Most Wanted

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

TimCO

Most Wanted

Post by TimCO »

What are the 5 species you'd like to see in the wild the most? I'll go first.

Farancia erytrogramma

Lampropeltis calligaster occipitolineata

Dermochelys coriacea

Rafetus leloii

Protobothrops mangshanensis
Jeremy Westerman

Re: Most Wanted

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

You didn't say it was limited to herps so that opens a whole new ball game like snow leopards or mountain gorillas but I think you meant that so I will stick with herps. No way I can pick just 5 though so I cheat with 10, the first 5 don't really count, I have wanted to see them ever since I was a kid:
1. Green Anaconda Eunectes murinus
my favorite animal at work. I would love to see one in the wild.

2. King Cobra Ophiophagus hannah
I viewed a captive one closely during venomous training at Snake Farm
Any cobra species in the wild would be a lifer, I have worked with a few species in captivity

3. Komodo Dragon Varanus komodoensis
I viewed captives closely during zoo work at San Antonio zoo

4.Galapagos tortoise Chelonoidis nigra
I have worked with this animal in captivity

5. Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake Crotalus adamanteus
I have worked with one during venom training at Reptile Adventures but have never seen one in the wild

6. the Bushmasters South American bushmaster Lachesis muta muta, Atlantic forest bushmaster Lachesis muta rhombeata, Black-headed bushmaster L. melanocephala, Central American bushmaster L. stenophrys, Chochoan bushmaster L. acrochorda
I hooked a L. stenophrys during venomous training

7. Fea's Viper Azemiops feae

8. Saltwater Croc Crocodylus porosus
I have worked with this species during gator/croc training at Reptile Adventures

9. Black Caiman Melanosuchus niger

10. Spider-tailed Horned Viper Pseudocerastes urarachnoides
Although I have no plans to go to Iran ever, its too bad the world is the way it is.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

That's a tough list to narrow down to 5 as Jeremy mentioned. I'd have to say that a few of the first ones I thought of were mentioned by the two of you so I will try some of my wish list that hasn't been mentioned yet.

1. Tuatara. Two words; Living. Fossil. That has just stuck with me ever since I read about them when I was 3 or 4, and I finally saw one at the St. Louis zoo last year.

2. Fierce snake or inland taipan. Growing up I remember reading it was the most toxic of any land species, and then of course Steve Irwin encountered them on his shows a few times while I was at an impressionable age as a herper.

3. Any sea snake species. They'd all be lifers and I would ideally find one in a tidal pool so photography and observation could be done with little to no risk of getting bit or drowning because I forget that I'm not a fish lol.

4. Arboreal alligator lizard (Abronia sp.) Any species really, but some of the rarer or more colorful ones would top the list.

5. Tiger rat snake. Not super rare or anything but ever since I was a little kid and saw a striking black and yellow specimen, I've wanted to find one in the wild.
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

My top five..

First five I find!

Ok now a real list. Since I doubt I will ever get to go on a herping expedition my list is more reasonable for me. Of course I would have to get great photos to prove my claims.

Not in order of wishes

Indigo snake

Eastern diamondback

Vine snake

Ridge-nosed rattlesnake

Saddled leaf-nosed snake

Always good to have goals
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Crotalus lannomi or ericsmithi (Autlan Long-Tailed Rattlesnake or Guerrero Long-Tailed Rattlesnake)

Crotalus culminatus (Northwestern Neotropical Rattlesnake)

Crotalus adamanteus (Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake)

Crotalus willardi amabilis (Del Nido Ridge-nosed Rattlesnake)

Varanus komodoensis (Komodo Dragon)

Though in my home state (Arizona), I would like to find Crotalus oreganus concolor (Midget-Faded Rattlesnake), Crotalus willardi obscurus (NM Ridge-nosed Rattlesnake), and Sistrurus catenatus edwardsii (Desert Massasauga) within the state lines.