field guides

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Steve Atkins

field guides

Post by Steve Atkins »

what are your favorite field guides for the Southeast?

I've got Gibbons and Dorcas' "Snakes of the Southeast" and "Amphibians and Reptiles of the Carolinas and Virginia" by Bernard S. Martof, and really old copies of the Peterson's Field Guide and the green one from the National Audobon.
soulsurvivor

Re: field guides

Post by soulsurvivor »

This is going to sound gay, and it's really not a complete field guide, but I often consult my book, Florida's Fabulous Reptiles & Amphibians when I need ID help. I got the book from my dad when I was a kid, and I still love the big color photos. :lol:
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Gibbons and Dorcas are the way to go...I know Mike and he's a extremely knowledgeable and humble guy.

Just to put my first shameless plug out in a while...

In a few months (hopefully) my book A Field Guide to the Snakes of Southern Florida should be out. . .
spineback

Post by spineback »

soulsurvivor wrote:This is going to sound gay, and it's really not a complete field guide, but I often consult my book, Florida's Fabulous Reptiles & Amphibians when I need ID help. I got the book from my dad when I was a kid, and I still love the big color photos. :lol:
Gabrielle, that book is awesome. Like you said, big color photos. I used it to identify a greenhouse frog the other day.
Don

Post by Don »

Conant.
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

Don wrote:Conant.

?
Don

Post by Don »

foxcove4: I was referring to A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of Eastern North America. http://www.amazon.com/Reptiles-Amphibia ... 786&sr=8-1
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

I figured so, but I even googled it and came up with nothing. Thanks, I'll check it out.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

OH, and Bartlett's field guides are all good. . .
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

I have to agree with Don.
Of all the field guides in the last 10 years, I prefer Conant's.
Of course, there are some interesting older ones. :thumb:
and some really retros :roll:
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Josh Holbrook wrote:Gibbons and Dorcas are the way to go...I know Mike and he's a extremely knowledgeable and humble guy.

Just to put my first shameless plug out in a while...

In a few months (hopefully) my book A Field Guide to the Snakes of Southern Florida should be out. . .
Get busy Josh. I'd like to add to the library when it's available...'course, I'd like a signed copy. :mrgreen:
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

For regional guides... Amphibians and Reptiles of Georga, Jensen... and just out... Amphibians and Reptiles of the Carolinas and Virginia, 2nd. ed.
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

Yep, Conant is good stuff. But I'd go with any of Bartlett's books. Very informative with nice color photos and in a lot of cases personal experiences with each animal. Do it!

-Jake
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

JakeScott wrote:Yep, Conant is good stuff. But I'd go with any of Bartlett's books. Very informative with nice color photos and in a lot of cases personal experiences with each animal. Do it!

-Jake
I agree. I gave mine away a few months ago to a good friend...I'll have to get another.

I also like Glenn and Kory Bartlotti's "A Field Guide to Snakes of Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco and Pinellas Counties" for a more local flavor.

Daniel
Don

Post by Don »

I have a copy of Schmidt & Davis' "A Field Book of Snakes", ca. 1941, ninth impression. Don't remember where I got it, but it's a treasure. Very outdated, but heck is was published ten years before I was born! In a few years we'll be calling Coluber/Elaphe/Pantherophis/Scotophis something else new and exciting.

For field guides relevant to the poster's original question, taken verbatim, the answer is Conant. There are many wonderful books to choose from, and I love them all. In my glove box, I want Conant. And I want my oldest copy back from the guy I lent it to! (Fat chance.)

:oops:
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Don wrote:In my glove box, I want Conant. And I want my oldest copy back from the guy I lent it to! (Fat chance.)

:oops:
My one and only Conant copy is a 1958 edition. I was 5 years old...amazing.