Herping the San Diego Zoo

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Craig

Herping the San Diego Zoo

Post by Craig »

Well maybe herping the San Diego Zoo isn't quite field herping but I'll be in San Diego later this summer and have always heard they had great herp exhibits. Should I put a Zoo visit on my to do list?

Thanks,
Craig
Sam Bacchini

Re: Herping the San Diego Zoo

Post by Sam Bacchini »

I haven't been there in many years, but its definitely worth the trip.
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

I was just there a few months ago. Definitely a place worth seeing!
Nate S.

Post by Nate S. »

The herp collection at San Diego Zoo is the most amazing I've seen and I actually saw some anole's running around there too haha no doubt they were introduced there.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Regarding the Zoo herps, it is an impressive collection with some amazing displays that they no doubt spent staggering sums designing. In addition to typical specimens displayed in a row, you will see many large enclosures, some with multiple species, which is fun to watch. With SD Zoos mild climate, many specimens are outdoors. Try to go in the morning while they are basking.

Herps outside the enclosures include Anolis (escaped feeders?) and Western fence lizards.

Favorite displays for me are the large fresh water turtle/Gharial enclosure and the community of lizards, including orange headed agamas and sungazers. The caiman lizards are in an amazing enclosure, I often return from the Zoo filled with new ideas. Many enclosures have impressive plants within, and it is curious to see zoo visitors who are unwilling to invest more than 10 seconds to locate the reptile displayed within some of the heavily planted vivaria. A few specimens are difficult to locate.

Favortie species not often seen include MangShang (sp?) mountain vipers, and the sheltopusiks which share an outdoor enclosure with marginated tortoises and jeweled lacertas.

The Zoo had a big shake up in the Herp staff, there may have been changes of which I am unaware.

Have fun, I think a "must see". Vic
Craig

Post by Craig »

Thanks all for the positive feed back. I'll definately set aside some time for a visit. Besides, it'll be a good break from the insurance convention I'm attending.

Insurance guy by day, herper by night :)
Craig
chrish

Post by chrish »

It is a great zoo, but bring your wallet. A one day pass for an adult is now $44.
Herpetologist115

Post by Herpetologist115 »

I caught a large lizard outside of the reptile exhibits once. Looked like an Alligator lizard? I have caught many an anole and fence lizards in my day but not too sure what this was. I will try to dig up a picture of it.