Kern Co desert cruising

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

metalpest

Kern Co desert cruising

Post by metalpest »

Cruising the desert of Kern Co CA last night. Started off seeing more herpers than herps. Wasn't seeing anything on the road but did stop and check out some finds others had made.

Mojave Sidewinder

Sidewinder pair. They spotted one on the road and the second on the shoulder after starting a photo session.

Desert banded geckos were out in full force. Coleonyx variegatus

Also saw this crazy insect (ID?)

Seeing more herpers than herps, we decided to move on to another road. Saw tons of traffic though, had to move on to another site. 1 DOR sidewinder and then this neonate spotted leafnose Phyllorhynchus decurtatus

Coleonyx:

Anyone ever found a desert horned lizard sleeping on the pavement? Phrynosoma platyrhinos calidiarum

Spotted this windscorpion:

Coleonyx:

Stopped for what turned out to be one of those grasshopper like insects and this little guy was just of the shoulder Phyllorhynchus decurtatus

Went back to the road with the other herpers hoping they gave up for the night. Still saw some of them and finally found our own cerastes:

OK night, but the rosys have still eluded me. Anyone with advice on finding rosys please PM me.
mtratcliffe

Re: Kern Co desert cruising

Post by mtratcliffe »

Great finds!

I haven't personally seen Horned Lizards resting on the road at night, but I believe I've seen others share similar signs before. Good luck with your Rosy hunt!
ADCIII

Post by ADCIII »

I found two P. solere asleep about a mile apart one night and both were tilted to the same angle. I assumed to get the last rays of the sun and just fallen asleep. This was at least 15 or 20 minutes after total darkness. I was surprised as this was a June 26th and I thought this would more likely happen on a spring or autumn date when heat was more at a premium.
Jeremy Wright

Post by Jeremy Wright »

Very cool finds. I'm in LA county and have yet to cruise up into Kern.
I have cruised a few platyrhinos sleeping on the road at night. I cruised one recently at 11 pm on a stretch of road I had cruised not more than 10 minutes before, so the little guy must have just walked onto the road.
Your crazy bug is a Creosote katydid. I've also yet to see one of those, so congrats!
-Jeremy
gcsnelling

Post by gcsnelling »

Very cool, the katydids are really neat but often hard to find in the bush.
metalpest

Post by metalpest »

I thought it might be a katydid of some kind, but wasn't positive. Saw 2 that night, and have seen them there before, so get up to Kern and check them out! Found a walking stick on the road one night a few years ago as well.

Good thing the platyrhinos was on a desolate road. He was small and I barely spotted him, would have been DOR for sure on any other road I was on that night.