Moderator: Scott Waters

Biker Dave

Is There Anybody Out There!?!

Post by Biker Dave »

So what is everyone up to?
sjfriend

Re: Is There Anybody Out There!?!

Post by sjfriend »

Hey Dave. I am Enjoying the 50 degree weather at home! Will be in AZ on Sunday though. Can't wait for the heat... Wait, what am I saying!!!!! Hope to get out for a night or two. Will only be there a little while though.

That's what I'm up too. How about you?
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Not much up here, Dave. Everything I find is a lifer, though, so I can't be too bummed. :lol: So far, I've seen....

a Smooth green...

DSCF0162 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

a handful of Eastern milks...

DSCF0109 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

dozens of Eastern garters...

DSCF0035 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

and one Red-bellied.

DSCF0041 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

DSCF0042 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

I've also seen some frogs, dozens of sallies, and a newt, but haven't photographed any. (I'm not that bored yet. :lol: )

I'll show my AZ friends some of the new habitat I get to explore....

DSCF0124 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

DSCF0157 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

DSCF0006 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

DSCF0091 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

DSCF0089 by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

I hope you guys are having a productive year. :beer:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Cool stuff Josh! Looks like you could have a lot of board line action going on there?

And whats to be bored about with newts and sallies?
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Steve

I think you will be walking into the first days of the Arizona Furnace! I think the temps are expected to be in the mid teens (thats 100 and teens for the unacquainted) this week! Good times....
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Dave, I'm still around southern Pima County. I went on a trip through Utah, Idaho, and Nevada the last couple weeks of May and first week of June. I'm still working on putting my data into the HERP database. I got behind on domestic stuff, so I've been working at home lately, but have cruised locally.

Here's a cute young glossy I found recently.....
Snake was held overnight for observations and photos, then released the next night.

I'll be heading to MI for a couple weeks near the end of July beginning of August, then it's monsoon herping for sure. I've still got to visit some of the northern counties.

PS: Josh, where are you at in MI? Looks like you're Up North (for the green). I'll be hitting the U. P. the last week of July.

Terry
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Hey, Josh. I just noticed your avatar says you're in Vanderbilt. I used to live near Indian River, about 20 miles north of there. The rivers around there have wood turtles in them and Eastern hognose are in sandy areas and forests around there. Thanks for the pics you showed.

Looking forward to some rain here. We sure need it and I want to get up into the mountains soon.

Good luck in MI......TC
Bob McKeever

Post by Bob McKeever »

Hi Dave,
Since my trip to AZ for the expo & then a Coyotes hockey game the following week I've been so busy with a house remodel that I haven't had a chance to get out much. A few herping sessions here in southern Nevada with nothing special to say anything about, but no trips into AZ. Hoping to get down your way in July & August.
Bob
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Thanks, Dave. You are correct, board lines seem to be the best method up here. It can be tricky finding trash piles on public land,though, due to the fact that the state has done a marvelous job of cleaning them up. Most of the ones still in existence are on private land, so I've started making some hidden sites to keep me busy.

As far as sallies and newts, the only reason they bore me is that they require no natural ninjabilities to catch. :lol: I've seen one rattlesnake this year (a ruber) and a bunch of, "cold," stuff. I'm sure I'll move on to the amphibs soon, though. Herp diversity up here sucks, unlike Arizona. But, also unlike Arizona, when you find a good spot, the snakes are everywhere. The second gartersnake I flipped was accompanied by two others under the same board. It's not at all uncommon for me to find ten or more snakes in as many minutes.

