NW Chapter Members Introductions

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

PNWHerper

NW Chapter Members Introductions

Post by PNWHerper »

I thought it would be great to hear some introductions from all the members, old and new in the NW Chapter. Some of you have been here much longer than I, and others are brand new. Some of you I feel I have gotten to know somewhat, others I know nothing about. As our May 2-5 NW Chapter Trip is coming up soon, I thought it be great to know something about each other before we meet in the field. Even if you won't make it, please write an intro anyway. ;)

Tell about:
- Your interest in herping.
- Any current or recent herp projects (official or personal).
- A bit about yourself.
- What part of the NW you hail from.
- Anything else you think might be of interest.

Thanks all,

Fil
PNWHerper

Re: NW Chapter Members Introductions

Post by PNWHerper »

Okay, I can start. My name is Filip T., and I am the currently acting as the Pres for this chapter. I have been passionate about herps since I was a little kid, and though I have studied many different aspects of the natural world, herps still remain my favorite group of critters. I spent many years in CA catching different herps near my house as a kid. Later, I got a degree in Wildlife Science from the University of Washington, in Seattle. Though my bent is towards herps, I see myself as a more of a general naturalist. Guess that just means I am curious about many things, and am willing to do the work to learn more about them. ;)

My current herp projects are all related to the book I am working hard to complete, which is the Tracks & Sign of Reptiles and Amphibians of the USA. This book is now several years in the making, and has been an enormous undertaking which could not have happened without the help of many generous people contributing photos, site locations and other key information. The book is the first of its kind, and I hope it really is a big hit among herpers, trackers and naturalists in general. I would have given just about anything to have a book like it as a kid, and now here I am making it. Its very surreal, even now. :crazyeyes:

I am currently living east of Seattle, and work as a full-time instructor/admin/program coordinator at Alderleaf Wilderness College. Tracking is a personal passion, but also one of the areas of curriculum we teach at Alderleaf. It is both a methodology for field science as well as a personal path of awareness.

On a final note, I spent a fair amount of my earlier adulthood practicing wildlife photography and considered doing that as a career at one point. That field is tough to survive in though, and so I now use it mainly as a way to support my career as a teacher and also just for my own enjoyment.

Look forward to reading more about all of you. :thumb:

Fil