 1st by the cartels; walk across w/ a backpack ... no ?'s asked ... (or your hermana here dies) ... then when our b-patrol army takes them down w/ < than 227 kg ... charges are xferred to state court where these poor peasants then go via plea bargains to our private corporate prisons for 1.5-7 yrs .. @ 35K/annum to the az sheeple :} ... compliant humble prisoners = brilliant buisness model ( theres endless peasants) ... provided ... you are sin corazon ... & i spec, have a need to go very badly to church on sunday ...
& we obviously need a sane guest worker program... ah public policy; endless war as usual ... 1st divide to conquer ... then hide the $$$ ... :(
... i think we'll get there, a truly great, tolerant & free society ... just not as fast as i'd hoped ... dangit ...
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

BillMcGighan wrote:
but I wouldn't recommend the reserve for herping. I spent very little time there. There wasn't any cruising, however, maybe there were trails I didn't know about. One road in the area is mainly dirt. A farmer we met was nice. I don't think illegal traffic is a problem.
Thanks Terry
Hope all is well with you and yours.

A day trip to SBNWR would be for birding and/or to see some of the fish there.
We'll be in the Chiricahuas for about 5 days. Come on over. :beer:

I might be able to do that, Bill. Stay in touch and let me know when you'll be there... ;)

PS: I think the birding will be pretty good at SBNWR. That I liked. Didn't know there was fish there...lol.

TC - [email protected]
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I enjoyed your post Regal Ringneck.... Fortunately this is morning and I'm sober.... Just to add to it: Lets put an end to the drug war and the resultant police state economy.

Back to the topic at hand.... paranoia strikes deep. The most worrisome aspect of herping the frontier are those damned border patrol agents hightailing through the back hills all hell bent for leather.

I don't care at all for the trash the immigrants leave in their wake, but that's endemic of the human race, and also the price of overpopulation.
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

reptilist wrote:I enjoyed your post Regal Ringneck.... Fortunately this is morning and I'm sober.... Just to add to it: Lets put an end to the drug war and the resultant police state economy.

Back to the topic at hand.... paranoia strikes deep. The most worrisome aspect of herping the frontier are those damned border patrol agents hightailing through the back hills all hell bent for leather.

I don't care at all for the trash the immigrants leave in their wake, but that's endemic of the human race, and also the price of overpopulation.
Agreed, on all counts. With regard to the drug war, we've pretty much done for the cartels what prohibition did for the mafia.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

What part of Arizona would I NOT hunt for safety reasons.... Well, after some thoughtful deliberation on my part, I do believe that I would avoid areas with a high concentration of gold miners and their claims. The area West of Lake Pleasant rings a bell in that regard. Heavily armed, suspicious, and highly territorial rednecks are a hazard to be reckoned with in the back hills of Arizona.... And they don't think much of environmentalists either.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

... theres alot of logic in that gold mining advisory Terry, there are alot of crackpots fool'n around w/ gold in them thar hills, id also add theirs a goodly # of oddballs living in p/u campers/trailers/etc, who bought those micro waterless ranchettes all along the i-40 corridor, ive bumped into poking about up there over the years ... re: the prohibition, some very refreshing candor recently from CNN's Dr. Gupta on the subject last night, refreshingly honest dialogue for a change.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Refreshing indeed!!!

:beer:
will lattea

Post by will lattea »

"if you live outside the law you must be honest" - robert zimmerman

giving water to humans that need it is a great idea. giving politicians sh*t for unconstitutional wars and BS "free" trade agreements like NAFTA that cause poverty and mass displacement of citizens- even better.

Southern Arizona is a must see for any US herper. I find the majority of US cities more frightening. Period. My only advice would be to split up your time to take in the variety the region has to offer. Take the time to scout areas during the day so you'll feel safer going there at night. If it's a really high traffic area you'll find lots of old blankets, shoes, bottles and imodium packets- maybe don't hit those spots at night. Or do. You can't go wrong spending a few extra days in the chiri's too :)

I would even argue that most of Mexico is much safer than people think. The thing about narcos and illegals is that they're people too, and they most likely are in their respective situation because of extreme circumstances that they too wish to avoid. Taking a gun is silly- the folks that are armed down there don't want trouble- they're protecting valuable merchandise that others with guns want to steal, and if you give them a reason they will over power you. If you're really worried I would suggest learning some spanish- it will go much further than a gun in any sketchy situation. Although I'd be sure to keep your passport hidden- a US passport sitting out on your seat would be a good reason for someone to break a window.

happy herping!

Will
Brandon La Forest

I agree with everything that Will said, except that you are responsible for your own safety....bring a firearm.

Cheers,

Brandon
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I agree with everything that Will said, except that you are responsible for your own safety....bring a firearm.
Let's just clarify for readers that Brandon surely is talking about AZ (and on which point I agree wholeheartedly).

Bringing not-for-hunting firearms into Mexico, on the other hand, is a great way to end up in jail down there. They have zero tolerance for armed foreigners. Friend of mine (male, "just drunk") got himself into a jail down there got a barehanded, dry-finger cavity search. Just sayin'...

