Poison Oak?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

hellihooks

Poison Oak?

Post by hellihooks »

How long before the 'flare-ups' stop, from just an hr or so, in the field?
This SUCKS (and hurts) :(
Seemed fine, when I went out.. wore a hat... minimal sun exposure..SEEMS to reactivate when I sweat.
Up ALL NIGHT, with hot/cold compresses on my face/eyes... trying different creams, lotions, ect. Guess it's time to see a doctor... unless anyone knows a cure... :roll: thx... jim
sitarshaman

Re: Poison Oak?

Post by sitarshaman »

i dont know.....but i always get into poison oak all the time...yeah its a real drag ;-(
sdFH'er

Post by sdFH'er »

Zanfel is a product that I have had great luck with. It is fairly new to the market (only been out a few years). Might be hard to for you to use if the rash limited to your eyelids. If you have the rash elsewhere it is definitely worth the money.
socalherper

Post by socalherper »

Oh Jim,
I feel bad for ya. Poison Oak sucks I have had it many times. Ouch on the eyelids dude!

I have not had PO in a few years and still hike where it is prevelant because now I use this:

Technu rocks. I sometimes put it on before I hike in places I know PO is going to be. PO this time of year does not have leaves and you can still get it. I proved that to myself.

If you try technu it has a lotion to put on the affected areas then wash after 2 to 3 minutes, Let dry and then put on the clear gel.

2 or 3 days is all it should take.

Tony
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Thx guys,
went to urgent care... they said too late for lotions/creams... put me on steroids and prednisone ... and I bought some poison oak/sumac 'dry soap'.
This is my first reaction to .... well, any plant in the field, so... having never HAD to pay attention to what I was busting through... have no clue as to what this is... Oak or Sumac... :roll:
I (3-4 weeks ago) spotted some never before flipped ac, in a small grove of 6-8 ft tall 'shrubs' with dark green broad leaves... caught a branch across the eyes, busting through it, to reach the ac... :roll: Sumac? Thx again for the advice, and hopefully this can serve as a lesson for others... look before you leap... :oops: :roll: :thumb: jim
Owen

Post by Owen »

Just got over some poison oak... I just keep a tube of Tecnu around.

In your case...

You're gonna need an ocean
Of Calamine lotion.

Sorry :(
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Good one Owen... been years since I heard that song. So Appropo :lol: :lol: :lol: It DID however... hurt to grinn... :cry: ;) jim
monklet

Post by monklet »

Jim, go to an urgent care center and get a script to prednisone. Itching and swelling will be over within 24 hours.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

thx Brad... did that...popping steroids/ prednisone right.... Now! Am I on drugs now? CauSE I'D bEe REALLY WEIRD ON dRuGs.. :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol:
mattg

Post by mattg »

JIM, I feel your pain!! , Ouch!! on the eyelids is pretty brutal!!, that might be the worst place to get it, and ive had it almost everywhere at one point or another!. actually just getting over it my self, it is the worst part of herping for sure!! although this time it was worth it cause i flipped two monterey ensatinas in riverside co. which are apparently not that easily found since there were only two in the db before!, Hopefully you found something good under that a/c!!! , i actually think it is worth flipping a/c near poison oak especially down here because it only grows where it is really moist. anyways those pills taste like crap but that plus the cream they give you works good it should mostly clear up after a few days, good luck!
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Oh man, that looks bad. :(

Are you saying you used to be immune and got a reaction for the first time? If so, I've heard that this is fairly typical. You can start out as "immune" but end up allergic like everyone else. Apparently your immune system gets sensitized from exposure to PO over time.

Also, as far as I know there is no poison sumac in California. In fact, I don't think there is any sumac in CA. What we call Laurel Sumac here is not a true sumac and is definitely not poisonous.

In terms of treatment, Tecnu and Zanfel seem to be the best OTC products. Both of them are pretty expensive, one more than the other. Nicholas and I have successfully used jewel weed lotion, salve and soap, a natural product and quite effective. The salve, in particular, is great because it prevents PO rashes if you put it on before. We have done that on occasion when we pretty much know we are going to be in contact with PO (though we always try to avoid it like the plague). And the soap gets the PO resin off your skin after exposure.

