Chris Smith

Re: FYI - "Snake Fungal Disease"

Post by Chris Smith »

Ignore the mis-placed photo captions... :crazyeyes:

-Chris
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I realize now that I have seen that a couple of times. I suspected it with a garter snake last week. :(
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Sadly I have seen this in a few populations through out S, FL. Most commonly seen in/on Corn snakes and Rat snake in NW Broward County. I believe there is someone studying the snakes in that area.

Dave S.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

In 2004 and 2005 Quite a few of the snakes I found in Kansas had a fungus of some sort. Especially the Rat Snakes and Getula, followed by a few milks... I remember those years being wet, while I was out there. In 2010 I didn't see many with the fungus, but it was appeared to be a much drier year..

I would be curious to what kind of fungus is in the Kansas snakes, and I wonder if the old timer that herped those areas found it common back in the day?

Fundad
Andrew G

Post by Andrew G »

Fundad wrote:In 2004 and 2005 Quite a few of the snakes I found in Kansas had a fungus of some sort. Especially the Rat Snakes and Getula, followed by a few milks... I remember those years being wet, while I was out there. In 2010 I didn't see many with the fungus, but it was appeared to be a much drier year..

I would be curious to what kind of fungus is in the Kansas snakes, and I wonder if the old timer that herped those areas found it common back in the day?

Fundad
Interesting... as a relatively new herper in Kansas (almost all herping from 2011 on), I haven't observed a single case of this fungus. It has been very dry during this period. I wonder how much of it in this area is just natural variance due to wet conditions?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Fortunately (?), the two MN specimens that tested positive are from a locality with resident "old timers." They acknowledge that similar skin lesions have been encountered over the years (and in many other areas of the state)... The next question (and the one many are working to address) is why this Snake Fungal Disease (SFD) appears to be a primary pathogen (cause disease in otherwise healthy animals) in some populations / areas and a secondary (or opportunistic) pathogen in others.

We have a lot to learn...

-Chris
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Very sad. I submitted photos of this eastern garter snake that I suspect may have SFD.

I feel the need to say that I did not handle any other animals after this snake, and I immediately used an antibacterial hand sanitizer after handling it and washed my hands thoroughly as soon as possible. I found it before I saw the article linked to above, and I wasn't sure if these were old battle scars, hibernation sores, or fungus, and I did release the snake after photos. Now I'm not sure if I should have, but what would I do with it?
gbin

Post by gbin »

Good question about what to do with snakes found that seem affected, Zanti. I'm interested in seeing what kind of advice people have to offer on it, myself.

This is a potentially very serious issue, Chris. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

Gerry
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I also suspect this coluber constrictor we found in 2011...notice the lower jaw.

At the time, we thought this nerodia sipedon may have had an infection from a retained eye cap, but now I wonder:

All three snakes I posted to this thread were found in Bristol County, MA.

ETA: Correction: The nerodia in the above picture was from Norfolk County, MA. The nerodia in the below picture is from Bristol County, MA, in the same part as the sirtalis I posted earlier in the thread:

Ugh. This is distressing.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I did hear back from someone at the USGS National Wildlife Health Center, who cc'd the state contact as well. I emailed back, asking what the protocol is. I'll let you know.

EDIT: Update: The MA Division of Fisheries and Wildlife is interested in receiving reports and photos of snakes with suspected SFD (Chrysosporium) and, in serious cases, the live snake. They would also like to receive a snake that has skin problems or lesions that is found dead. They are interested in the range of species affected by this, and right now think that the only local population that is in danger of being wiped out would be timber rattlesnakes.

The garter snake I posted above may very well have lesions caused by Chrysosporium, but the nerodia eye inflammation is probably caused by a retained eye cap (as I had suspected).

I had used this contact form, which is a link at the bottom of the article linked to in the original post: http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/information_de ... t_form.jsp

I'll post this information in the NE Chapter forum as well.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

To report or request assistance for wildlife mortality events or health issues, please visit the NWHC
Web site at http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/mortality_events/reporting.jsp or contact:

Dr. Anne Ballmann, 608-270-2445, [email protected];
Dr. LeAnn White, 608-270-2491, [email protected];
Barb Bodenstein, 608-270-2447, [email protected];
Dr. Thierry Work, 808-792-9520, [email protected] (Hawaii and Pacific Islands); or

Jennifer Buckner, 608-270-2443, [email protected] (single mortality events nationwide).
ChadHarrison

Post by ChadHarrison »

I have noticed a couple L. getula nigra X L. getula holbrooki in Shawnee with these peculiar infection. In a trip to see Sistrurus catenatus catenatus, the researchers had us spray down our boots with a 10% bleach solution before entering the area and upon leaving the area. This was to prevent the spread of Chrysosporium, of course. Hopefully we aren't helping to spread this infection around. I have already prepared several liters of 10% bleach solution. I think I'll start carrying a few spray bottles with me and treat it like a Chrys. infection, just in case. Better safe than sorry.