I'm not a herper; I just like catching snakes-Norcal edition

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mr.Talltree

I'm not a herper; I just like catching snakes-Norcal edition

Post by Mr.Talltree »

Here is the latest culmination of my snake encounters. I've managed to find a few more lifers, tons of rattlers, and lots of other cool stuff.

First off is a juvenile Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus oreganus, found in Contra Costa county.

After diligently hunting for Diablo Range Garters around this pond, my cohort Jared found someone else that was probably hunting garters: A California Kingsnake, Lampropeltis getula californiae, in Contra Costa county. I was pretty excited, Jared was less enthusiastic.

Next up is an unusual encounter. I spent the morning before an afternoon class hiking around some park lands in hopes of finding some snakes. No snakes in the park, but on the short drive back to school at around 11am, I inadvertently road cruised this nice sized Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus oreganus, in Alameda county.

With much anticipation, I planned a mid-May trip to the farm. I had lots of boards to check and with some recent precipitation and favorable weather conditions, I thought it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel. Nothing could've been further from the truth--I only found one snake the entire time I was there: A Western Yellow-bellied Racer, Coluber constrictor mormon, Shasta county.

Upon my return from the farm, I was hungry for snakes. I decided to make up for my disappointing trip by focusing on my tried and true bay area spots.

From the start, my bay area resources paid off. First up to bat: Santa Cruz Gartersnake, Thamnophis atratus atratus, Santa Clara county.

A little way from the pond was this Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus oreganus, Santa Clara county.

Down the trail to a promising rocky outcrop, I found yet another Northern Pacific Rattlesnake getting ready for a shed, this one a yearling, Crotalus oreganus oreganus, Santa Clara county.

A week later under the same rock, this little critter had managed to slough off his skin and was looking all shiny and new.

Meanwhile, down the road in another location, there were lots more vipers to be found.

This one was hanging out in some rocks where there should've been my lifer Zonata--another Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus oreganus, San Mateo county.

And another one, this one a yearling.

And then this one which posed nicely for a couple of semi-decent photos.

There were about 3 or 4 more that were seen...or almost stepped on that day, that I didn't photo. It seemed like every pile of rocks was buzzing. I had reached my crote limit and decided to head back to the city.

A few days later I decided to head to one of my spots in Contra Costa county. First find of the day was this yearling Pacific Gophersnake preparing for a shed, Pituophis catenifer catenifer.

Then, with Jared's help, we were finally able to find a species that I knew was there, but never had seen: The Diablo Range Gartersnake Thamnophis atratus zaxanthus.

This was huge one hanging out in the reeds, just out of reach.

After trying unsuccessfully to hook the large Diablo, I took off my boots and walked a few feet into the pond and grabbed this sub-adult that was basking and completely oblivious on the same batch of reeds.

Meanwhile, about 10 feet away, this large Northern Pacific Rattlesnake sat in a hole and watched Jared and I spend 30 minutes trying to wrangle the Diablos.

A few days later hiking with Mrs.Talltree in San Mateo, I found a pseudo-lifer, a flame-phase Coast Gartersnake, Thamnophis elegans terrestris. Oddly, it was on the crawl in a damp, tree-lined part of the trail.

A few days later looking for San Francisco Gartersnakes on the coast, Jared and I encountered this Pacific Gophersnake basking at the edge of a pond. No gartersnakes were seen, not even a coastie. Weird. Pituophis catenifer catenifer, San Mateo county.

By now flipping season was dwindling and it was time to hit the roads. I was thrilled when I pulled over for this guy, which upon initial sighting I thought was a gophersnake. It was a lifer; a Long-nosed snake that refused to sit still, Rhinocheilus Leconteii, Alameda county.

Out in Marin looking for my aquatic intergrade, Jared nabbed what is one of the most beautiful snakes I've ever encountered: A screaming California Red-sided Gartersnake, Thamnophis sirtalis infernalis. They don't get much prettier than this.

Back up to the farm. When we arrived, the area was in the midst of receiving 2 inches of rain from a freak summer-time storm. This inspired me. As soon as it stopped raining, temps were up in the 80s. I checked all my boards to no avail. Being frustrated and diligent, I decided to go back out and stomp around in hopes of finding something on the crawl. I departed for my afternoon effort around 4:30; by 5:15pm I had searched all the pond habitat for garters with no luck. As I was walking around the scrub terrain near one of the pastures, I looked down to my right to find a great surprise: a full-grown California Kingsnake, Lampropeltis getula californiae, Shasta county.