Anyway I hope you'll be feeling better soon. And welcome to the rest of the world of PO allergy sufferers :lol:

Robert

PS. May I recommend that you try bush whacking through poodle bush in a burn area next? Poodle bush feels worse than PO, you break out after just a few hours, the rash lasts for 4-6 weeks, and, best of all, there is absolutely no treatment for it. Been there, done that back in 2011 :crazyeyes:
sdFH'er

Post by sdFH'er »

RobertH wrote:Also, as far as I know there is no poison sumac in California. In fact, I don't think there is any sumac in CA. What we call Laurel Sumac here is not a true sumac and is definitely not poisonous.
While you are correct that the Sumac we have here is not toxic like the eastern version, it most certainly can cause similar dermal reactions to poison oak (Perhaps only to those sensitized to it?). Personally, I have a much worse reaction to Sumac than poison oak and know many, many people who have similar reactions to it. Seems like I can just look at the stuff the wrong way and get a reaction :roll:
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

I like washing regulalrly with extremely hot water, it opens the pores to release the poison and will releave the ich for a few hours. {{side note, the hot water also opens pores up elsewhere on the body and may spread the oak}} The oak can easily last 2-weeks or more :(
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

While you are correct that the Sumac we have here is not toxic like the eastern version, it most certainly can cause similar dermal reactions to poison oak (Perhaps only to those sensitized to it?). Personally, I have a much worse reaction to Sumac than poison oak and know many, many people who have similar reactions to it. Seems like I can just look at the stuff the wrong way and get a reaction
This is interesting. I had heard something like that before and then researched it a bit online. Your comment made me go back and do some more research. Like the first time, I came up with extremely few references to the toxicity (or lack thereof) of Laurel Sumac, none of them authoritative (e.g., written by someone with special knowledge about plants).

All that seems for sure is that the plant is in the same family as Poison Oak, and that some genera in this family, perhaps including Laurel Sumac, also have lesser concentrations of the toxic resin urushiol. If they do, it's apparently not on the outside of leaves, as with Poison Oak, but inside the leaves and stems. I.e., you have to break the plant to come into contact with the sap.

I found only one other report (aside from your own) of an allergic reaction to Laurel Sumac, this one a brief forum post (two lines) by a mountain biker from SD. That's seems extremely low given how many people are outdoors in CA and how common Laurel Sumac is.

I am not sure what my conclusion is and would like to learn more specifics about Laurel Sumac. In the meantime, I guess I'll eye the plant with just a little bit more suspicion than before, though I am pretty sure I am not allergic to it, as I have touched it many times before).

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Yeah Robert,
this is the 1st time I've ever had a serious reaction to a plant, and only have suspicions as to which plant caused it. I'll take pics of it next time I'm in the area... although I'm ready to say screw 'coastal crap' and stick to the desert, where the friggin plants just stick you... not poison you. I've seen 3 Rubers this year... nuff for me... ;)
I remember and thought about your poodle brush ordeal, but pretty sure I didn't herp any burnt over spots.

Isn't Jan pretty early for PO to be a threat? And to answer someone's question... Nothing found under the ac, I fought through the brush to get to... :(
Love to get out today... such a nice day... :shock: Maybe I can find the sunglasses and hat from my Elton John costume... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Isn't Jan pretty early for PO to be a threat?
Nope, PO is toxic year around, leaves or no leaves. Guess how I found that out? :roll: :crazyeyes: :lol:

Robert
monklet

Post by monklet »

Good deal Jim, please be sure to post results. ...as if you wouldn't ;-) Hoping for the best. That is one awful case :(
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

RobertH wrote:
Isn't Jan pretty early for PO to be a threat?
Nope, PO is toxic year around, leaves or no leaves. Guess how I found that out? :roll: :crazyeyes: :lol:

Robert
the shrubs I suspect were fully leaved (leafed?)... dark green broad oval leaves... stuff i normally walk around... but... there was this ac...and... :roll:
Thx Brad...ALMOST went out today... but even with my EJ glasses and hat.... DAYLIGHT hurt... :roll: Too bad it's too early to night cruise...:crazyeyes: jim
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

HELLIHOAKS. Sorry Jim I just couldn't resist...Feel better....OGR!!
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Did it look like this:

That would be Laurel Sumac.