Cheers,
Jimi
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

"They have zero tolerance for armed foreigners."

Yep....but if you're a narco?

Perfectly ok.

Even better if you're a narco AND a cop.

-Kris
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Jimi wrote: Friend of mine (male, "just drunk") got himself into a jail down there got a barehanded, dry-finger cavity search. Just sayin'...
Cheers,
Jimi
I usually have to pay extra, for those... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
Brandon La Forest

Thanks for catching that guys, my advice was only for north of the border!

Cheers

Brandon
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I would suggest if you want to know the real situation on our border in SE AZ that you read the book, "One If By Land" by William R. Daniel. It tells the whole story and you guys have no clue how serious and insane it really is. It was put together by a rancher friend of mine who lives there and experiences it. The depth of research is amazing. You can find it in Benson at the "Cowboy Way" store. You won't be able to put it down and you'll never think of the border issue the same way again. My rancher friend Larry Dempster has had 25,000 illegals crossing his ranch every year, and they are getting more and more demanding and aggressive. I don't plan to "camp" on the border ever again.
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

Brian Hubbs wrote:I would suggest if you want to know the real situation on our border in SE AZ that you read the book, "One If By Land" by William R. Daniel. It tells the whole story and you guys have no clue how serious and insane it really is. It was put together by a rancher friend of mine who lives there and experiences it. The depth of research is amazing. You can find it in Benson at the "Cowboy Way" store. You won't be able to put it down and you'll never think of the border issue the same way again. My rancher friend Larry Dempster has had 25,000 illegals crossing his ranch every year, and they are getting more and more demanding and aggressive. I don't plan to "camp" on the border ever again.
Thanks!
I still love it there, but it does make me nervous to camp, even on my place. They sometimes come that way.
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

I haven't had any issues in southeast AZ and I camp alone (armed). I have had my sleep interrupted by bears, mosquitos, and border patrol flashlights.

I don't really hunt west of I-19 due to lack of interest in much in those areas, not safety reasons.

I've been in a lot crappier situations in big cities and small towns.....
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

Norman D wrote:I haven't had any issues in southeast AZ and I camp alone (armed). I have had my sleep interrupted by bears, mosquitos, and border patrol flashlights.

What scares me the most is javelinas at night. Not much BP at my place, but many on the main road (I feel better when they are around). Most of the time I sleep out in the open and yes I perfer to be armed.
I hope I'm not the only one that does not like running across javelina, I think they are cool if they are far away. :lol:
PS I don't live there, so I only have little info on this subject. However my nieghbors call every week and keep me informed. :)
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

STOP THE PRESS!!!!

Hubbs actually recommended a book that he didn't write!!!!

Hole-E crap!!!!

(You gettin' some kind of kickback or what Hubbsie?) ;)

-Kris
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

No, it's just a really good book. I saw it in his store when I was delivering some of my venomous books. 8-)
robert

Post by robert »

All:

If I may move us back towards the original topic, I have a question that may help an 'AZ Wannabe' be safe. On my recent trip to AZ (See 2013 Monsoon outing, I continued on my own for about a week. Part of my trip was to Organ Pipe National Monument, to hike and hopefully find either (or both?) a rosy boa and/or shovel nosed snake.

My timing was perfect. The sun would set in about 45 minutes and it rained the day before . I was within a couple of miles of the area I hoped to hike. But as I turned a corner, a couple of migrants came towards my car (I was driving about 10 MPH). I think they thought that I was there to pick them up. I waved them off and sped up. That was the totality of the interaction.

But as I drove towards my destination, my paranoia increased. Clearly I saw them. Once there ride arrived and picked them up, would they tell the driver about our interaction, and maybe they would hassle me (or worse) while hiking. Or sabotage my car while I was hiking.

Being from Boston, I get very few chances to hike as the sun goes down and then take a road ride. But I am also a very cautious person, and do not want to have any trouble far from help. So, should I have stopped to have my hike or should I have abandoned the hike and just cruised the loop road? I will admit, that I chickened out. I simply cruised the loop road (found two Mojaves and one Diamondback). No boas or shovel nosed. I know my timing for the boa was off (Aug vs April/May) ,but this is when I can come to AZ.

So my question is, did I do the right thing? Was I prudent to abandon the hike or should I spend the winter regretting that I missed about ten percent of my chances to hike/road ride in 2013? Honest answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Robert
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I would think those illegals were as eager to get away from you as you were from them. However, I wouldn't have left my car in a place they could get to easily.

TC :crazyeyes:
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Robert,

Immigrants want only a few things when they cross...None of those things entail hassling out of state tourists. Whether these guys were running drugs or just crossing for work, it would be counter productive to start an unnecessary squabble with a US citizen. They want to hop over (preferably unseen), drop their load or catch a ride and get away from the border.

I think you would have been fine....No telling how many times immigrants have walked by my campsite as I slept....but I know that they do, as evidenced by the footprints in the morning.

All that said, taking common sense precautions regardless of the "immigrant issue" is...well...common sense.

-Kris