Visiting Bohol and Quirino in the Philippines

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Thorny

Visiting Bohol and Quirino in the Philippines

Post by Thorny »

So I am going to be traveling to the Philippines in a month and am trying to find places to go herping in Quirino and Bohol. Right now I am planning on going to the tarsier sanctuary, butterfly sanctuary, danoa adventure park, and the man made forest in Bohol).

That being said, while I understand that the best way to go herping is just to go out and start I am not normally sure where and how to start. In the US I can find parks and public land and I understand the rules and in the Philippines that is not really the case. In Quiriono's case I don't even know if there is even enough tourism infrastructure to rely on.

So any tips on where to find good places to herp or strategies to going about it and tips for herping would be very highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Fieldnotes

Re: Visiting Bohol and Quirino in the Philippines

Post by Fieldnotes »

Your picking a great place to visit. Bohol is filled with herps from Tokay Geckos to Sea Kraits. They are easy to find too, all you have to do is step outside your hotel room. Tokays are everywhere, as are Giant Cane Toads. When I was there the rains would bring creatures out in force. I would simply walk around the hotel property and find stuff. The Sea Kraits are found by snorkeling.

Cane Toad

Sea Kraits are common.

I found that the sea Snakes didn’t come to shore to rest at Panglao, instead they would rest out of water coiled in the bamboo of this raft. After this picture was taken, I swam beneath this raft. There was a small space for me to stick my head above water and some space for the snakes to rest hind beneath the raft's floor, Kind of felt like being under a car. On this rainy day, sea kraits were dropping from this raft and into the sea like Medusa having a hair cut... it was awesome. Image

Chocolate Hills

Tokay

Car gas sold in used Coke bottles
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Wonderful pic of the Tarsier! My favorite prosimian!

Woe the medusa looks like Selma Blair. Hot kinda.
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

That Tarsier picture is on the cover of schoolbooks somewhere in the world. Many years ago, it was sold to a publishing company that told me that is what they wanted it for.
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

For the record I am just going to post everything here as I have no idea how to ID most of the critters. Sea kraits, Tokay geckos, marine toads, and pythons are an exception of course.
Martti Niskanen

Post by Martti Niskanen »

Thorny wrote:For the record I am just going to post everything here as I have no idea how to ID most of the critters. Sea kraits, Tokay geckos, marine toads, and pythons are an exception of course.
Please do.