Flippin' more rocks than a crack dealer

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mr.Talltree

Flippin' more rocks than a crack dealer

Post by Mr.Talltree »

Here is a culmination of my last month of herping. I had absolved not to post until I found my first California Kingsnake of the year. This proved to be challenging and frustrating. I spent a lot of time in their habitat when conditions were optimal, to no avail. I even had the frustrating pleasure of herping with Jared while he flipped 3 beautiful yearling kingsnakes, while I was only able to come up with a gophersnake and a nightsnake. Oddly enough, nightsnakes had eluded Jared for many years--but a few days later he managed to check them off his list. It took me a little longer to achieve my goal, but I managed to pull it off in an unlikely place.

Hope you enjoy the photos!

Nightsnake, Hypsiglena ochrorhyncha nuchalata, Alameda County

Pacific Gophersnake, Pituophis catenifer catenifer, Alameda County

Jared's first of three California Kingsnakes, Lampropeltis getula californiae, Alameda County

Zach and Jared located this beautiful Alameda Whipsnake, Coluber lateralis euryxanthus, Contra Costa County

Yearling Diablo Range Gartersnake, Thamnophis atratus xaxanthus, Contra Costa County

Sub-adult Pacific Gophersnake, Pituophis catenifer catenifer, Contra Costa County

Western Yellow-bellied Racer, Coluber constrictor mormon, Contra Costa County

Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus oreganus, Contra Costa County

Alameda or California Whipsnake? Located about half a mile from where Zach and Jared found their Alameda Whipsnake. The reason why I'm unsure is due to the width of the lateral stripes--around the mid-body they are 2 half and 1 full scale in width, toward the neck and tail they are thinner. I'm interested in what the general consensus is--if it's an Alameda, then it's a lifer for me.

As if I hadn't found enough of these this year, another Nightsnake, Contra Costa County

A new hobby of mine: Photographing herpers photographing herpers photographing herps. Zach and Jared, Contra Costa County

Massive Pacific Gophersnake found coiled up in the grass next to the trail on the way back to the car in Alameda County. Up until then, the entire outing had been a bust. This specimen was about 4 1/2 feet long and very mellow.

Yearling Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus oreganus, San Mateo County

Santa Cruz Gartersnake, Thamnophis atratus atratus, San Mateo County

Angry Pacific Gophersnake, Pitouphis catenifer catenifer, San Mateo County

A road-cruised yearling Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Alameda County

A road-cruised, very angry Pacific Gophersnake, Pituophis catenifer catenifer

A nice 4 foot Pacific Gophersnake from one of my new spots, Pituophis catenifer catenifer, Contra Costa County

Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus oreganus, found stretched out on the trail back to the car that didn't want to stick around for a better picture, Contra Costa County

A lot of buzzing around this rocky outcrop. Only able to locate this one for a photo. Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus oreganus, San Mateo County

Western Yellow-bellied Racer, Coluber constrictor mormon, ready for a shed, Contra Costa County

Later that afternoon I found this one stretched out across a trail.

Deciding to look for zonata based on Zach's recent success, I headed out last Wednesday to the same area hoping to find one of my own and check it off the life list. Didn't find any zonata, but I did flip two California Kingsnakes less than a half mile from where Zach found his zonata. Surprised, shocked, and ecstatic when I flipped a large, flat rock and found this large female nestled underneath it.

California Kingsnake, Lampropeltis getula californiae, San Mateo County--West of Highway 35

15 feet away I flipped another rock and found this yearling getting ready to shed

On the way back to the car, I flipped this little fat Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus oreganus, San Mateo County

That's it for now. Heading up north in about a week to check some Shasta County boardlines--hope to find some cool stuff.

Luke :thumb:
Zach_Lim

Re: Flippin' more rocks than a crack dealer

Post by Zach_Lim »

:beer:
Here's to a great year, man.
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Congratulations on the lifers and your getula range extension! :beer:

Great pics of some attractive snakes. Even the gophers are good lookin'
fangmaster

Post by fangmaster »

that last lateralis I believe is an intergrade, or it could be a regular lateralis, I found similar snakes in san luis obispo, quite a distance away from you.
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Excellent post, and an amusing post title! Great variety of snakes, and very nice photography as well.

JimM
Owen

Post by Owen »

Really nice finds and as others said, congrats on the getula records. Since you're doing herpers photographing herps, try herpers photographing herpers that are photographing herps :mrgreen: - oh, I guess that's what you wrote.

Maybe going to herpers photographing herpers photographing herpers... how far we can go is only predicated on the resolution of the camera sensor ;)
Ryan Sikola

Post by Ryan Sikola »

Your getulas are lookers! :shock:
Mr.Talltree

Post by Mr.Talltree »

Mr.Talltree

Post by Mr.Talltree »

Owen wrote:Maybe going to herpers photographing herpers photographing herpers... how far we can go is only predicated on the resolution of the camera sensor ;)
I think with the appropriate amount of mirrors, cameras, and herpers, we just might be able to tear a hole in the fabric of space-time! :mrgreen:
jared68nova

Post by jared68nova »

HAha ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this guy :lol: . He's to a year of Flippin Cal Kings like they are flapjacks :beer: . pretty soon you'll be like me.... *yawn* ahh just another cal king :lol:
devlin

Post by devlin »

Doing quite well this year, Luke! Let's see...You should be at the farm by now. Can't wait to hear how the boardlines are producing. Really wish I could've made it up there with you! :(