... red touch yellow; makes 4 a happy fellow ...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

regalringneck

... red touch yellow; makes 4 a happy fellow ...

Post by regalringneck »

... so im working my way up a local arroyo, when i spy a beautiful serpent moving towards me, the general black & white lulling me into thinking what must be an exceptionally pretty kingsnake ... i start fumbling for my cellphone ...

Wow its been 8 years of fairly regular hiking since i last bummped into one of these beauties (i might see 1 or 2 DoR's/year), and this is only # 3 mebbe 4, while day hiking,in my entire life :p

The number of black bands is unusual, as was the low elevation and very xeric area it was found in. I somehow managed to resist the temptation to capture it & instead watched it until it goes into a tangle of paloverde roots & disappears into its subterreanean lair ... as well as into my memories :}
AndyO'Connor

Re: ... red touch yellow; makes 4 a happy fellow ...

Post by AndyO'Connor »

very cool, thanks for sharing your encounter.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

... i feel guilty posting such lousy pix (mebbe there otta be a cellfone-foro), or take my daughters advice & get an ifone, hers takes pretty darn good shots :p ..
.. anyway the thnx goes to you and so many others for really taking the time it does to create those beautiful megaposts .. i havent done one of those in some time, & not to say the single sps posts arent appreciated too.
... back to which, im estimating w/ my work & play (its a fine line) over those 8 years, i was in corale habitat ~ 2.5-3 days/week, say 2 hrs on average; 52 weeks per year, but only 2/3 of them are likely activity months ... so my math predicts a diurnal walk-up corale every ~ 1375 hrs of hiking ...
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

That's pretty impressive field time. As I work for a cell phone company and read reviews a lot, I will tell you that the iPhone is decent for photos but not the best. I would strongly recommend the Windows 8 phone, Nokia Lumia 920 (it's what I have) for photos. It's a decent all around smart phone and has one of the best rated cameras for a dedicated phone based on reviews and numerous tests. Not to hijack the thread, but here's two examples of pictures from my phone.

Geqqo

Post by Geqqo »

awesome to walk a coral and i for one don't care what the pics look like its the story and encounter i get the most joy out of. I recently walked my first ground snake and leafnose snake on the same camping trip. the ground snake was a lifer. i just find it is so much more exciting and memory making than road cruising.

dan
CCarille

Post by CCarille »

Awesome find! Corals are always so neat!