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Yeah... looks right... bigger darker leaves (fully mature?) on 6-8 ft shrubs? I'd imagine that new 'spring growth' would look just like that...well... it's confirmed now... :shock:

Watch it OG... don't wanna have to su-mack you upside yo head... :lol: :lol: :lol: OGR... :thumb: jim
Geqqo

Post by Geqqo »

This plant has never bothered me but does belong in the same family (Anacardiaceae) as cashews which can cause an allergic reaction to sensitive people. In fact most of that family is listed as mildly reactive (although curiously not laurel sumac) to people and a few are highly reactive including poison oak and ivy. Mango is also in the family and I sometimes have a reaction to that though very mild. Some cool facts about the plant are: it is the only member of is genus, and the Chumash made a flour from the dried fruits. I also believe that it is listed as a vulnerable plant.

check out this article if you have not seen it, they say that the reaction can look very much like a poison oak reaction http://www.calflora.net/bloomingplants/laurelsumac.html

sorry its this one http://blogs.ocregister.com/community/e ... umac.shtml

Dan
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Oh, man! I am so sorry Jim!

I understand your pain. I still have tons of scars from PO
socalherper

Post by socalherper »

Great replys guys.

I went to the DR. once before I found Tecnu and the Dr. said it was too late and I paid for shots. It didn't get better and just oozed and was very painful.
I went to savon and the pharmacist said put the clear Tecnu on it. It dried up in two days and I was stoked.

1. rule Instructions: When you get home from a poison oak area. Put the lotion all over and let it sit for 2 minutes then shower. You will be good to go.

Tecnu is my friend!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Yeah... no doubt... Thx for all the good advice and empathy. I'm a fast healer (or I'd been dead by now) so between the steroids, antihistimine, cortizone, ect... I'm down to tender chapped eye sockets, and a few painful unhealed cracks across my eyelids. Like a 3rd degree sunburn healing... :?
Digging foundations for Solar panels today, in the wind/sun don't help... but ya can't let a sore face keep you from working... :crazyeyes: :thumb: jim
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Man, that stuff is so nasty. I got a terrible dose of PO when I moved out west from Illinois. Back in Illinois I was used to Poison Ivy, and for whatever reason, I never thought of it out west. After my first herping trip in Sonoma Co, I came home covered in PO. Oozing sores, the works. Lasted well over a month for me. I was taking baths in epsom salts, blazing hot showers, anything for relief. Man, it was misery.

Now I am on to the stuff, I can spot it a mile away, and in some areas, there is sooooo much of it, it's hard to stay away from!!

Bart
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I used to get poison oak every year, but now I take a canteen with me full of water and when I brush against it I just wash it off immediately. You have about 10 minutes to wash it off in the field. There are 2 kinds of poison oak, broad leaf lowland type that grows in oak woodland and the small leaf mountain type. There is a popular mtn in SoCal where people look for zonata, and it is covered with poison oak that has bare stems and little yellow or white berries on it this time of year. Books will tell you there is no poison oak above 5,000 feet on that mtn, but that is horse pucky. I've seen it all the way to the highest point above 6,000 feet. I used to get it all the time, especially on my ankles when my socks would brush against the stems. It grows in low, spreading stands, especially around the rocks. I showed it to Lemm one day, but he looked at the wrong plants...just be sure to change your clothes after a day in the field around that stuff...
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

I bring water and Technu and do the same now. I also wear long pants and a longsleeve white shirt, no matter how hot, and leather gloves (which is nice for flipping rocks and logs anyhow). All the clothes go in a bag and then in the washer right away.

Bart
jdustin

Post by jdustin »

I am one of those fortunate ones who has never reacted to poison oak.
As a kid my friends and i would get into it while herping and i was always the one who had no reaction at all, while they were miserable.
I understand that many with a resistance end up reacting to it sooner or later, but for now, i have yet to react at all.
Hope you feel better Jim. You look like crap man.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Im not sure it this was posted before (just now seeing this) Caladryl works best for me. Comes in a pink bottle and is a mix of calamine and benadryl...not caladryl clear though, doesnt work... youHave to get the original. It works like mud and sucks out the poison when it drys. I apply 2 to 3 times a day, after it starts crumbling off. Not good around the eyes tho..the shot was your only choice. I get it bad too...normaly get it on my balls from it getting on my hands and then taking a piss... :shock: .lol (see jim, coulda been worse) you gotta watch flipping logs n stuff that ..that has po next to it...the pollen will be on the wood as well as plant
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Well... I wasn't really gonna mention it... but I musta scratched my balls the day I got the Sumac. won't ever do THAT again... :roll: :lol: :lol: jim

edit...Who am I kidding? I will scratch again... it's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Brings me back to the days I played baseball :lol: ...and reruns of Married With Children
torquatoiv

Post by torquatoiv »

Better than poison oak in other places ya DOM. lol ;) :beer: