Herps Found on Fishing Trips

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Gary2sons

Herps Found on Fishing Trips

Post by Gary2sons »

With all the snow lately my thoughts went to fishing small streams here in Missouri. Can't wait until it warms up. Some years we are finding some of the smaller snake species by now!

Found this little soft shell turtle trying to hide

If you look closely at the second pic it appears the nose has a wrinkle. That pic was seconds after the first

So I have to ask the burning question "Can a soft shell wrinkle it's nose" :?:

Also see many northern water snakes

Caught this adult in the process of shedding

My son showed me this along the bank of a stream and at first I couldn't see a thing

Used flash and very easy to see then, adult common snapping turtle

I think this is a Fowlers toad but not positive, maybe American

One day while fishing on an extremely hot day my son decided to cool off a little

As we were talking I noticed a large snake swimming towards us

Very common snake but still exciting!

Black rat snake but had more pattern than most we find here in Missouri, most adults are mostly solid black

Herpfriend and my son taking pics

After releasing couldn't resist just one more pic on the bank

This is an 18 1/2 inch Smallmouth Bass which brings us here every year

Also catch lots of Longear Sunfish, really pretty little fish

Always nice to find even a few snakes in the heat of Summer while on these small streams.

Thanks for looking!

Hopefully Spring will be here soon!

Gary
gbin

Re: Herps Found on Fishing Trips

Post by gbin »

What, no darters? I can't think of MO's beautiful streams without remembering all the times I've spent chasing after them there. First ones I and a buddy ever found there hopped circles around our ankles and the wheels of his Saab, which we'd just proceeded to get stuck right in the middle of a stream we were trying to cross while looking for an out-of-the-way place to camp. Had to be pulled out by a guy with a pick-up truck and a chain (and an incredulous view of our stupidity for trying to cross what we did in what we were driving). When my buddy started up his car again once it was back on the bank, water shot out of his tailpipe as if from a fire hose, making me laugh and laugh; pretty much the whole exhaust system fell off a couple of days later while we were cruising for snakes, making me laugh some more. Good times!...

Seriously, thanks for the pleasant look at some fun critters and nice habitat, and for the memories. That softshell's a real cutie with its little pug nose!

Gerry
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

love the baby softshell, nice find
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

Awesome series! It reminds me quite a bit of fishing trips in Northwest Arkansas. I once had a black rat swim right up to me and rest against my legs before it continued on- I just stood still and let it do what it wanted.

Your softshell "nose wrinkling" could be due to it dehydrating slightly. Their skin permeability to water is very similar to that of amphibians as hatchlings, and they can dry out VERY quickly. Its nothing that should cause any lasting effect though- as soon as they're back in the water they reabsorb it very quickly as well. It could also be some kind of nose movement like you infer, but I've kept a bunch of baby softshells and never saw them do anything like that before.

Van
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Gerry---Still a lot of darters down here. Funny story about your good times! Thanks for the comments!
MattSullivan wrote:love the baby softshell, nice find
Glad you liked it! Sort of like kids, all cute when they are little!

Van---Thanks for your take on the soft shell. It was a very hot day with the sun out so that might explain it. I never noticed the wrinkle until down loading the pics. Something I will look for from now on.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Good one, Gary, and good timing.

I can think of no other hobby, save birding, that compliments herping so well, bonds you with your kids, teaches you patience and stealth, and reduces your blood pressure!
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Very enjoyable!
:beer:
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Great post Gary - I love how those juvenile Apalone really show the 'pig snout' at times. Great find indeed.

Dave
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Those are some beautiful fish! :beer: I'm hoping to get some freshwater fishing in this spring, maybe this week. The little softshell is a cool find too.
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

BillMcGighan wrote:Good one, Gary, and good timing.

I can think of no other hobby, save birding, that compliments herping so well, bonds you with your kids, teaches you patience and stealth, and reduces your blood pressure!
I totally agree Bill, hard to beat small stream fishing!
reptilist wrote:Very enjoyable!
:beer:
Thanks for the comment reptilist!
walk-about wrote:Great post Gary - I love how those juvenile Apalone really show the 'pig snout' at times. Great find indeed.

Dave
Thanks Dave. Forgot to answer your question about where the milks have the most red. We have some nice ones here but you really have some beauties down your way!
Coluber Constrictor wrote:Those are some beautiful fish! :beer: I'm hoping to get some freshwater fishing in this spring, maybe this week. The little softshell is a cool find too.
Thanks and good luck fishing! Hopefully Spring is right around the corner!