Terry, thanks for the tip. I've been meaning to get out to the dunes soon and I've never even been to the U.P. As you noted, I'm at the last knuckle of the middle finger up here, and I'm hoping to make some good finds. Did you know that we only had one DB entry (a skink) for Otsego county? I'm going to increase that number by 900% as soon as the wrench icon gets fixed. Even DNR doesn't have any records of saugies from this area, despite the beautiful swamps and grassland. I'm going to blow Northern Michigan up, if I can just find the will to spend less time herping and more time entering data. :lol:
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Terry, thanks for the tip. I've been meaning to get out to the dunes soon and I've never even been to the U.P. As you noted, I'm at the last knuckle of the middle finger up here, and I'm hoping to make some good finds. Did you know that we only had one DB entry (a skink) for Otsego county? I'm going to increase that number by 900% as soon as the wrench icon gets fixed. Even DNR doesn't have any records of saugies from this area, despite the beautiful swamps and grassland. I'm going to blow Northern Michigan up, if I can just find the will to spend less time herping and more time entering data. :lol:

The problem with Otsego County is that it has the highest elevation in the northern L. P. It is also heavily forested (best for amphibs). However, milks, greens, racers, and other snakes have been found there in more open areas. That was before I got involved with photography or databases. It's true that in good areas with some nice cover, multiple snakes can be found in a short time. The most I found under one rock was thirteen, a combination of garters, brown, redbelly, and green snakes. The dune area can be interesting, especially around streams where turtles can be found. Box turtles and wood turtles are possible. Black rats have been found near the dunes also, and I found the queen snake near Lake Leelanau. Massasaugas are more prevalent near Lake Huron. They have been found around the Au Sable River though. They like river basins and hibernate in cedar swamps. Hoggies like lower elevations, but sandy soil, so rocky coastal areas won't be good for them. Butler's garter can be found in Alpena and Presque Isle Counties in coastal areas.

I think the diversity is pretty good for snakes and amphibians. There's at least seventeen kinds of snakes and eleven toads and frogs in MI, as well as many sallies and some nice turtles. Forget the lizards except for a few skinks.

Best....Terry
Southwest wanderer

Post by Southwest wanderer »

Have been pretty busy growing native plants. Not getting out as much as last summer, so at least a few herps are coming to me. Here is a magister I caught in my greenhouse one morning. Not sure why he was climbing the Coral Bean (Erythrina flabelliformis). I think he might have slept here, he was cool and easy to catch.

Waiting for rain....................

Janine
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

So, I will be there this Sunday for a week +. I will be leaving highs in the 60s (what am I thinking???) Is anything moving in this heat? Even down south is going to be hot! To bad the monsoon isn't starting early. Guess I can always look for sidewinders. Anyone interested in going out to melt?
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Steve ... go out at around 4 am.... it should be down around 95 by then!
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Steve, I'm going out Sunday. Should be some rain this weekend. Also, I've tried to get coral bean to germinate. Do you use very moist soil? No luck here, yet.

Terry
[email protected]
Southwest wanderer

Post by Southwest wanderer »

Terry,

You have to dremmel the seed coat. Give it a hard nick through the outer hard exterior. Just 2mm is fine. I sow them in small containers of a soil substrate that drains fast. They germinate easily in the warm season (now). That is the controlled method. You can try a direct seed in desert soil, but I still think seed stratification is necessary. Plus warm substrate more often moist than dry.

There you go, good luck. Or if you want any plants I am raising up I'd be happy to share.

Other herp news, while drinking beer on my patio, 2 Sonoran Desert Toads both adults are hopping through. 94 degrees current.

Janine
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Terry, sorry for the ate reply. My son knocked my computer onto the floor so now it only works for a few minutes at a time. :lol: You rock. I'll send you a PM later today or tomorrow.

Dave, I owe you an apology for the thread-jack. What have you been up to, man? I'm sure you can beat just about anything that I've posted. Lets see some pics! :D
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

Biker Dave wrote:Steve ... go out at around 4 am.... it should be down around 95 by then!
VERY FUNNY!!!!!!!!
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Josh...

Great filler stuff....now let's get to the main course.

Where are the hogs n' saugs?

-Kris
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Janine, thanks for the tips on seed starting. That should help.

I went out last night when it started to rain and by 7:30, temps were in the 60's. They rebounded after dark and when the rains had subsided. I got my SDT'S (Sonoran desert toads) and Couches' spadefoots. Also saw a couple gopher snakes and a big atrox when I got home, next to our driveway. We needed that rain. Now the plant life should green up and store up some needed water. Herping might be pretty good this week, only I have to be gone Wednesday and Thursday for our anniversary.

Talk more later.... TC