NJ Pine Barrens last week

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

pops

NJ Pine Barrens last week

Post by pops »

My son and I took a two-day trip to the NJ pine barrens and had a blast! We were lucky to observe 23 speices including some very interesting DORs. Happy herping and summer to all!! -Dave
habitat for the next DOR
tomharten

Re: NJ Pine Barrens last week

Post by tomharten »

Those DORs were heartbreakers. I went to the pines around the same time of the season two years ago and only saw some worm snakes, ring necks, and a DOR pine and a DOR CP milk. Lots of tick bites and a bunch of chiggers despite liberal application of DEET!
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

i agree those DORs are so sad i havent seen those species either :( the PBTFs are spectacular though, my favorite frog
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Nice finds, sad the shape they were in but at least now you've got some positive spots.

I never knew Jersey had such nice corns.

As for this:
Lots of tick bites and a bunch of chiggers despite liberal application of DEET!
I recommend something like this for your pants, boot socks, hat/cap, and outer shirt, and just use a little repellent (DEET, picaridin, or other) on your exposed skin:
https://travmed.com/ultrathon-permethri ... llent.html

Chiggers are an unpleasant nuisance, but don't mess around with ticks. Beat them, or be prepared to pay bigtime. The permethrin-on-clothes method is absolutely, devastatingly effective for crawlies. Somewhat less so for flyers, but still a good part of the overall protection.

With the crawlies, when they get on your permethrin-treated clothes they seem to loose all appetite, and jump right off. They don't make a beeline for the skin-clothes boudary. They just get off you. Nice.

Cheers,
Jimi
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

You had a decent trip. You have to take the DORs into consideration, as frustrating as it is. The Pine Barrens is brutal on the soul sometimes.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

I agree the pines take a lot of patience. That Corn DOR made me cry :( but now you know where to go. I went there yesterday and cruised for 3 hours with nothing so sometimes you'll strike gold and others not so much
tabernaclegary

Post by tabernaclegary »

Maybe it's because I live there but when I go out I'm just wearin a pair of light colored shorts and light color tee or tank top and in July thru sept no socks and running sneaks. My weapon of choice is a lint roller. Every 200 yds or so a spot check and after any heavy weeds etc. lint brush works great on the tick larva (what a lot of people call chiggers). If you don't like the deer flies bombing your head a hat will do, I just catch and squish them haha.