Elated at my discovery and full of steak, I decided it was time to test out some of the local back roads in the area. The moon wasn't rising until after mid-night and the temps were holding strong in the mid 70s. I headed out at dusk and it automatically paid off. On my first pass I found a DOR Valley Gartersnake, which would've been a lifer, and then on my return pass, I came across the 947th Norpac I had seen since March--he was heated and moving too fast to photo. About 3 minutes farther down the road I found this adult Cal King stretched out on the asphalt.

The next night I headed out to the same road and within 5 minutes cruised a juvenile Pacific Gophersnake--he was hot and quick and I didn't catch him in time for a photo. 10 minutes later I found this sub-adult Cal King.

Back in the bay area, with temps high, I decided to do some more cruising. First find of the night was this Guiness Black & Tan morph California Kingsnake, Lampopeltis getula californiae, Alameda county.

Another King, Gophersnake, and Rattlesnake were found, but not photo'd. And then this, another lifer for me, was found on our way out: California Glossy Snake, Arizona elegans occidentalis, Alameda county.

That's it for now. There are still many, many snakes that I need to find this year, so I'll be out wandering the marshes and ponds and cruising various roads until these goals are met or my life falls apart at the seams.

Thanks for checking-
Luke
TimCO

Re: I'm not a herper; I just like catching snakes-Norcal edi

Post by TimCO »

Thanks for a sweet post Luke. Those garters get me fired up to come out your way. Nice glossy too.
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Great post. The Glossy and the Long-nosed fill me with jealousy.

JimM
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

nice! that red-sided was stunning. jim
TravisK

Post by TravisK »

I am pretty sure this does actually make you a herper ;) Nice post.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

....I regret not going out with you guys for that Glossy....

Good stuff, Luke!
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Some nice finds. That infernalis is amazing. I plan on coming down to the Bay next year and hope to find all those garter species you found and are still looking for.
CCarille

Post by CCarille »

Nice post! The Red-sided sure is a beauty!
Eric East

Post by Eric East »

I'm not much on garters but, that red sided is AWESOME! :beer:
mikeofyle

Post by mikeofyle »

Eric East wrote:...that red sided is AWESOME! :beer:
My new wallpaper! :mrgreen:
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

mikeofyle wrote: My new wallpaper! :mrgreen:
Same here. If those aren't the most beautiful NA serpent, they are certainly in the running, IMO.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I was dazzled by all the rattlesnakes. Then I saw the red-sided garter...WOW. That animal takes dazzle to a new level.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

i nominated it (the first RSG pic) for 'pic of the week'... others (IMO) should as well... :thumb: jim
Mr.Talltree

Post by Mr.Talltree »

JAMAUGHN wrote:Great post. The Glossy and the Long-nosed fill me with jealousy.
Jim--We'll have to get you out on the road with us soon. Shouldn't be too hard to get you a Glossy and a Long-nosed. Temps are supposed to by picking up by this weekend...just sayin.
TravisK wrote:I am pretty sure this does actually make you a herper ;) Nice post.
You may be correct with your assessment, but let's keep it under wraps ;) :lol:
CCarille wrote:Nice post! The Red-sided sure is a beauty!
Eric East wrote:I'm not much on garters but, that red sided is AWESOME! :beer:
mikeofyle wrote:My new wallpaper! :mrgreen:
Mark Brown wrote:Same here. If those aren't the most beautiful NA serpent, they are certainly in the running, IMO.
Tamara D. McConnell wrote:I was dazzled by all the rattlesnakes. Then I saw the red-sided garter...WOW. That animal takes dazzle to a new level.
I'm glad you all enjoyed that little Red guy! They really are unbelievably striking.
hellihooks wrote:i nominated it (the first RSG pic) for 'pic of the week'... others (IMO) should as well... :thumb: jim
Thanks, Jim! I'm flattered.

Luke :mrgreen:
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

I've never found any garters that amazing! Even when I was living in Novato never got that lucky. Thanks for the great post.